1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The American League’s Designated Hitter rule

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Jul 15, 2004.

?
  1. I am a fan of an American League team

27.3%
  2. I prefer games with more scoring, as opposed to low-scoring pitching duals

4.5%
  3. I hate to see a pitcher taken out just because he can’t hit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other sports have special rules by player position (like football has rules about hitting the QB tha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A good pitcher having to bat or run the bases is a target for injury by the opposing team

4.5%
  6. I like the fact that a player can be a DH and still bat if he is incapable of playing the field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. There is actually more strategy in a game <i>with</i> the DH rule than in a game without it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I rather like the 2 major leagues having this one major rule difference in their play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other reason

4.5%
  10. None of these—I am indifferent to the DH rule

59.1%
  11. None of these—I <i>oppose</i> the DH rule

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, Alcott, there's times when the ole noodle serves ya better than a 40-oz corked bat. Ya don't see plays like THAT too often in MLB, but some are memorable, like pete Rose's more than once taking 2b after a walk, Enos Slaughter's "mad dash" in the WS that caught the defense napping, the occasional triple steal.

Both as a pitcher and as a 1st baseman, I several times "trapped" popups with a runner on 1st base so I could try for a double play.( The infield fly rule applies only with runners on 1st and 2nd, or if the bases are loaded.) Being a slow runner, I hadta be aware that could be done to ME!

I still like the DH rule, but if i were managing & had a good-hitting pitcher, I'd let him bat...and if my team had clinched a playoff spot, I'd let'em ALL bat, since they'd hafta bat in the Series.

Strategy? the DH doesn't end it; it merely CHANGES it, so a manager and pitcher must account for the DH in the mix.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In spring exhibition games, do they DH based on who the home team is? [If AL home team then DH; if NL home team, no DH?] I have only been to a couple of spring games before (in AZ) and don't remember.