1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Baptist Quarterly Review

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by readmore, Feb 12, 2008.

1. readmore

readmore New Member

As I was searching around Google Books, I found this great publication called the Baptist Quarterly Review. It looks like a series of Baptist publications from around the end of the 19th century.

Here's a link to the first issue, at which time it looks like it was just called the Baptist Review. The full text of a couple of issues are completely scanned and available for reading/download on Google books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Je...er:"J.R.+Baumes"&source=gbs_summary_r#PPP7,M1

Has anyone ever heard of this publication, or know anything about it's history, affiliations, or whatever?

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

This is the first time i've seen this publication, i'm not sure who published it but no matter what it seems like some great info to have access too. Thanks for noting this.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Library holdings

The International Baptist Theological Seminary [IBTS] in Prague has all issues going back to Volume 1, 1922. Thought y'all might be interested in this piece of trivia. :laugh:

The IBTS Library holds the largest English collection of theological books on the Contenient.

#4 Crabtownboy, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008
  5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Baptist historian Thomas Armitage, J.R. Baumes began publication of the Baptist Review in 1878 and continued to edit it until 1885, when he sold the newspaper. Baumes was a pastor and (briefly) Union chaplain during the Civil War.

The name was changed to the Baptist Quarterly Review and was edited by Baptist historian Henry Vedder and Robert MacArthur, longtime pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in New York City. MacArthur was one of the founders of the Baptist World Alliance and served as its president for many years.