1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Bible Knowledge Commentary: Old & New Testament, 2 Volumes

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TCGreek, Oct 12, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Pastors,

Does anyone use this set? How is it? I know it is from out of DTS.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I use it when I need quick straight forward answers. It is not overly technical but is not nearly as folksy as J. Vernan McGhee. If you get it thruogh CBD it's a great buy.

3. pops

pops New Member

commentary

Hi Gents: Would you believe those are the two commentaries that I have. I use the Bible Knowledge on as a reference volume to looks things up in. I use McGee's for more 'detailed' reading. It is five volumes you know. I used this set once in 'reading through the Bible' I read every last page and it took two years. I do other readings so this is one reason plus you can only absorb so much in this thick head of mine.

4. God's fire in my Bones

me 2

I also have these but I perfer Megee.

5. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I like the Bible Knowledge Commentary. I use that second to Warren Wiersbe's "Be" Series Commentaries. Then my third favorite is J. Vernon McGhee and then Pulpit Commentary.

You will benefit greatly with this 2 volume set.

6. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I bought this set while a student at DTS. I find it to be one of the best 2 volume commentaries around. In fact, the Old Testament volume is lying beside me on the couch right now.:thumbs: :thumbs:

7. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Usually when I begin to study a passage or a book, the first commentary that I look at is BKC, for an overview of the passage, then on to a more in-depth commentary, such as John Phillips Exploring series.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I got my set today and it looks good; I checked several passages and outside of the DTS dispensational bent, I have found the commentaries to be succinct and scholarly. I too will recommend the set. :thumbs:

9. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Maybe with a little time, you too will be "bent" toward Dispensationalism. :wavey: :saint:
    :godisgood:

10. Plain Old Bill

TCG, enjoy the set I am sure you will find it gets to the point of a subject quickly and seldom dodges bullets.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm already finding that out. I'm appropriately impress with how they can say so much in few words, yet in a scholarly manner and even commenting on the orginal languages.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As excellent as this set is, I cannot agree to their view of dispensationalism. :thumbs:

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This set is good for a beginner or first glance study of a passage. It provides little to no help for preaching or leading Bible studies. I recommend it only for laymen who want to read a passage and then have a succinct commentary on the passage. I have them both and rarely if ever open them.

It does not address very many substantive issues of interpretive or theological importance. It does not provide much support for the views that it does take. It often ignores the crux interpreta of the passage it is talking about.

14. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I have used this set for many years and find it thoroughly useful. I think it may help with preaching, I recently taught on Ezra and Nehemiah and it had a very handy time line showing the chronology of the returning captives to Jerusalem. It isn't exhaustive, but it is better than most general commentaries.

15. Plain Old Bill

If you want an exaustive commentary then try The Expositors Commentary edited by Gabelin.:godisgood: It's only $149 thru CBD.

16. Plain Old Bill

Then of course if you don't mind doing your reading online then go to my website which spiders to over 2,000 links many of which are scholarly and have more help than you can imagine.:godisgood:

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Nice site! I noticed you have Jonathan Edwards in the mix of things. :thumbs: