1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The ACLU"s Christian View of War

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By Robert E. Meyer
    Sep 22, 2006, 14:16

In the Monday, September 18th addition of the USA today, a Tennessee minister named Oliver Thomas wrote an op-ed column entitled "A Christian view of war." While Thomas expressed many sentiments worthy of consideration, he made a fundamental theological error in his analysis, which tends to be one of the integral components in delineating the ideology of the religious left from the religious right.

http://magic-city-news.com/article_6683.shtml

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rev, could you clarify this a little? I do not believe that there is Christian Warfare.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in the article to state or imply such a thing.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I thought Christianity was warfare?? Isn't it the fight between good and evil?

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Not any more. We surrendered to the enemy a long time ago when we started thinking in terms of right vs left instead of right vs wrong and good vs evil.

#5 poncho, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
  6. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Is Thomas' article available on line? Shouldn't that be read for analysis instead of a rebuttal?

Besides, isn't it flawed to think of a national response as being Christian? Although a majority of its citizens hold Christian beliefs, there is not a national religion within the United States.

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

There is a Christian warfare within each of us. It is our spirit warring with our flesh. Our spirit desires to do that which is pleasing to God and our flesh desires to do that which is pelasing to man.

Can that be taken to a national level? I suppose so since human beings are the ones running the country.

I don't know anyone whose personal beliefs don't affect their political beliefs, and/or leadership skills, at least partially.

8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

What does the ACLU has to do with this. There're not even mentioned in the article. The article is about differing Christian perspectives. Just more far right propaganda.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's in the title and the last paragraph:
    "As I conclude this column, there is one more thing you should know that I have just discovered. Thomas co-authored a book with the "Rev." Barry Lynn. Thomas was allegedly quoted as saying "The American Civil Liberties Union has done more for religious liberty than many denominations." Maybe that tells us everything."
    I think it's not so much about differing Christian perspectives as about why liberals are wrong, again. I agree that it's just more far right propaganda.