1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Baptist Identity, How Accurate?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, do MOST conservative baptists actually allowing for the ordination of women as pastors?

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Point taken.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I think we have some misunderstanding going on here.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If a man have ought against you then go to him.
    If he does not repent, then take one or two witnesses that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
    If he does not repent, bring it before the church.
    If he does not repent, let him be unto you like a heathen and a publican (church discipline).

There is far too little of this in our churches today. The matter of repentance, confronting sin, church discipline, etc. has nothing to do with soul liberty. It has something to do with antinomianism, which apparently the Romans thought they had a license to practice.

For where grace abounded sin did much more abound.
    [Translation: let's sin more that more grace may come]
    --But Paul said: Shall we sin that grace may abound?
    God forbid! How shall we that are dead to sin live in the flesh any longer.

None of this has anything to do with soul liberty.
    Soul liberty is the right for a person to believe as the Lord directs him to believe, that is in a sense, freedom of religion, religious tolerance in the wider sense of the definition. But even in a narrow sense when we are all part of the same local church, and have agreed to the same statement of faith, same constitution, there is a freedom to believe differently on some matters, for no two people will agree 100% on every issue.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yep, and I'm not sure what it is... How about answering this question:

Do you affirm the 4 definitions given in the OP? And if so, how does the definition of Soul Freedom fit with Paul's seeming instruction to correct those in the church who have erred, even to the point of putting people out of the church?

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with the 4 freedoms stated in the OP.

The church indeed has a responsibility to exercise discipline. But let's pretend I am a member of church xyz, which decides I have sinned and in need of discipline. As an autonomous church they can do so.

Soul liberty gives me the right of conscience to listen, learn, pray, consider, and if I believe I have not sinned to withdraw from that church.

My salvation will not be in danger.

There was a time in my folks' neck of the woods that marrying across color lines could get you declared a sinner and kicked out of church.

The churches were doing what they thought was right, but it didn't stop thoughtful folks from doing what they believed was right and moving on.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

We're always going to have chances to misunderstand one another (part of the human tragedy).

Yes, I affirm all 4 with a few modifications, clarifications, here and there, if you will.

Soul Freedom is not license to rebel against the Lordship of Christ as mediate through Scripture and so on.