1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible Doctrine Institute

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Lukasaurus, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

http://www.tbdi.org

I am going through their course now. This is a proper Bible college course. 8 classes per semester, with about 50-75 hours of audio to listen to per semester.

In regards to doctrine, it is

* Dispensational
    * Pre millennial
    * Pre tribulational
    * King James Only

The course costs $50 to register, and $200 per semester. Total of 6 semesters.

This course is not for people wanting to get puffed up on knowledge so they can come online and ridicule people. It is for people who actually want to serve God - street preachers, mission workers, local church pastors, laymen - anyone.

Preachers include : James A. Lince (gone into glory, but he still teaches most classes via recordings), David Peacock, Greg Estep and several others

Classes include
    Classes on all NT books (these comprise most of the course)
    Classes on groups of OT books
    Preparation and Delivery
    Rightly Dividing
    Church History
    Local Church
    Bible Cults
    Problem Texts
    Manuscript Evidence
    Missions

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Are you aqware that they use a lot of Ruckman written material for textbooks. Most KJO's don't wish to be associated with Ruckman.:tonofbricks: He is to far over the edge.

3. Siberian

Siberian New Member

What a strange thing to say. And which courses are for people who do not wish to serve God, but would rather get puffed up with knowledge so as to ridicule people online?

And this institute awards ThD's - why would they do that without the proper faculty credentials and accreditation unless it is indeed for those who wish to get puffed up? Why not just offer an advanced certificate?

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Internal contradictions?

In reviewing the TBCI web site, I found several disturbing things.
    1. They appear closely associated with Peter Ruckman, who is a self-aggrandizing, bombastic heretic. Peter Ruckman’s violent temper, intemperate speech, prideful boasting and questionable lifestyle bring any association with him into question. I doubt that we would place much credence in someone who praised Charles Taze Russell as a great Bible student.
    2. Assuming that they are pretty much a Ruckmanite school (if I am wrong, I will recant), these schools tend to be cultic—they praise themselves and their circle but they demonize everyone else.
    3. The faculty/staff are mostly homegrown, which is one sign of a degree mill. I see no evidence of qualifications as Bible teachers. If they were instructed from Ruckman’s books, then they don’t know the Bible. IMHO, they are gulling the ignorant and unlearned into believing they are spiritual giants with outstanding academic qualifications. I see little praiseworthy in this.
    4. The faculty/staff are festooned with doctorates from “less than wonderful” schools. Why do they accrue to themselves trappings of academia if they are mere humble Bible teachers who instruct the laity? On the other hand, they are obviously not great academics with impeccable credentials. There appears to be an internal contradiction here. They masquerade as scholars bearing capital letters, yet they inveigh against those “puffed up on knowledge.” I never thought there was virtue in ignorance. I am against pride and arrogance but I’m against ignorance, fakery and fraud too. It seems that there’s pride in those who decry it.
    5. There are blatantly inaccuracies such as: “After two years at Midwestern, he was shocked to discover they rejected the King James Bible, and soon left.” Midwestern Baptist College, founded by Dr. Tom Malone, does in fact accept and use the KJV but they are not Ruckmanite. The Midwestern Baptist College web site plainly states: “The King James Bible is exclusively used at Midwestern Baptist College.” Why do people misrepresent other people’s positions? This is in the same vein as Jack Schaap’s diatribe against Pillsbury a few years ago.
    6. Consider the self-aggrandizing in the following boast taken from the TBDI web page: “There is no doubt in the mind of the board of directors or the instructors here at TBDI that Dr. Lince was one of the greatest expository Bible Preachers this country has ever known.” Why do we have to make comparisons? Has anyone on this thread ever heard of Dr. Lince? I heard of him simply because I delve into a lot of esoteric trivia but I don’t think he qualifies as the greatest expositor in America.
    7. A “proper Bible college course” is more than 50-75 hours of listening to tapes. Most of us get that much in Sunday School and church services each year. The rigor of the material and the activities along with the accountability are equally important. There appears to be no accountability except “on your honor.” Also, they appear to accept anyone of whatever belief upon payment of tuition and fees.

