1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 'American Experience' and the Death of Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every culture and civilization embraces a certain set of assumptions about life, truth, significance, and what it means to be human. Without these shared assumptions, common life would be impossible. Individuals within these societies may not give much active thought to these common assumptions, but their decisions, expectations, and general dispositions reflect the presence of these assumptions as what some philosophers call background ideas.
    Enlarge this Image

Out of these assumptions an entire way of life emerges. Background ideas move into the foreground as morals, manners, and the culture at large begins to reflect the decisive influence if these ideas. In America, an identifiable "American way of life" rules as an operational worldview for many persons - perhaps even replacing more fundamental convictions.

"The American way" involves, among other things, patriotism, a sense of fair play, equality, personal autonomy, and limitless opportunity. We expect each other to respect these assumptions and ideals.

But, is God accountable to the American way?

More Here

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this quote says it all.

No party, country or ideology is big enough, strong enough, or powerful enough to create the box that will confine God!!!!!!!

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting article. Thanks for linking us to it.

It gives a good definition or example of people confusing their culture and Christianity.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Excellent thread - thank you.

There has indeed been a blurring on the boundaries between faith and patriotism.

We need to always keep in mind that God does not favour Americans just because they are Americans.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think Dr. Mohler is once again trying to combine our political beliefs and cherished ideas about America with our Christian beliefs. So do those who argue that "America is a Christian nation." Nothing could be further from the truth. The two are like water and oil. They don't mix.

The Bible tells us to be "in the world but not of the world." Yes, we must participate in the political process as Christians but politics must never effect our Christianity. Statements like anyone who belongs to a certain political party or votes for a certain political candidate are going to hell are great for partisan politics but have no place in Christianity.

I believe the the close identification of self-proclaiming Christians with one political party has done more damage to the church than any other single factor since the founding of the "Religious Right." The unsaved look at the American evangelical church and say:

1) They're a social club more concerned with supporting their members than with winning the lost,

2) To join I must change my political party to conform with theirs,

3) They stridently push one party because of its alleged opposition to abortion but that party hasn't much in their last 5 administrations to change the law.

4) That same party while crying out about the sanctity of life starts unjust wars which kill tens and hundreds of thousands of innocents. Dr. Mohler's SBC was the only major Christian denomination to come out in support of the Iraq war. ALL others came out against it including American Baptists.

So, in reality, Dr. Mohler is simply decrying the effect of his own actions with regard to the role of our faith versus our patriotism in America. He's right. The church is suffering because of it.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is my opinion that many Baptist churches are very similar in their church polity compared to a democratic form or government. Some believe a democracy is God ordained. The pastor is similar to the president. Deacons are up for vote just like the senators, etc. The committees are like government committees in a sense.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This thread reminds me of a few things I have been told by friends of mine who are missionaries. They have mentioned about how in some of the countries they have been in that compared to the U.S. it is like there is a cloud over the U.S.

When I think about what the early Christians prayed for (boldness) I find that lacking in many today. I believe Christianity in the U.S. is going from "cultural Christianity" to having to become real. People will need to step up and pray for people, genuinely care for people and be in relationships for the long haul just so they will earn the right to be heard. Where I came from the churches which worked and cared grew. Those who just gave lip service to things did not.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Christians I have met from other countries like Liberia and India where they are persecuted are much more committed than most Christians are in the US. That's obvious. They are in danger of losing their lives because of their faith. It's just too easy here because the Church and the surrounding culture are so integrated. It's the accepted thing to be a Christian in America. That's not good.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are parts of America where the people are antagonistic toward Christians. After living there most of my life and moving somewhere else my wife and I were shocked at the things Christians complained about. Things that we had dealt with for a long time. I find the Christians are closer together and do pray for people more.

The religious politicians do not get a hearing in those places.