1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Apostle Peter on the Second Coming of Our LORD

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, May 3, 2015.

1. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is how people get into trouble and start predicting dates. You have to read a lot into the passage to get that man only has 6000 years + the Millennium on this planet. Especially since even Young Earth Creationist put the earth between 6-10 thousands years old.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, I never said that. The scoffers of Peter's time did. It is called "uniformitarianism," something that evolutionists believe in to this day. You might say that these "scoffers" were some of the first evolutionists.

All things have continued as they were since the fathers fell asleep.
    We know differently. All things don't continue the same. For example there are catastrophes that interfere such as The Flood. That upsets the evolutionists' geological timetable. Earthquakes do the same thing. All things do not continue the same.

In history God has intervened many times. Scoffers don't see this, and don't want to see this. All things do not continue the same.

Thus to this day there are still scoffers walking in their own lusts saying "Where is the promise of his coming?" As it was in Peter's day, so it is in our day.

Peter mentions the Flood:
    2 Peter 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
    6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
    --There was a time when all things did not continue the same.
    There was a time when God did intervene in history.
    They should be warned by the evidence of the Flood.
    The Flood destroyed the world and God can destroy this world again, and, in fact He will.

Peter continues:
    2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
    --He destroyed the world once he can do it again.
    This is simply a parallel thought given in this passage to scoffers at that time.

In no way is he giving a timeline of all the events from the rapture, Judgment Seat of Christ, tribulation, Second Advent, Battle of Armeggedon, Salvation of the Jews, Millennial Kingdom, Resurrection of the Unrighteous, Great White Throne Judgment, etc.

That is not his purpose--to give a detailed account of a timeline in eschatology. He is simply comparing two different destructions for these scoffers. If God can destroy the world once, he can destroy it again. And he will.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Not the creationist I've read.And definite not the one who taught the Biblical Astronomy class.

Too much evidence to show a young earth. Such as the rate of sedimentation and an old earth would have filled the oceans from now.

The Earth is a young Earth as too are the Sun, Moon and Stars.

4. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a young earth creationist. 6000 to 10000 is the range every young earth creationist gives to the age of the earth. You are the one trying to set a date by reading into scripture

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No Peter said it and History shows it Genesis 1:1 dates it. Plus following biblical years from the age of Adam forward. Not but a few years off but not 4000 years off. Plus depending on what calender is used.

6. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you have just made liers out of the apostles and early church father's that you quoted elsewhere that the coming of Christ was imminent, if it actually was 2000 years in the future to fit your date setting.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

So Peter was not writing to Christians of all times, just the ones in the 1st century? Strange!

So you are saying that evolutionists are so stupid they did not realize millions had disappeared, planes fell out of the sky, cars were without drivers, trains without engineers, utter chaos within the seven year period and evolutionists were too stupid to recognize it! Strange! Even more strange that the evolutionist would say: Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

But those stupid evolutionists can't even remember events that happened within a seven year period. Strange!

We don't have many of those Scoffers around here. Most are Rapture Ready!

I read that!

God intervened in history more than once! The flood did not destroy the world at all. It only killed all animal life except that on the ARC!

There will be a New Heavens and New Earth.

No he doesn't mention the fictitious rapture since none of the scoffers had sense enough to realize what GOD had done some time on the previous 0-7 years! But he does say there will be a New Heavens and New Earth; just as Revelation 20 tells us. There is no time lag between the destruction of the old and the creation of the New. Remarkable what GOD can do. He speaks and it is done!

Actually GOD has not destroyed the world once. He destroyed all animal life except that on the Arc! Got to get that correct DHK!

8. OldRegular

That is about the time span I believe.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does his coming issue in, "the day of the Lord"? The Lord.s day. Is that day, a twenty four hour day?

