1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Atonement of Christ accomplished the building of Christ Church !

Matt 16:

18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus here did not mean a literal church building, but His People, True believers in Him, upon the rock of He being the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and the shedding of His Blood..

Within this statement Jesus ensures believers in Himself, that is of all that the Father hath given Him.

His building His Church produces believers, Notice Jesus states " I will build my Church " take that freewillers, for Christ depends solely on His will and not yours to build His Church.

The word build is the greek word:

oikodomeō and means:

to build a house, erect a building

a) to build (up from the foundation)

b) to restore by building, to rebuild, repair2) metaph.

a) to found, establish

b) to promote growth in Christian wisdom, affection, grace, virtue, holiness, blessedness

c) to grow in wisdom and piety

This Ideal is conveyed in acts 15 when James quotes scripture prophecy acts 15:

13And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

This also means that Christ Church was in the OT as well..

And Christ assures us that the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it !

The gates of hell cannot prevent one for whom Christ died from believing in Christ nor from going to heaven..If anyone of the church that the blood of Christ purchased as per acts 20:28b

to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

If anyone of them perish for their sins, then the gates of hell prevailed against the Church that Christ said He would build. If anyone of that Church dies in unbelief and perish in their sins as per Jn 8:

24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Then the gates of hell prevailed against Christ building His Church.

If one goes to hell its because the gates of hell prevailed against them, that is the devil prevailed against them.. Unbelief is due to the devil blinding us 2 cor 4:

3But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,

lk 8:

12Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

So yes, unbelief is due to the devil being victorious ! He prevails preventing one to believe and be saved..Paul says this:

2 Thess 2:10

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Satan, the Devil, the gates of Hell is prevailing against such as these..

But Jesus Christ by His Atoning death will build a community of believers in Him, that shall follow Him..

He says as a complement to Matt 16:18 this Jn 12:

32And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Thats His building, His drawing all to Him that He was lifted up for as the Son of the Living God..

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Christ death accomplished purification of sin to all He died for !

Heb 9:

13For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Those who believe that the atoning death of Christ does not purify all for whom He died, you are reducing the preciuos blood of the Son of God to be even less effective than the blood of bulls and goats, and the ashes of an heifer that accomplished the purifying of the flesh, which was actually a type of what the Blood of Christ does..

Whereas the animal blood only provided outward sanctification and purification, the blood of Christ accomplished a purification of the inmost being, for it [His blood] actually purifies the conscience from dead works to serve the Living God..

Anyone who never comes to serve the Living God, Christ did not shed His blood for them, or His blood was ineffectual ..

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Rom 5:17

rom 5:

17For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

This is another scripture that proclaims the effects of Christ death unto those He died for, they shall reign in life by one..

Thats because the ones He died for will receive abundance of Grace and the Free Gift of righteousness..

Paul writes on down in vs 19, that all those Christ died for shall be made righteous, hence the free gift of righteousness..

The word receive here does not mean a offer was made and received or could have been rejected, but it means effectually given or applied to the ones receiving;

Just like through Adam, men received death, we received condemnation, they were not offered to us but made to apply to us.

Those Jesus died for reign in this life because Jesus by His blood hath made us a Kingdom..rev 1:

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Notice vs 6 He hath made us King and Priest, being washed in His blood.

Thats why Paul says they shall regin in life, the atoning blood of Christ produces that effect..

Jesus blood made those He died for a Kingdom, we are kings and priests soley because of His Blood.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

made Kings and Priest by His blood !

Jesus blood made those He died for a Kingdom, we are kings and priests solely because of His Blood.

So it is True that by His own blood He made us [those He died in behalf of] a Kingdom of priest.

Rev 1:5-6

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

All for whom Christ died will sooner or later in their life time, according to the purpose of God for them, become believers in Christ, to manifest their union with Him when He died, for they were in Him just as they were in Adam when He died, and Just as our union with Adam was made manifest by our being made sinners, so likewise, our union with Christ when He died is made manifest when we are made priest by Christ blood..

1 pet 2:

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

None can by their own freewill be made of a royal priesthood, its an Divine Appointment, and Christ by His blood, causes all for whom He died to become..

5. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You are confusing the Kingdom of Christ with the church of Christ. They are not the same. The "tabernacle" of David refers to the kingdom of David as the type of Christ and the VISIBLE expression of His kingdom in the Old Testament and in the New Testament. The visible expression of that Old Testament JEWISH kindom had been destroyed and sent into captivity and was still in captivity when Peter spoke those words in Acts 15 and the temple, ordinances and ministry were to be destroyed shortly. Christ restored the VISIBLE expression of that kingdom with the building of the congregation and administration of its ordinances and new commission to ALL NATIONS. However, the spiritual expression of that kingdom NEVER CHANGED as the spiritual expression of that kingdom was never dependent upon the The visible institutions or ordinances but upon faith in the gospel alone (Acts 10:43; Heb. 4:2). The visible expression of that kingdom was taken from Israel by God through Christ (Mt. 21:43-44) and given to the new house of God - the congregation of Christ with the ordinances and ordained ministry.

6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dw:

No you are confused, who is paul writing to here ? Col 1:

13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What is your point with this text? It supports my position! I believe Paul is addressing the SPIRITUAL kingdom of God in this text. He did not say:

"13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darknes,and hath tranlated us into the congregation of His dear Son"

The spiritual kingdom of Christ has been the same since the garden of Eden. New birth has been the same (Jn. 3:3-5). Justification as been the same (Rom. 4). The gospel has been the same (Gal. 3:8; Acts 10:43). The Savior has been the same (Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12). The basis for redemption has been the same (Rom. 3:24-26).

What has not been the same is the VISIBLE expression of God's kingdom on earth. There is no "body of Christ" or "the church of Christ" prior to the gospel ministry of Christ (Mt. 18:17) as the apostles were set "first" in this congregation (1 Cor. 12:28) and the NEW TESTAMENT apostles and prophets are the "foundation" of this building not the Old Testament prophets or saints. The same salvation before and after the cross, before and after Pentecost but not the same visible expression of God's kingdom. There is a change in administration, change in qualified ministry, change in ordinances, change in mission.

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Made us Kings and Priest !

Rev 1:

This was done solely by Christ blood, not by freewill acceptance of His blood, but by His Blood He made us a Spiritual Kingdom.

Now the word made is the greek word poieo and means:

to make

to make one do something

1) cause one to

j) to be the authors of a thing (to cause, bring about)

to carry out, to execute

b) to do a thing unto one

to perform: to a promise

This is something Jesus performs and accomplishes by His blood. We as men do not determine with our will what Jesus accomplishes for His Father by His blood. This being made into a Kingdom of Priest is by His Dominion and Power and so it reads in the latter part of vs 6

to him [Christ] [be] glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Some of the other translations of this verse that show the causative nature of being made a kingdom of Priest.

The NIV:

and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father--to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

The NLT:

He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

The ESV:

and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The NASB:

and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father-- to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The GWT:

and has made us a kingdom, priests for God his Father. Amen.

and The ASB:

and he made us to be a kingdom, to be priests unto his God and Father; to him be the glory and the dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

This is a accomplishment of Christ Blood, His Cross, and to Him, not freewill, be the Glory and the Dominion for ever.

Those of us who contribute this to freewill, you are giving it the Glory and Dominion, which will not fair well in the Judgment.

9. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Once again you simply confirm my position not yours. The "kingdom" of God is not the "church" of God as the kingdom preceded the church. The first to be added to the church was apostles (1 Cor. 12:28).

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Atonement of Christ or the satisfaction of Christ took care of Two major problems that sinners had in regards to God's Holy Law, He Christ rendered a Perfect obedience to all its statues, and He endured it's punishment due for its violation for His People, those the Father had given Him, this death of Christ was the taking away of the sin and its punishment due to the elect world Jn 1:

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

That is men and women of all ethnic groups..and all ages of world history..

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

It gives forgiveness or remission of sins !

Matt 26:

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The word remission here is the greek word aphesis and means:

release from bondage or imprisonment

2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty

And it is translated forgiveness six times in the NT mk 3:29;acts 5:31;13:38;26:18;eph 1:7;col 1:14

And so one of blessings of the atonement or the blood of Christ accomplished alone, for all those He died for is the remission or forgiveness of their sins all of them col 2:13

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

As just pointed out the word remission and forgiveness are the same in the greek, and means the cancellation of guilt, all legal guilt against the law of God, that properly belongs to guilty sinners , by means of Christ satisfaction [His Blood], He propitiated the Father in behalf of His People [Israel spiritual]. Christ made complete amends to the Law of God for every transgression which the sins of God's people committed. He by His death satisfied the alienation which are sends had made, He compensated for all the wrongs we had done against God's law ps 69:4

then I restored that which I took not away.

