1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Biblical Doctrine of Penal Substitution

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saying ha the method God choose to us eto get everything accomplished fo us was the PST, as that is the primary biblical view of the atonement!

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We could, but I don't know that it would be on topic here. Barth did emphasize that the Word became flesh (and made man's situation his own). And he did seem apprehensive to call Jesus bearing the full consequence of our sin real punishment. But those views are common to Christian theology, and did not originate with Barth. So it is probably a topic for a different thread. I don't mind discussing Barth, but just like with N.T. Wright, I am not a student of the man. There are probably others here who are more knowledgeable than I on Barth.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not at all. You can't take one part and say "this is the most important part" or the "primary view". I suppose one could easily make a case that submissive obedience of the Son is the "primary" biblical view as well. It is how God accomplished redemption, after all. And it is the one aspect that is emphasized throughout Scripture (for example, in the passage I provided Paul does not even mention God's wrath, or sin, but he does mention the obedience of Christ).

If you spend your whole life looking at Scripture through one truth, then you never see anything else. Your understanding of the Atonement will never be anything beyond a legal transaction centered on man and God's need to expend the wrath his justice harbors. What holds it all together is not the justice of God (again, not denying the justice of God) but the love of God.

In other words, I do not deny limited atonement but I deny your limited view of Atonement.

Why do you believe that the main focus of the atonement needs to be on the punishment of God rather than other biblical aspects (like faithful obedience, victory over death and sin, the New Covenant, the Resurrection, the "Kingdom of God", etc.)?

What exactly are your arguments against my position, except that it is not yours? Is there even one passage of Scripture that calls into question my view? If so, what is it?

#143 JonC, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning

This thread will be closed sometime after 7 AM Pacific.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC,
    I'm not going to find the time to answer your post until Monday, by which time this thread will be closed.
    My apologies for this; I am still interested in pursuing the matter a little further, so I will reply to you in a new thread in due course.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you resists muh that PST is the primary biblical emphasis on the atonement of Christ forus sinners my brother?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He saw God electing all snners into Jesus death, so that close to universalism, and some here take thatv iew to make all reconciled to God in a corporate sense already!

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    l
    That sounds good. Have a wonderful weekend. I pray you will both be blessed and a blessing to your church tomorrow.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't think we have universalists here, as this is the Baptist only section. But who knows.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some seem to be advocating Jesus reconciled all back to God, and we are the ones taking us out of being saved!

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who advocates that idea?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Brother who stated that Jesus died to reconcile all humaity in a corporate sense back! That He tasteddeath for all humanity fallen flsh natures?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed that one. Sounds like a corruption of 2 Cor. 5:19.

I would like to look at the topic of this OP in more detail. Perhaps start by looking at how the OT sacrifices prove PST by showing punishment (symbolically) inflicted on the object of sacrifice. I'm interested in knowing exactly where the idea that the atoning sacrifice is punished vicariously with the punishment due the offender originated. Is it inherent in the idea of propitiation? Or is it something we reason into the sacrificial system?

#153 JonC, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.