1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Beginning of What

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mnw, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

For those who hold to the position that the Church started in Christ's earthly ministry I have a question.

In Acts 11:15 to what is Peter referring? I believe he is speaking of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit being the beginning of the church.

What do you believe it was the beginning of?

I believe the timing of the beginning of the church is an area open to Christian liberty so it is not a contentious issue for me. I am just curious. Well, unless you believe the church started in the Old Testament, then it is a little more important to me. :)

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The church was powerlwess until the day of Pentecost.

3. mnw

mnw New Member

That doesn't answer my question. :)

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Testament Church was founded along the shores of Cesaria Philippi, but did not manifest its existence until Pentecost.

The instructions from its founder was precise: WAIT.

Leastways, that's what was taught to me in Bible College, and one of the things I did not shed off after I became Primitive Baptist.

5. mnw

mnw New Member

I'm beginning to think there is a language barrier. :wavey::thumbs:

Peter says that when the Holy Spirit came it was the beginning of something.

In your opinions, what was it the beginning of?

I understand your positons on the origins of the church, but that is not the question really I am asking.

If you do not believe the church started at Pentecost, then to what is Peter referring when he refers to that time as the beginning?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Act 11:15 "And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as {He did} upon us at the beginning.

Act 2:33 "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.

I believe the beginning he is speaking of refers to the promise that Jesus gave about the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and also the prophecy of Joel. In other words, the beginning of the promise of the Holy Spirit.

John 14:17 {that is} the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, {but} you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

Act 2:16 but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:
    Act 2:17 'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says, 'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND; AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS;

7. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

this may not be what the OP is looking for
    but this is my thoughts.
    the Church started When Jesus began discipling the Apostles.
    Jesus was the Head and foundation of the Church then just as He is now.

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Maybe they are just referring to the beginning of their fellowship with the Holy Spirit in chapter two. Kind of like, now it happened with them like it first did with us. (How it began with us)

9. mnw

mnw New Member

Okay, that is the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you.

10. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Not my words, but...

OP: Here's what I've heard on the issue. However, I've yet to do my own study to determine if this is valid. You might consider this previous sentence a disclaimer before making any protests to me personally (for any who are in disagreement).

11. mmetts

mmetts New Member

Another quote, also not mine.