So it is imperative to preach as an accomplishment of Christ blood the forgiveness of sins, not the possibility of , if a condition by the sinner is met, but premised completely on the blood of Christ lk 24:

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Now both repentance and remission of sins were to proclaimed in Christ name, not as duties and conditions to get saved, but as accomplishments of His work on the cross, and He Now as a risen Saviour gives them to a chosen People [Israel] thats what peter preached acts 5:

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Note: Israel here is not national Israel, but the Israel of God made of jew and gentile..national israel was a type for all God's chosen of all nations, so this scripture shows us the limited scope of intention and application of repentance and remission or forgiveness of sins. The preaching was that God's chosen people, throughout the world might receive the knowledge of their salvation by the remission or forgiveness of their sins lk 1:

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Yes, remission of sins is salvation..but notice, who receives this knowledge ? His People..see matt 1:21 about His people !

The knowledge of salvation by the remission of sins is a experiential knowledge resulting in a change of mind and behaviour in granting repentance.. These are a effect and accomplishment of the atonement of Christ, and all for whom He died has forgiveness of remission of sins, for its a covenant blessing from His blood heb 8:

12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

more on remission of sins !

Reconciliation and Remission of sins or forgiveness of sins are connected with one another as per 2 cor 5:

19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

For that which was the ground of reconciliation [Christ death or blood]

It also was the ground for forgiveness of sins [Christ death or blood].

For certainly reconciliation implies in its nature a canceling out of the punishment of sin. Since it implies a being received into His Favor, God could receive us thusly, because our sins had been put away or remitted.

The greek word for remission aphesis means a sending away, and its also translated deliverance and liberty as in lk 4:

18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Notice by the way who this liberty / remission was preached to, " The Poor " not economically poor but the poor in spirit, the regenerated, those who had been made sensible sinners by New Birth see Matt 5:3. The word is also translated forgiveness in acts 13:38 and Eph 1:7.

Forgiveness is another way of preaching the Truth of non imputation of sin as in 2 cor 5 19 and rom 4:7-8.

The remission of sins means God refuses, and will not charge sin to their account for whom Christ died and who become believers. It denotes that there has been deliverance from the curse of the law, Christ having been made a curse for them gal 3. There are other words used in the NT that means the same thing i.e heb 1:

3Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

They [ their sins] have been removed from the face of God the Judge.

The non imputation of sin [remission] is not only the consequent result of Christ death, but was the underlying cause of His death, hence sin is not imputed to the members of His body, since they were imputed to their Head.

13. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Funny, I don't see the term 'elect world' anywhere in Romans 5. Matter of fact, I don't see it anywhere in the Bible.

#33 Steadfast Fred, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  14. Steadfast Fred

Dr Walter has asked you a question, sbm... as a matter of fact, a few questions.

It appears instead of answering his questions, you continue to cross post posts from other forums you are a member of. I have found several of your posts, verbatim, on many forums just by googling portions of them. Your space before an "!" must be trademark of yours, as it is on many forums.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

THIS Discussion about atonement is an illustration of the gnostic characteristic of Christianity, the characteristic of giving secret meanings to common words that only insiders can understand.

I'm referring to to concept that Jesus "paid" for my sins. There is no other usage of the word where the holder (owner) of the debt cares who pays for the bill, the debt. No other usage where the person who owes the debt must give permission to a third party to pay the bill. The person who owes the debt has no say in the matter. The debt holder doesn't need permission from the debtor to accept payment from a third party.

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The non imputation of sin [remission] is not only the consequent result of Christ death, but was the underlying cause of His death, hence sin is not imputed to the members of His body, since they were imputed to their Head.

Trespasses are not laid to the Charge to the charge of the members of Christ body [2 nd Cor 5:19], because they were imputed to their Head Christ, for He was made sin for them, that is a sin offering. God the Father legally constituted Him to be an offering for sin in accordance with the agreement between them in the everlasting covenant.