In sum, I find very little to commend this school. IMHO, it is another degree mill. Degree mills are no bargain at any price. They promise much more than they can deliver. On the other hand, I suppose they do teach some Bible truth and doctrine. And like the Apostle Paul, I must rejoice anytime the Word of God is taught whether is in cooperation or contention with us. The bottom line is that they perform at the Bible institute level but they award doctorates. IMHO, this is less than God-honoring.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Touche'

Very good points! I want to see the answers to these questions if the poster dares.

6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Why on earth would I dare.. or even care? And I simply posted information for people. Good on all you internet heroes. Please carefully note all my posts where I have railed on all the reformed colleges and warned everyone about their false doctrines....

It's not like I founded the institute.

what I find distressing is that if Ruckman is such a bad example of a pastor, why every other man on the planet must act the same way he does and call him a self-aggrandizing, bombastic heretic who said the founder of the JW's was a great Bible student (book, and page # please). If he is really nothing, why does everyone fear him?

God bless :)

Luke

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I hardly think that anyone hear has any fear of Dr Ruckman :)

We are called on by the word of God to expose false teachers however.

8. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

But who is being divisive? In all of this, I'm the only one that has been ridiculed, for respecting a man who believes the word of God is the word of God. I've not said a cruel thing about any other man, as far as I remember, nor attacked any man's character.

If there is a doctrine that Dr Ruckman teaches, then I would lovingly suggest that someone post some EVIDENCE that he is wrong, as well as the EVIDENCE that he actually teaches that doctrine. That evidence would include quotes and page numbers in context.

I got asked to do the same thing, so I don't think it is unfair to request it.

If you are told to correct false doctrine, why is there even a thread open about God using evolution? It's false. Delete it. Why are there calvinists and non-calvinists on the board? One of them is wrong (I happen to know which one).

If you are so set on correcting false doctrine, ban me, because I believe the KJ Bible is perfect, inspired, infallible, innerrant.

If it's a false doctrine to believe that God is sovereign enough to preserve His own word, ban me. Or call me on a technicality and say something like "we aren't banning you because you believe the Bible, but because you broke the rules". That's always a good one.

The only people being divisive on here are the people that just can't seem to hold their tongues about men. It's like they gleefully can't wait to type up the latest tidbit from Bob Ross or David Cloud about Ruckman.

Here is some meat for the sharks - Ruckman believes the antichrist will land in a spaceship and kiss everyone with big black lips. GO GO GO!

You strain AT a gnat (NOT OUT lol) and swallow the camel. What camel? THE FACT that at least 70% of people on this board think that God takes pleasure in damning souls to hell for eternity, where they will be burnt by everlasting flame, through no fault of their own. Misrepresentation? Eat it. And you whine because a man says that Genesis 6 brought about a new devilish race of extra terrestrial beings.

This board is full of heretics. Ruckmanism is the least of your worries.

God bless maam

9. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

It looks like many of their staff fit the bill of being "puffed up" with knowledge; take note of the graduate degrees of the founder etc...

From their website:
    Founder - Dr. James A. Lince B. Div., M. Th., D.D., Ph. D
    President - Dr. David L. Peacock B.Div., M.Th., Th.D.
    Vice President - Pastor Michael B. Wheeler B. Div., M. Th.

The King James Version is a beautiful translation but it is unwise to elevate it to the place of worship; God alone is to be worshiped, the Bible, KJV or otherwise points to us to Him as it is His perfect revelation to us in the original manuscripts...

But what do I know? I am a heretical Congregational Pastor holding to Baptist Distinctives who is all "puffed up" with knowledge...

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is an interesting article on this topic.

11. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

Educated "heretics" ???

Hi Lukasaurus ...
    Just an observation; the term "heretic" seems to be slung around loosely on this board and I'm not sure it's relevant in a discussion forum about colleges and schools. I'm not a moderator, but let's cool down a bit here and not be so quick to judge and falsely acuse the majority of heretical beliefs. For your benefit, I have included a definition of the word.