I was in the spirit on the Lord's day. 1 V 10 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; 1 V 19

Can the totality of the Revelation be understood from the concept of, the things which are, as being the day of the Lord which is a thousand year day and that which thou has seen, being prior to, the second coming, the day of the Lord and the things which shall be hearafter meaning after the day of the Lord, say chapters 21 and 22?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most assume that Peter is writing to the same people as he was in his first epistle, which says:
    1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
    Elect, according to the foreknowledge of God...
    --Yes, he is writing to the dispersed Jewish Christians of his time. Peter fully expected the Lord to come (rapture) in his lifetime. Why wouldn't he? All the apostles did.
    I have no idea what you are talking about? You might ask yourself that question. Did they exist in Peter's time?
    The scoffers speaking here are obviously speaking pre-rapture: "Where is the promise of his coming?" (rapture), especially since he had already mentioned the "Day of the Lord" which starts immediately after the rapture with the tribulation.
    What are you talking about?
    How do you remember an event that hasn't happened yet. The Tribulation is a future event. That is the only seven year period the Bible speaks of.
    Yes, there are many that scoff at the imminent return of our Lord Jesus Christ. I believe it is one of the fundamentals of our faith. That is how I interpret this passage. Scoffers mock at this important doctrine of the Coming of our Lord.
    You are wrong. You are denying what Peter said. Read again:

(ISV) by which the world at that time was deluged with water and destroyed.
    --The world at that time was destroyed.
    Peter was making a comparison between two destructions. One that was, and one that is yet to come--which indeed will be much greater. False teachers need to be warned, and that is what Peter was doing.
    He doesn't mention the rapture, tribulation, Millennium, Great White Throne Judgement or anything else in God's prophetic timeline because that wasn't his purpose. Surely you are not inferring that you wanted to dictate what God should have written or not written--as if to tell us that if there was a pre-trib rapture then God would have written it in this passage right here. That is quite an arrogant presumption!
    Read it again.
    (ISV) by which the world at that time was deluged with water and destroyed.

11. OldRegular

Depends on your definition of "world"!

noun
    1. the earth or globe, considered as a planet.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/world

12. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Because of what Paul said
    2 Timothy 4:8 "Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

Watching for his return that "love His appearing" will bring crown of Righteousness.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Always watch for His appearing.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Everything was destroyed as Peter says. Why contradict his words?
    The water covered the highest peaks of the mountains. It was world-wide in nature. It was not a local flood. It destroyed the world--everything. How can you deny that--both the Genesis account and Peter's word?

15. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That and the fact that God placed a Rainbow as Covenant for mankind that He would no longer send a flood upon the Earth again.

If it was local there are still many local large floods, so if it were a local flood again that would make God a liar.

16. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You either believe you can set a date for His return or that He can come at anytime. The fact that you have double down on trying to set dates shows you don't actually believe what the apostles and early church fathers taught. Quoting this verse doesn't change that you were trying to set dates, and said that He could not come for 2000 years later.

17. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Some commentaries I have read state Peter was showing that if it took 2000 years for Him to return it would still be but Yesterday that Christ died. I was taught the 7000 years of time for man.

We need only be looking for His return. But I still believe that the Bible bears out a close to 6000 year old earth and we will soon see the Snatching away. Leaving 1007 years of time left for man.

According to the Jewish calender we are in the year 5775, that would leave 225 years to reach 6000 and the Lord could come in 232 years, but the signs we are to look for are upon us, so as those of the early church I look for and love His appearing believing His return is imminent.

What year are we in? No one really knows, those early church fathers knew even less than we do.

18. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tripplieng down on date setting now. The Bible is clear that No One knows when Christ will return/rapture his church (depending on your viewpoint) but here you are in direct violation setting dates and making liars out of everyone you have tried to quote to back up your view.

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So what date did I set?

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Imminent = ready to take place

In God's time 1000 years is very soon in <man's time table it any day now. No one knows the day nor the hour of His return. We definitely don't know the exact date or year. We can know from Man's history and the Jewish calender we a very close to man having been on earth 6000 years therefore the age of the Earth is within that time period but not older than 6000.