1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Apathetic American

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Just a little story I thought that I would share with you all. Last Friday while sitting in the lunch room during our dinner break, ( I work night shift) there were about 10 people sitting around engaging in a little political discourse about our new president, his fiscal and monetary policies, the action recently taken on Gitmo, the stimulus package, etc. Suddenly I blurted out the question, "How many of you took the time out of your busy schedules to vote"?
    Just as I thought. Not one hand went up. Of course they came up with the usual excuses. "Doesnt do any good anyway", "It doesnt matter who gets in there, they're all the same" blah blah.
    One guy is from Portugal and not an American citizen so he would have a legitamate excuse but he sits around bragging about how he cheats on his taxes every year and only lets the government have $1000 of his $55,000 yearly income and continually complains about the United States and what a great country Portugal is. Yet he stays here. Go figure.
    I know I am rambling now. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I share your concern about some Americans not being informed on the issues and not participating in the voting process.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have people in my family who won't vote and it makes me furious. To me, voting is an honor and a privilege that costs people in by-gone years many things - from lives to dignity.

I can't fathom not voting one's conscience.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

My concern is those that are not informed and do participate in the voting process :).

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I share your concern as well.

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Sadly, considering how few bother to vote, fewer still bother tell their representatives what they think about issues..... or even give 'em an 'atta boy' for doing well!

Freedom is useful only when exercised. That is how its maintained. When one's freedoms or rights are not known, then they might as well be abandoned.... and by doing so.... one doesn't really know that its gone until he needs it and then its too late.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist