1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The best of modern versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have always used the KJV and consider it a good translation. But I have been increasingly becoming aware that I don't speak the same language as they did in the 17th century.

I am strongly opposed to the idea that all "modern versions" are evil.
    BUt I also realize that not all translations are good and accurate.
    I am not looking for a dumbed down version. I am just looking for a solid translation in contemporary English.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

For my mind....NKJV

Same manuscript body, same philosophy of translation as our beloved KJV.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I know many who use that, I have visited an OPC (orthodox presbyterian) Church nearby a few times and that is what they use.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When I come across a word that is archaic and want a quick reference (besides Strong's or another Lexicon) I usually get a quick glance at a number of translations that I have in either e-sword or sword searcher. I find that Darby's or WEB often give a different slant on things. I think that Darby's is probably fairly accurate in many points.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just a note folks. This WILL NOT become an attack on versions of the Bible or a KJVO discussion.

With the author's permission may we define "modern versions" as those published in the 20th or 21st century?

Older versions are not the subject of this thread and will be considered off topic.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Absolutley! I was going to post that same thing but daughter had to go down for a nap and I got inturupted.

Sure, though if there was a late 19th century translation I would consider that as well.
    I don't think we need yearly model changes like we have with cars :)

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am pretty sure that the Sword Project has a KJV dictionary.
    I use MacSword, which uses the same modules as E-Sword but it is a Mac program.

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the NASB because the translators had a word for word mindset.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

For my money, the ESV is a fine modern translation. I bought a paperback ESV NT for about a dollar from the local Christian bookstore just to immerse myself in it and ended up buying the whole Bible and read through it last year. As with any translations (or any Bible reader for that matter) there are some things I dislike about it but it is the best MV that I have read. I am reading the HCSB now and so far it has not grown on me- at least not yet. of course it is an 'Optimal equivalency' translation and I am more of a Formal equivalency fan.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I shouldn't have used the word "archaic". There are many words besides "archaic" words that fall in question as to their exact meaning, as well as idioms that are sometimes expressed better in another translation.

11. readmore

readmore New Member

I like the ESV and HCSB when reading for "literalness", but prefer the NIV for general reading. Occasionally I'll take a swing through a passage with the NLT as well. At first the NLT was incredibly awkward (coming from a KJVO background), but it has grown on me.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While our pastor uses a KJV, he told the congregation that everyone should have an NASB because it's a GREAT Bible to use for study. Then he saw my and my husband's ESV and he checked it out for a few days and really likes it. We would have loved to have gotten him one for Christmas but he has 3 desires and so far, the ESV doesn't come like this that I've found - large type, no red letters and verses listed individually rather than in paragraphs. I've found ESVs with 2 out of 3 but can't find all 3.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Same here. But there are other more recent versions that did the same. TC started a thread with some analysis on the Holman's use of Dear Friends rather than Beloved that was interesting.

The English Standard Version also does a word by word translation. I like it too, although I do prefer the NASB. I have the ESV in a Reformation Study Bible which I couldn't find in a NASB.

NIV is a thought for thought translation. It's ok . . .

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

After having studied from several translations, by far my favorite is the NASB. I like that it is literal. I use a "Key Word Study Bible" in the NASB. It has Greek and Hebrew lexicons incorporated into it. It is very helpful in learning the original meanings of words. Absolutely my favorite study Bible.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you want translations that are similar to the KJV with the same manuscript base, the NKJV is probably your best bet. Other KJV modernizations done by less prominant groups and individuals include the KJ 2000, 21st century KJ and the Modern KJV.

For those translations that use a different manuscript base from the KJV, the most popular translations by evangelicals today are divided into three main categories.

"Literal" translations include NASB and the ESV.
    "Dynamic" translations include the NIV, TNIV, NLT and HCSB.
    "Paraphrase" translations include The Message.

Best is really a matter of preference in terms of reading styles you are comfortable with. Generally literal translations are more difficult to read and understand while dynamic translations are easier and paraphrases are fairly colloquial.

I personally would also recommend the NRSV and NJB as excellent scholarly works but they are not popular translations among evangelicals being more popular among mainline Christians and Catholics.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree with this, and the later 19th Century translations. This gives a reasonable consideration to the YLT, DARBY, and RV, (and a few more) all of which have their merits and weaknesses as well.

Personally, I use a late 20th century version, the NKJV, as my regular Bible. I have some others that I don't use on a regular basis, as a layman. I also like the NASB. I also have a good impression of the HCSB and I am more impressed with that version, than I am with some, but do not own one.

Each and every version has varied strengths and weaknesses, IMO. I'm not sure there is exactly any "best" version, although we have a coupla' BBers, that are currently working on translations, even as I write this.

[Edited to add.] You did say English in the original post. Sorry, I missed that, the first time through, so I only know of one BBer working on any English translation/version, not that there may not be some more.

Ed

#16 EdSutton, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having just read through the HCSB, I would strongly recommend that. I've read through the NIV, KJV, NLT and will be using the NLTse this year.

I like the ESV over the NASB personally, and the NLT over the NIV.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am going to look for e sword modules and check some out

19. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A lot of the ones mentioned aren't available at e-sword.

www.biblegateway.com
    www.studylight.org

Both have most if not all the translations mentioned but are websites and not applications.

20. readmore

readmore New Member

Unfortunately you can't get a lot of the newer translations on e-sword without paying for them. However, there is a website called StudyLight that allows you to read chapters from most of the versions mentioned here for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.