1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The best cure for hangover

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

Also please tell us why the requirements for an elder include not too much wine. What danger is there in drinking too much grape juice...the runs?

If I read my Bible correctly in ITim. God gives the qualifications for a Bishop and a Deacon. it reads like this, "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
    Not given to wine,"

The danger my friend isn't the "runs" as you have said but sin! Same thing for the deacon.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

He's done it to me several times.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Really? Would you mind quoting one of these people who knew the Apostles for us?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]John Gill's Exposition of the Bible[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 Timothy 3:3[/FONT] Not given to wine
    One that does not sit at it, or is continually drinking it, and is intemperate in the use of it; otherwise it is lawful for persons in such an office to drink wine, and sometimes absolutely necessary; see (1 Timothy 5:23) it signifies one that is not given to much wine, as in (1 Timothy 3:8) is not addicted to it, or a follower of it; the Syriac version renders it, "who does not transgress over wine", or go beyond due bounds in the use of it, who is not immoderate in it; the Arabic version renders it, "not insolent through wine", as one that is heated with it is fierce and furious, and wrangling and quarrelsome, and often very mischievous and injurious; and this sense is followed by some.

- http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commenta...k=1ti&chapter=003&verse=003&next=004&prev=002

[/FONT]

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just what we need, another Pharisee who does not understand Scripture.

I do not drink alcohol, but your reasoning as to why you do not is a joke. If you want to quote Scripture, try Romans 12:1. Think of the witness, the influence on others. Then go back over what the Gospel is, in relation to the law, and come to the same conclusion you have already reached for the right reasons.

While we are on the subject, you have no idea who is and is not saved. You are not God, and sure aren't that smart.

6. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

1. Did Jesus Drink Wine?

The theologians have taught all down the ages that our blessed
    Lord and Savior did drink intoxicating drink, as His ordinary everyday drink, because they say there was no such thing as unintoxicating wine in His day. But the eyes of some of the most learned of our day appear to be opening wide enough to see that the theologians were wrong.

Dr. Kynaston, Professor of Greek at Durham University, says:
    "We cannot prove from the words in the Bible that our Lord did or did not drink intoxicating wine." This is a step in the right direction. The theologians have also taught equally definitely that oinos always meant intoxicating wine; but Sir Richard Jebb, Professor of Greek at Cambridge University said that "oinos is a general term, and might include all kinds of beverages."

Anacreon, who wrote some five hundred years, B.C., Ode

"Only males tread the grapes, Setting free the Oinos (wine)."

Here at this early period, we see that the juice in the grapes was called (wine) oinos. And all sane persons know that the juice in the grapes is not intoxicating. Nothing is clearer to those who have studied this question than the Hebrew word "yain" and the Greek word "oinos" were, as Professor Sir R. Jebbs says of "oinos," general words in those early days, and were used to describe sometimes the fruit on the vines, the juice in the grapes, the juice when it was being pressed out, when it was preserved in an unfermented state and therefore unintoxicating, and when it was fermented and intoxicating.

There is overwhelming proof that there has been in use all down the centuries, in all grape-growing countries, grape-juice fermented and intoxicating, and also an abundance of grape-juice preserved in an unfermented state, and therefore not intoxicating; and both have been called wine.

But the unintoxicating, in addition to being called wine, has been called by various other names, such as glukus, vinum, mustum, sapa, careum, siraeum, hepsema, pekmez, new wine. A great
    many more names might be added, but a full description may be seen in Dr. Norman Kerr's book on Wines, Scriptural and Eccleiastical, and also in the Temperance Bible Commentary by Dr. F. R. Lees and Dr. Dawson Burns. These words mainly describe a wine made from grape juice by reducing the juice to a sweet liquid by boiling. It was too thick and too sweet to drink pure. And this is a main reason why the Greeks and Romans added so much water to it before drinking, and also why water was added to it before it was used at the Lord's Supper. Water was also added to the intoxicating wine to reduce its intoxicating power.

There is therefore clearly no justification whatever for the misleading statements of the theologians, that there was no such thing as unintoxicating wine in the days of our Lord. It is equally clear that there is no proof, either in holy scripture or out of it, that our Lord ever drank intoxicating wine.

It is no more true to say that the word "wine" always meant intoxicating wine than it is to say that the word "bread" always meant fermented bread just as the word "bread" sometimes meant fermented bread and sometimes unfermented. So the word "oinos" (wine) sometimes was used to describe the grape-juice when it was fermented and sometimes when it was unfermented. St. Matthew 26:26 reads:

Jesus took bread and blessed it.

Here it is not stated whether the bread was fermented or not, but we know it was unfermented (unleavened), because it was the Passover bread. Haggai 1:11 reads:

I called for a drought...upon the corn, and upon the new wine, and upon the oil.

It is clear that the new wine in this verse means the growing grapes, for if the wine was in the casks or skin bottles the drought could have no effect upon it. There isn't a trace of evidence to prove that our Savior Jesus Christ ever drank or sanctioned the use of intoxicating drink. Habit-forming wine is alcoholic wine, and
    any preacher or layman who drinks "much wine" is drinking alcoholic wine, and this is forbidden in the Word of God.

II. Alcoholic Wine is Not the "Fruit of the Vine."

There are thirteen different words or vocables used (in the Bible); nine in the Hebrew and Chaldee, and four in the Greek, all of which are rendered by the European translators indiscriminately as "wine or strong drink," although all intrinsically are solid substances, but which may be turned into intoxicants by human ingenuity. When, however, we examine the passages where these words are used, we find the sacred writers speak, in the most numerous cases, of them, not as intoxicants, but as foods, which was their ordinary form of consumption. Where distinct reference is made to them as means after human manipulation of intoxication, drunkenness, and debauchery, their use in that form is invariably condemned and vehemently denounced by the Prophets and Moralists of the Bible as the causes of personal sin and national ruin. Their use in these forms of alcoholic liquors, or fermented wine, was absolutely forbidden in the religious ordinances of the Temple or Altars, and especially from the sacred rites of the Passover, and to all priests during the period of their ministrations.
    DR. Bill Kanoy

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is sound advice for all of us but especially for those who make a hobby out of the issue of alcoholic beverages:

Matthew 23:24 (KJV)
    Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry, I had a hangover, so I failed to think some of my responses through, clearly.

Ed

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The ironic thing about all of this is that even without a drop of alcohol last night I had a headache this morning.
    I suspect it was because I ate too much ice cream last night.

I usually eat about 3 ounces of Haagen Daaz all natural ice cream but last night I think I had at least 10 ounces out of a pint.
    Looks like too much sugar will do it too.
    BTW, some people actually place sugar at the same level as alcohol.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While you are quoting this, how about noting and commenting for us on one difference in the qualifications for a bishop - "not given to wine", and deacon - "not given to much wine", since you brought it up. And I'm pretty sure that the word "πολλω" from "πολυς" (a large amount) is found in the Greek texts, here, and the KJV rendered it as "much", which is a fairly appropriate rendering, as well as it is fairly appropriately rendered in most major versions, that I have seen.

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For one who is diabetic, such as I am, there can be a condition that resembles one who is "under the influence", depending on one's "blood sugar" levels.

[Edited to add] And one can pass out and actually die from diabetic shock, just as one can pass out and die from too much alcohol. In addition, alcohol can actually trigger "diabetic shock" in some cases, at a lower amount than would be necessary to cause a reaction in one not diabetic.

Ed

#91 EdSutton, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus made the "best" wine...and Scripture tells us exactly what that is in Isaiah 25:6, the "finest, well aged wine"...not "new wine".

13. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I made it to page 6 before I got a headache and had to post this reply.

Why dont we talk about something a little less debatable, like worship styles or Bible translations!

OOO I know how about CCM no one would have a comment on that!

By the way Tim I just bought tickets for Casting Crowns and Leeland!

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Only four pages to go! :D :laugh:

Rx: Take two ounces, and post again, after three more posts are added. :thumbs:

Ed

15. Joe

Joe New Member

That's interesting. About 10 years ago, a lady passed out at an adjacent table near us in a fancy restaurant. A nurse woke her up to give her OJ, she perked right up. It was amazing! She had been drinking earlier, everyone deemed her drunk, she was even beginning to slide of her chair.
    I first approached her, couldn't figure out how she got so drunk. Others thought she went to the Ladies room and downed her own alcohol, but that made no sense. I called the restaurant owner from the back, and panicked a few minutes later when the he and a few employees only wanted to drive her home. So I began shouting out "is there a nurse or doctor in the house?"

After her friend left, she was looking really bad. I knew she hadn't drank for about hour (I don't like being around drinkers so I pay close attention). BY the time the EMT's arrived, she had perked up. The owner told us they said she could have easily died on the way to the hospital (someone had offered to drive her there), as she had passed out just sitting at the table. Thank God the nurse was able to wake her up and force her to take a few sips of OJ. Thank God for that nurse who happened to be there.

#95 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Some of the people here know that I was a paramedic for many years.

I will attest to what you say.

I can't tell you how many jail cells I've been called to because a police officer couldn't tell the difference between a drunk and someone having a diabetic emergency.

Sadly, people have actually died because they were locked up, believed to be drunk when in actuality, they needed to be in a hospital.

17. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I have blood sugar problems, too. And it does get a little embarrassing when it drops suddenly. I'll start slurring, my skin will get all clammy, my hands start shaking.......all seeming to be signs I've had one too many. Fortunately, those who know me well know it's time for me to eat something quick, and I'll bounce right back.

love,

Sopranette

18. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Hmmm.... Hard to take someone seriously who so easily speaks untruths.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1157603&postcount=35

#98 ShagNappy, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I know, so many harsh, dogmatic statements with nothing Biblical to back them up.

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

If you notice, it was quite some time between sfiC's posts. I would not call his second post an easily spoken untruth.

And you will reject the truth he speaks for the many untruths that others are spewing that alcohol is allowed in the life of a Christian? Amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.