1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the age of accountabilty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dal747, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dal747

dal747 New Member

can anyone help me find any scriptures on the age of accountabilty.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Sorry to let you know, but there are none.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is a baptist tradition to reconcile some of the problems that arise because of the baptist opposition to infant baptism.

The most commonly cited passage to defend this tradition is 2 Samuel 12:23 when David weeps over his dead son.

NASB - 2 Samuel 12:23
    But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.

Although it should be kept in mind that the Hebrew concept of afterlife or Sheol has some differences from our concept of heaven. Also, the OT faith didn't have the concept of being saved to have eternal life.

4. Sularis

Sularis Member

While I think age of accountability exists - Ill be the first to admit its kind of flimsy

But there are verses

1Jo 3:4 ΒΆ Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
    Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

This suggests it requires a certain level of comprehension to actually sin

Ro 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

And of course the verse posted before - there are a few more verses but not that many

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

What about Matt 18:3
    I have always thought that age accountability was taught here that we had to become blameless, like little children under the age of accountability to enter heaven. We are not sinless and they are not sinless, but we are both blameless as Christ has died for our sins.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ya'll throw out your thoughts on this verse, relating to age of accountability:

Acts 17:30-- "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent" (KJV)

Acts 17:30-- "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent"

The age of accountability is a logical presumption that is held--that the individual must possess an ability to acknowledge God and repent. Below a certain mental status, that can't happen. Thus we surmise that God will not hold one accountable who is incapable of repentance.

We also refer to "age" of accountability--when it's more developmental than temporal. A profoundly retarded 40 year-old may have not "reached the age of accountability."

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

rbell;
    Good answer! ;)

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Age of accountability is a problematic theological idea. It presents 2 ways to heaven, despite Christ's assertion that no man comes the the father but through him.

Way 1 - Acceptance of Jesus' sacrifice

Way 2 - Die before being accountable

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, then, I'll bite MP...

What happens to a 3 year-old who dies?

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

If you interpret Acts 17:30 to mean that the Athenians were somehow innocent before Paul preached to them, then why on Earth would Paul ever want to preach to them? If he doesn't preach to them, then they remain innocent and are guaranteed a place in heaven. But if he does preach to them, then that puts them in peril. In fact, we know that only a few people were saved that day. So Paul's preaching to them sent many to hell that day, since they lost their supposed innocence.

That type of thinking puts quite a damper on missionary work.

Another way of looking at this verse is to say that God was forbearing in not bringing immediate judgment to the Athenians - that he gave them more time to repent. Such an interpretation would fall in line with Romans 3:25, as well.

11. dal747

dal747 New Member

I thank everyone for the info on the question.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible also says we are saved by grace through faith. Coming to God through Christ falls under God's grace.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is why so many reformed theologians can't acknowledge this. If the ability to acknowledge God and repent were given to all men, their doctrine crumbles...or if one is not held accountable if they cannot possess an ability to acknowledge God and repent (the reprobate), you would have universalism.