1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Baptist Identity, How Accurate?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jun 30, 2012.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I see no conflict if we make a distinction between unity and uniformity. Paul's Romans 14 comes to mind.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Not at all! Simply comprehensive of the Free Church concept of the original Baptists.

Even as a Southern Baptist, I find that my own denomination has redefined itself. Consider the Baptist Faith & Message of 1963 with 2000. You'll see. ;-)

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, if you're in the Baptist tradition, perhaps you owe it to yourself to know a bit of your historic roots. No coercion intended.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm certainly not opposed to you sticking around, man.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As you have noted, there is no logical reason for excluding you from the Baptist section and only a small group of individuals seems to have a problem with your presence. Often when we hold nuanced positions that are different from others we get maligned and castigated. It is a form of control and I don't accept it. Given that my background academically is historical theology it is obvious that your classification of baptist is wholly acceptable and is no grounds for dismissal. I would be sad to know you're not going to be around.

The reality is that some people often use barrier inducing devices to keep out people they either don't understand or don't want to understand. One of the reasons I post (fairly) anonymously is that people (including one incident on this board) have attempted to get me fired for some of discussions that we've had. My positions have been completely baptistic but are challenging for some. Often people who are wary of our positions will try to shut us down. I think that is a bad method. We should look beyond ourselves and see the broader implications. Your voice is important, please stay.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

#2--"Without the interference of clergy". What exactly does that mean? The pastor has scriptural authority to "interfere" when one of his members goes off into sin and doesn't repent of it.

#3--To ordain whom they perceive as gifted for ministry--male or female." According to scripture, NO woman can be considered to be a pastor of a church.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Interesting spin, but not at all.

The idea is the autonomy of the local church.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the advice, but I have read about it. I simply make a point in the faith of not attaching myself emotionally to anything or anyone except the Lord Jesus Christ. By that I mean I do not lift up a denomination or make claims to what a denomination believes as if that denomination has it down pat. I simply stress what scripture teaches and I find no denomination in it. The early Apostles did it this way , Paul makes that clear of himself, so I find it the best way.

#28 freeatlast, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Of course, Christian by conversion, but I believe we can explore some of these matters without tribalism and the like. I find the whole thing refreshing - a bit of Baptist history, if you will.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have no problem with knowing it, but I do with glorifying, clinging, or cherishing it. I treat it like any history lesson, nice to know and move on.

#30 freeatlast, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thank you, TCGreek and preachinjesus! Based on your posts, maybe I'll reconsider.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So was paul in error when he told the church in corinth to separate from the man who was sleeping with his step-mother? Was he incorrectly interfering with the man's soul freedom?

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why did my response bring about this question? Properly understood, I don't think this question is necessary.

14. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Soul freedom is the freedom to worship & communicate with God directly; not the freedom to sin. Every member of the priesthood is accountable to any other member who witnesses overt sin in his/her life. Soul freedom is freedom from ANY human intermediary between us & the Father. That includes a church or priestly-pastor. It should also be noted that Scripture speaks against the condemnation of another person's free will worship of God.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Stick around.....you have a brain,and a concern for souls:thumbsup::wavey:

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let me seal the deal.

By the authority vested in me, I declare and decree that you must stay.

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Jon mark said a pastor could "interfere" and confront one living in sin...you said "not at all."

If I misunderstood, please clarify.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Considering where you and I were at one time, that means a lot to me! :)

I like where we are now -- even though we probably still disagree just as much. :)

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

:laugh:

Thanks, Tom; that means a lot to me.

20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good list for a Baptist

Some are making the mistake of choosing soul competency over priesthood of the believer.

Soul competency is the belief that any individual is competent to make spiritual decisions, biblical or not, for themselves. It applies to everyone, believer or not.

Priesthood of the believer is the belief that the individual is capable of hearing from and communicating directly to God without need of human mediator. This applies to only to a believer.

Though related in that they highlight the abilities of the individual, they are not the same thing