1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Barbara Walters Special on Heaven

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ron Arndt, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Last night there was a 2 hour special hosted by Barbara Walters on heaven and what people and world religious leaders believe and teach about it. Did you watch it? I was left with these impressions. That no matter what your religious or philosophical beliefs, everyone will be in heaven after death, if they are a loving and compassionate person to others around them. At least this is the premise I got from the TV telecast.

Christian leaders were questioned by Barbara Walters and slighted as being to "narrow minded" in holding to the belief that one MUST be born again to be able to enter heaven. So Christian hosts who were questioned, were made to look bigoted or narrow minded. Little was ever said about just WHAT should we base our authority about the afterlife and one's hope of heaven on? The bible was never mentioned as God's authority for stating what one must do to enter heaven. Miss Walters carefully avoided that.

But all in all, I was really amazed on how people view heaven and what there eternal destiny is. Most believe, just living a good life and being compassionate for one another will be sufficient. Even a Catholic bishop so much as stated this in in his interview. Did any of you see this show? What is your opinion?

2. JWI

JWI New Member

I caught the last half of the show and enjoyed it.
    I did not see the interviews with Christian leaders at all, so I cannot comment on that.

However, to be fair, I do think that the Muslim prisoner who was interviewed was also made to seem narrow-minded. Barbara said she was not a follower of Mohammed, and asked if she would go to Hell, to which the young man answered, Yes.

From what I did see, I think the show did encourage the idea that one can earn Heaven through good works and "compassion". This was especially evident in the interview with the
    Dalle Lama (sp?).

I also saw the portion on Near Death Experiences.

I thought the show was interesting, but it is really what I expected. Most of the world believes they can obtain salvation through good works.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I saw part of it while dh and I were visiting a church member in the hospital. It was about what I expected from her, but it irks me how the media makes Evangelicals look bad. She just had an interview in Ladies Home Journal too, along the same lines. She is a hero now for her faith. :rolleyes:

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I saw the first half of the show. And your right, many of the 'christian' leaders were way off base as if they did not know or understand scripture. And many believed in being good, doing good, and going to heaven, and shied away from anyone going to hell, like the one who said without Jesus you could not ever know for sure where you were going, as if there were the possibility of going to heaven without Jesus, but you wouldn't know till you died. The only one I saw who knew anything, and I don't remember his name, was a preacher who smiled a lot and what he said could not get twisted around no matter how much she tried.
    It was exactly what I would expect from Barbara Walters.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

I found it amazing that the Muslim prisoner explained when Barbara asked if only Muslims would be in heaven that Islam was God's religion, and anyone who believed in God and did good would be in heaven, not just Muslims, but than he than said Jews will be in Hell.

Even if they believe in God and do good?

It was very slanted presentation to be sure, but those who spoke the truth of the Bible were pretty clear. Its hard to spin the Gospel when it is stated plainly. My wife was surprised they even allowed it to be that openly stated.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless she repents, Barbara will join that young Muslim in hell, and then she won't have any more questions about who goes and who doesn't.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone expect differently from Barbara?

And why they had the laughingstock reproach Haggard on when they intro'd the segment with Dobson and Warren? Either of them would have better proclaimed the Gospel.

Hell will be hot for Barbara and others like Larry King who have often heard (and often rejected) the Gospel message.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Still time for both to repent and change. Hopefully, Christ's representatives around them will be good witness and continue to present the gospel lovingly and uncompromisingly to them. Just because they have rejected it in the past, doesn't mean they will in the future.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad I missed it. It would have frustrated me for days.

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I wouldn't be looking to Barbara Walters for any issues regarding Christianity.

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I found the God gene discussion very interesting. God "stitched" us together in our mothers wombs and put our "belief" in our DNA. Just as the Bible tells us in Acts 13:48 and Romans 8:29&30. Love it when science "proves" God's Word.

12. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Let's see ... Haggard said clearly that Jesus Christ is the only guaranteed way to Heaven. Problem?

The media doesn't have to try very hard to make evangelicals look bad. We do a good enough job of it ourselves by beating one another up.

In the last 6 months, I have heard Haggard (2x now), Warren, Billy Graham, Osteen, and others all criticized by fundies and some borderline fundy evangelicals for "compromising" on national TV. Apparently it does not matter what one of these guys says and how he says it, he will be criticized by those to the right (and left) of him.

So goes life in evangelicalism.

13. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hogwash. Our faith and belief in Jesus Christ are not "stitched" into our DNA. Justification would be hereditary and unbiblical...like this whole view of reformed theology.

15. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't you see Barbara in Hell running up to the devil saying, "Satan, what kind of tree would you be?"?

16. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Intentionally, I did not watch the program. It was not rocket science to figure out in advance where this program would conclude.

It all boils down to believing the Bible. The Bible clearly tells us the way to heaven. The opinions of man do not matter. I think we refer to that as the authority of Scripture.

17. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog: this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of reformed theology!! Please leave that for the proper thread.

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

webdog address the verses quoted pls.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My reply had everything to do with reformed theology, go back and read it.

BTW there is no "reformed theology" thread.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What would you like me to address? The verses say nothing of belief being in our DNA nor hereditary. To read that into the text is pure eisegesis.