1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the baby Jesus

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Helen, Oct 22, 2002.

1. hrhema

hrhema New Member

The scripture in Hebrew that you did not deal with says that Jesus had to be exactly like us in all aspects. That would include being able to sin.

The fact that Jesus was born of a virgin did not mean he could not have sinned. The virgin birth had to happen because he could not have had a earthly Father.

This subject is so confusing that the Catholic Church in trying to explain it has made Mary sinless and that her mother Anne was a virgin when Mary was born. Even though there is absolutely no proof of this. Matter of fact the Bible makes it pretty clear in Acts that Mary had to receive salvation just like everyone else.

As far as me not seeing it. I cannot see something that someone cannot explain to me using
    scripture. This is just conjecture on peoples part. Unless the Bible comes straight out and say that Jesus could have or could not have then all what you believe or what I believe is conjecture.

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Where in Scripture does it say that Christ had to be exactly like us in every possible way? Oh, you mean that purposely bad translation you provided? Um, that would be why I posted 6 other translations that disagree with it. Remember, no private interpretation, hrhema.

The Scripture does say that he came in the likeness of sinful flesh. He was like us in the fact that he was 100% human. He was not like us in the sense that he could not sin. In fact, it was impossible.

Why could Jesus not have an earthly father?

3. hrhema

hrhema New Member

"Therefore in all things he had to be made like his brethren" Hebrews 2:17. NKJV

"So it is evident that it was essential that he be made like his brethren in every respect" Hebrews 2:17 Amplified.

"For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way" Hebrews 2:17 NIV.

The writer of the book of Hebrews stated that Jesus had to be made in EVERY Respect just like his brothers or just like any and every ordinary person. If Jesus was made in every respect then this meant that Jesus was capable of sinning but chose not to.

I have studied the "Hypostatis". The doctrine of the man-God.

If Jesus was God fully in all aspects while on Earth then the Catholics are correct in calling Mary the Mother of God. If what many teach about the Hypostatis/Incarnation is true that Jesus laid down his divinity while walking on Earth and worked through the power of the Holy Spirit then Mary would only be the mother of the Son of God. The human body.

The latter seems to fit the scriptures. The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus. Led him into the wilderness. The bible says he was full of the Holy Spirit.

In dealing with the doctrine of the Trinity if Jesus had not set aside his divinity while on Earth then he was not co-equal with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. If Jesus had not set aside his divinity then he would not have had to heal through the power of the Holy spirit or raised the dead through the power of the Holy Spirit and even the Bible lets us know that it would be the spirit of God who raised Jesus from the dead. A divine person of the Trinity with full divinity would have used his own power.

The Bible tells us that Jesus created all things so we know he had the power of creation in the beginning so if he at one time could have created all things then he would not have had to work through the Holy Spirit while on Earth. Yet if he had not set aside his divinity then he could not have been tempted, not have had any desire to eat or drink or be weary nor could he have died.

In studying history there were groups who taught these things about Jesus who were called heretics.

In all that I have read about the Hypostatis and the Incarnation claim it is a great mystery that men have waged intellectual battles over for hundreds of years and they still come away not totally convinced of their beliefs.

4. Carly33

Carly33 New Member

Hello people....do we all agree in the Trinity? So doesn't that signify that Christ was God.....?

Look up a few scriptures on God's character...

5. Angie Miller

Angie Miller New Member

I am surely not doubting the Trinity, but there still leaves the fact that Jesus was on Earth as a man and in the flesh.
    Here is where I got some help from a friend: If Jesus could not choose to sin, then wouldn't we all still be lost, because He was not the promised atonement for our sins. I think He was tempted just like we are but He DID NOT SIN. See what I said, He did not sin! [​IMG] That is why His death covers the price of our sins.
    If He could not sin then how could He have been tempted, and how could He be a "man" without the free will to choose to disobey?
    I know people are very gun shy of saying He could have sinned, kind of makes me feel funny too, but I would NEVER EVER say He did sin, just that He could have but for the sake of His Father's will for us did not! [​IMG]
    Love in Christ Angie

6. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

When I think about Jesus being able to sin - I consider that to be a theoretical item only. It would have been conceivably possible, but the odds were always 100 per cent he would reject the temptation. Sort of like when my kids came up and asked me if they could stay up all night instead of having to go to bed. Sure, I might have agreed, in principle, but what were the odds? :rolleyes:

7. Angie Miller

Angie Miller New Member

Good try, and I admire your honesty, and see your point. But it really was possible for Him to sin, but as you say and as we see it He would never do it. But He could have.
    Love in Christ Angie [​IMG]