1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Beatles are the greatest rock n' roll band of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Travelsong, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The long and short of this topic goes like this.
    I posted some factual information about the Beatles without naming and such song as Help.
    A poster comes along and mentions "Help" as a cry to God.
    I refute that as complete nonesense and give my reasons why.
    John Lennon is a sex maniac and a Christ hater who lives for himself and no one else. He was into drugs, sex, and eastern mysticism. Taking those things into consideration, I agree with you.

It is a song about a guy (John) in love with a girl. I have been saying that all along. I have been refuting the baseless "call to God" interpretation. But all that you can see in your mind is that word "whore." You can't get it out. You used it again, even though I told you that it was a mistake for me to use it in the first place. Your mind is stuck on one word. You can't get past it.

The two interpretations are basically the same. SEX That is all Lennon wanted. Sex with another girl--prostitute or otherwise. You can use your imagination to tell the rest of the story. You stated the basic core of it. What kind of girl is left up to one's imagination. I doubt if John had any pure, Christian virgin in mind.
    DHK

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Who said this

I have looked all throughout this thread and cannot see any other refrence made by any other poster that stated this. Will the poster who stated this please stand up?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

After I posted some well-known facts about the Beatles in general and John Lennon in specific, Uncharted Spirit answered with this reply:
    In context: "Haven't you heard of John Lennon's 'Help?' If you had you could've offered him the truth at that moment."

The answer is: No, I couldn't have offered him the truth because his cry for "HELP" wasn't a cry to God for help. That is what Unchartered Spirit was referring to. He is telling me that I am judging him wrongly--that I don't know if he wasn't crying to God for help or not, etc. etc.
    DHK

4. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Well you just put words in Unharted Spirits mouth that they did not say. UnCharted Spirit did not clarify who or what Lennon was crying out to.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I read that post. He didn't say that. You read that into it.

You have?

Then you need to do something about that guy who's posting under your name talking about whores and invitations into a bedroom.

But the song says nothing at all about sex. In fact, I think it's rather ambiguous whether he's talking about a relationship with a girl or not. That's just the way that I understand it.

I'm sorry, but that you insist that a song that says nothing about sex is about sex says more about you than it does about the song.

Whatever sort of girl he had in mind is irrelevant. What is at issue is what the song says.

How funny that you told me that "finally you're discussing the song" (never mind that I was the one trying to get you to discuss the song three pages ago), and now you're the one back to judging the song based on what you think about John Lennon's personal life, and not by the merits of the song.

Now Playing: Sally Taylor – "Tomboy Bride"

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you haven't been following all the discussion, then I don't think you are qualified to say that.

Unchartered's next response was:
    It is evident that he believed that Lennon was crying out to God. Some of the statements that he has made in these two posts are quite extreme.
    DHK

7. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Oh, but then later you added this:

Some sentimental person on the board blithely says: 'Oh it is a sincere cry to God,' or some nonsense to that effect.
    ____________________________________________________-
    I could only assume you were referring to Uncharted Spirit and if that was the case then you were in fact putting words into their mouth.

In post#169 Uncharted Spirit states "Help was a sencere cry, Lennon himself said so"

#227 Petra-O IX, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2006
  8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So wherein have I been wrong? Did he or did he not say that? Keeping in mind I did not quote him directly, but paraphrased, I wasn't putting words in his mouth. What was his context. Well, referring to Job, Esther, the Bible, etc., it is obvious that he was referring to God. So what is your objection?
    DHK

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Making aguments on assumptions

DHK, You have made your arguments based only on assumptions, that much is obvious.