Made Him to be sin means that He appointed Him to be our substitute and to bare our sins, He became legally and officially liable to God's wrath and curse. see gal 3:13.

Christ was made sin for God's people by the reckoning of our guilt to His own account, so much so, He called them His Transgressions and foolishness see ps 69:5 and so Divine Justice was pleased to bruise Him [in our stead] for our sins, and so by His stripes we were healed.

Now the great evidence of one having had their sins remitted or forgiven is that they all will become believers in Him acts 13:

38Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

39And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

And please pay attention to vs 39 whereby it states BY HIM, everyone believing is freed from the law of moses, they are believing by Him, through Him, because of the redemption in His blood. We will see later Lord willing how redemption has to do with believing in Christ..

So Christ is the instrumental means by which the elect believe..

A similar statement is found in 1 Pet 1:21

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Again, Christ being the instrumental means by which men believe in God, and Christ is God as well..

17. Steadfast Fred

When you post other people's work, it is usually customary to include the name and title the work came from. Otherwise it is called plagiarism.

This post, that you apparently wish others to believe is your own, is the work of Arthur Pink, from his book "The Satisfaction of Christ", Chapter 14.

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Many of the points I have presented were from that work, but most of it is my thoughts as well . Yes, I am indebted to Mr Pink for some of the things here posted, but mostly and foremost I am indebted to God's Grace in giving me discernment to recognize the Truth that He gave to Mr Pink. That is who you should be directing me to give credit for the thoughts i share.

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Trespasses are not laid to the charge of the members of Christ body [2 nd Cor 5:19], because they were imputed to their Head Christ, for He was made sin for them, that is a sin offering. God the Father legally constituted Him to be an offering for sin in accordance with the agreement between them in the everlasting covenant. God Made Him to be sin means that He appointed Him to be our substitute and to bare our sins, He became legally and officially liable to God's wrath and curse. see Gal 3:13.

Christ was made sin for God's people by the reckoning of our guilt to His own account, so much so, He called them His Transgressions and foolishness see ps 69:5 and so Divine Justice was pleased to bruise Him [in our stead] for our sins, and so by His stripes we were healed.

Now the great evidence of one having had their sins remitted or forgiven is that they all will become believers in Him acts 13:

38Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

39And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

And please pay attention to vs 39 whereby it states BY HIM, everyone believing is freed from the law of moses, they are believing by Him, through Him, because of the redemption in His blood. We will see later Lord willing how redemption has to do with believing in Christ..

So Christ is the instrumental means by which the elect believe..

A similar statement is found in 1 pet 1:21

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Again, Christ being the instrumental means by which men believe in God, and Christ is God as well..

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

It gives redemption ! -

Eph 1:

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

As we can see Redemption is connected with remission or forgiveness of sins [which is non imputation 2 cor 5:19] for sins are forgiven by the redeeming blood of Christ.

Because Christ on behalf of the sheep, satisfied God's wrath, the redemption of the sheep is the fruit or result thereof.

In eph 1 7 we read " In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. Its noted of the preposition paul uses here, which is not through whom, but in whom we have redemption, because redemption was a right to each one its was to be applied to by the Spirit of promise when regenerated, and because Christ died, and we were chosen in Him before the foundation Eph 1:4. We had a right because Jesus was our near kinsmen Redeemer and because of having been chosen in Him by the Father.

Now, Just like the elect had condemnation before being born into this world, likewise the elect have redemption in Christ based upon His obedience, before being born into this world..But this ensures our release from captivity of sin.

Christ gave Himself a ransom for many, thus effecting their redemption, these terms when used in reckoning the workk of Christ are joined together, the ransom denoting the price paid [ Christ life or blood] and the redemption, the effect of the ransom, is the liberation out of a prison of a prisoner [ who had been shut up into unbelief and sin, spiritual death].

The ransom paid demands the prisoners to be set free from the captivity of Satan !

Now understand, because we were by the Justice of God concluded in unbelief Per Rom 11:32

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

The word concluded is the greek word sygkleiō:

to shut up together, enclose

a) of a shoal of fishes in a net

2) to shut up on all sides, shut up completely

Its God's legal dealing with man for sin.
    But those who are redeemed by Christ, are released, liberated from unbelief. Thats redemption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.