Heretic- anyone who does not conform to an established attitude, doctrine, or principle. (Dictionary.com, 2008)

In peace.

12. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Why don't you make a thread about it in debate, instead of filling this one?

13. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

I'm sorry, does it frustrate you when someone respectfully asks you to refrain from false accusations? Perhaps you only want to read responses and opinions that agree with your position. Life would be so much easier this way. Your witness of the Gospel falls on deaf ears with an argumentative and combative approach. Try a little love, brother!

14. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Believing the KJB is not the gospel...

As for love, perhaps the men who called Dr Ruckman a jerk (not in this thread) should lead by example. If they think he is a jerk for his name calling, it doesn't say much about them now does it?

I'm not the one being combative here. I posted the College I am studying through, but all the white knights rode on in and valiantly posted about how much they hate Ruckman, warning me about all his heresies, like believe the King James Bible is perfect, like I didn't already know. In order to do the course, you have to buy Ruckman's books, so I was pretty much aware of it.

I did post a bit of a cheeky remark, but only because the day I posted it, I was told that my beliefs weren't supported by any men that are considered "scholarly". I was in a foul mood and shouldn't have let it affect my post.

God bless :)

15. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

Hi Lukasaurus,
    Thanks for the reply, I can understand how you feel. I wish you well in your studies. :thumbs:

16. Siberian

Siberian New Member

I think even you could re-read your posts and see that you were indeed being combative (mostly after your op, when negative comments were made about this institute). If you do not appreciate hearing opinions about that school (or about Dr. Ruckman) , then you probably should not have posted it.

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Peter Ruckman

The life, teachings and reputation of Peter Ruckman is well known among American Fundamentalists. There is no refutation or contention as to the veracity of these accusations. Thus, we have Biblically repudiated him and his doctrine.

1 Timothy 5:19-21 (King James Version)

19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

Titus 3:9-11 (King James Version)

9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well...that about wraps up your posting here, right? I mean, since we're all heretics and all, and you shouldn't want to associate yourself with such rampant darkness...

...I can only assume that any further postings by you on this board constitute disobedience.

19. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I have found several issues with such a statement. The first would be the length of each course. Normally, a semester is 16 weeks or Liberty University divides the semester into 8wk minimesters. So the lack of class time raises an large flag. Then the little amount of tapes or lecutres. One could find such by listening to one sermon a week. Essentially, it is a weak course.

As regards to your comment, why state it? The school offers a "degree" program, so obviously you want some credit for the work you have done. If this is a claim the school makes, then why charge someone for the course? I do realize the cost is minimal, but why waste minimal money that can be placed elsewhere. The doctrines are wonderful doctrines, but there is a difference in being indoctrinated, and learning to interpret the Bible, and following the doctrine therein it.

#19 michaelbowe, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  20. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Well friend, like most semesters, these are 16weeks long. I have 5 months to complete all the course requirements of each semester, which, like I said, involves listening to anywhere from 50-75 hours of audio, while completing essays, writing sermons (one per week for 16 weeks), and still keeping my normal job so I can support my family. so.. if you can get through 50-75 hours of audio in 16 weeks by listening to one sermon a week.. wow.

Each semester has 8 courses in it (I didn't list all the courses above. Most of them are courses on NT books).

Little amount of tape or lectures? The course on Rightly dividing was 12 hours long, so it took me essentially 12 evenings to listen to the material, plus a lot of extra time to read the books required.

The lack of class time is a good thing for me. Seeing as I am in New Zealand, and the physical school is in Florida, I'll have a hard time. But, the audio is recorded FROM classes. The preachers are speaking to real students. It's not just a bunch of sermons they have stuck together.

So don't say it is a weak course, when I am putting a lot of effort and time into it. It's a guided Bible study, of each book, not indoctrination.

Brother, get your facts right before you so valiantly ride on in on your white horse, bearing the flag of "false doctrine correction".

God bless

PS I didn't intend to post anymore on this board, but I felt the facts needed to be corrected here.