1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible Code: Does anyone in their right mind believe it?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Tim, May 12, 2003.

1. Tim

Tim New Member

I think the subject line says it all. It seems to me that the idea of a secret code within the Bible is one of the most absurd ideas to ever be considered by modern-day Christians.

In Christ,

Tim

P.S. If you need a decoder ring, please send me $5.00 plus S & H

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

All things are possible with God.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That's the biggest bunch of baloney in ages. Why would God, clearly send Jesus to die for our sins, and then use tricks to send hidden messages in His word?

Here's some links that clear things up.

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/torah.html

There's too many good links. Anyone who thinks the Torah/ Bible codes are plausible can follow the above link and then pick and choose what to read.

Diane

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

God is incomprehensable, He's beyond our capacity to understand, He can do anything that he wants to, and it doesn't have anything to do with whether we believe it is possible or not!...that's all I'm saying. My God is beyond my comprehension...I will not deminish what he can do...by trying to put Him in a box and limitting his Power to what I can comprehend.

I will not deny that which I can not disprove. Not denying something doesn't mean believing it either...lest any of you all get your knickers in a twist over it.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Check out the link, Laurenda. You can get the same 'biblical references' in Moby Dick, War and Peace, etc. The 'codes' generally refer to Jewish leaders.........

I had a lot of links but only kept this one. It's got a lot of side links.

I stick with my very strong belief that God does not trick us or hide messages in His word. There is NO scripture pointing to 'hidden clues'. Let him who has ears, hear. Not.... Let him who can put the letters together understand my secrets. I think Bible Codes smack of numerology, against which there is a warning.

Diane

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't know that I believe the guy who wrote that specifically, but I have no problem believing that all of the events of the world from beginning to end are contained in the scriptures and that they will be easier identified as time goes on.
    Gina

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

God and the bible aren't for telling fortunes, which is what the bible codes are. I God wanted to give His written word to man, why would He hide it so as it could not be read, and then when it was it was only a fortune telling tool, which He condemns clearly in His clearly written word.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

How is it telling fortunes? Most of the bible is prophecy, and what isn't was. is that telling fortunes? :confused:
    There are parts of the bible written that wouldn't be understood when it was written but make sense with the advancements we now have. That could be considered "encoding". Could it not be true that we haven't finished advancing and that as we do more things will make sense?
    Gina

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I saw the film the Omega Code. ;)

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I agree Gina. The book of Revelation is just that. It reveals all of the 'mysteries' contained in the Bible.

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The Bible Codes are my next project. I am going to jump right into them with both feet. Just as soon as I get through with studying the Bible and completely understand exactly what it all means then I am going to start trying to understand what it means in code. ;) [​IMG]

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gina, have you ever read ony of the stuff on the bible codes? It is nothing more then fortune telling, no prophecy in it, they don't even find anything in it till after the fact. Do you really think God hides His word from us?
    If all of mans history is in the bible it's in plain site, from gensis to revelation, nothing hidden, becasue if the codes are man's hidden history, you ought to get the program see where your name is at in the bible.
    Not to mention it isn't the bible they are even useing, it's the torah only, the hebrew old testament, not the bile, so even the naem is misleading.
    Maybe you should read some stuff on the bible coeds first. Becaue apparently God is nothing more then a computer.
    Everything they have found in the bible coeds in the torah, they also found in war and peac, and guess what, the bible codes are even in everyother book written. Makes it real special doesn't.
    We are to test the spirits to see if it is biblical and correct, from God or satan,
    this is a no brainer.

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I've read the book The Bible Code by Michael Drosnin. The thing is...for it to be "fortune telling" like you call it...they would be able to fortell the future...and the book is more about things that have been discovered that already happened. It's kind of a 'Hindsight is 20/20 thing.

There are many things in the Bible that didn't make any kind of sense to the people of that time, and now those things make sense to us.

I am not saying that the book The Bible Code by Drosnin is true, how would I, other than being a scientist with all those resources and a knowledge of the language of Hebrew be able to prove one way or the other? It's really not high on my "That's important" list.

Diane, thanks for the link. But I don't really take the opinions of others to form one of my own.

I'm not an advocate for this book one way or the other. But the Bible does say that there are mysteries that we can't comprehend. And that God doesn't see time the way we do, He sees the whole matter beginning to end at the same time. In other words, time has no meaning to God...that's one human characteristic, we see things linearly. We also seem to have the need to make sense out of God...and I think that's sort of beyond us...don't you agree?

I tend to agree with Gina.
    Neither do I.

editted to add: In the end...it's just a book. Whether a person thinks it carries any weight or not, is completly up to them. Having read it, I wasn't able to draw an intelligent conclusion one way or the other.

Regarding Moby Dick, I've read it...I didn't see Princess Diana in it...I quite frankly didn't see Captain Ahab until the end either... [​IMG]

[ May 13, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If you read Dronsin's book and fall for Bible Codes, then you HAVE taken the opinions of mere men who have 'found secret's and hidden meanings' in God's word.

Scripture says:
    Roughly translated.... DON'T MESS WITH GOD'S WORD.

Diane

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Bible Code: Does anyone in their right mind believe it?

As they say in France, no.
    As they say in Spanish, no.
    As they say in English, nuh uh.

16. Charlesga

Charlesga New Member

I agree with Diane and Kate, although I admit I've not studied Bible codes or given them much thought.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

This sort of reminds me of Joseph Smith who gets high on drugs, goes into a cave and comes out... stares into his hat and has his wife right down the 'rules' God gave him for the Mormons... LOL

Diane

18. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

If you read Dronsin's book and fall for Bible Codes, then you HAVE taken the opinions of mere men who have 'found secret's and hidden meanings' in God's word.

</font>[/QUOTE]No offense Diane, but you obviously didn't read what I said...or you wouldn't have come to this conclusion surely.

Would you like to go back and read what I really said, and then rethink your conclusion?

Thanks,
    Laurenda ;)

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Laurenda, you edited your reply AFTER I hit reply and opened a box.... began looking up scripture and got a call from a long winded insurance salesman my husband left a message for in MY name. I did not see the part about the 'book' take it or leave it, etc. until just now.

However, for whom it DOES concern....

Diane

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Laurenda, if you read the book then you know how ungodly it is, they call God a computer, only, a computer, not God, but a computer could ahve writte tehe bible code. Of course like I said, it has been found that this infamous bible code is in most all other books too.

If you don't want to read the researched facts on teh subject then you need to do a lot more digging to get the absolute most information for yourself to form an opinion. Of course you've already formed an opinion based on what someoen else has written, so you've done exactly what you say you don't do.

I didn't see Princes Di, or Ahab in the bible either, can you point me to that.
    And if you've paid attention to bible code research, they want to be able to use it before the fact, before events happen, to fortune tell.
    Why would God reveal these great secrets to ungodly men, one an athiest, and not christians? After all He did reveal the rest of HIs word to HIS people, not the unbleivers. Seems quite a bit out of His charcter.