1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Biblical Evangelist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TheWinDork, Jun 2, 2006.

1. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Not really a debate, but a question, What's the story on the Paper called "The Biblical Evangelist"?

I requested a copy and I finally got it. Looks decent, some of the language towards to KJV is a bit hostile, But other than that. It seems fine.

Again, not looking for a debate or a fight, just a simple question. says it's been around since 1966, is this true?

Just wonderin'

-TheWinDork :type:

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I don't agree with everything I read in the Evangelist, but it is a pretty well balanced paper. Dr. Sumner was a contemporary of Dr. John Rice and he holds pretty closely to Dr. Rice's view of things. I don't think it is 'hostile' towards the KJV at all although they are no fan of KJVO.

Yep, the Evangelist has been around in one form or another since around '66.

3. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Yeah, that's what I meant, they're not in the IFBx, KJVO/ Ruckmanite camp. Which is a good thing! :thumbsup:

There is a distinct difference between we that believe it's the preserved word of God and the ruckmanite, KJV-cultists... If anything, I'm a "Cloud'ite"... and I wear that badge with honor! :D :cool: :smilewinkgrin:

-TheWinDork

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I've been labeled as "KJVO", but since I was a King James Bible man before I got saved, and haven't changed, and will not change, I have also been labeled a "Ruckmanite" and had never even heard of the man or his stand until after I was labeled.

I don't belong to a "camp", as a matter of fact, I preach against factions, sects, societies, and cliques/ "camps": so should you.:praise: :Fish: :praise:

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

BTW, thanks for telling me to never waste my time with the paper.:smilewinkgrin:

6. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I realize these threads are supposed to stay on message, but sometimes things are said that can't stand without comment.

I have seen many attacks on Peter Ruckman. I have never met the man. I have read many of his books and I've seen some of his videos. I also know a few people who were trained at PBI. I think the term "Ruckmanite" is pretty demeaning, probably used to paint them as a cult. I am sitting in my office with a "Ruckmanite" right now. He is one of the nicest guys I know. I realize, from reading some of the books by Ruckman, he is not the nicest guy on the planet, but what he teaches seems sound to me. I just don't get why people have to attack someone who they don't agree with. Is it because he won't compromise what he believes?

7. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Oh so, do you think or believe the following:

1. Do you think it is right to be married more than once?
    2. Are you a hyper-dispensationalist? (which is what ruckman uses to justify his multi-marriages)
    3. Do you believe that the King James Version corrects the Original scrolls and is a an advanced revelation over the original Greek and Hebrew?
    4. Do you believe his stupid claims of UFO's and them being in the Bible?
    5. Do you condone his racially toned jokes that he's been known to tell to people after his sermons?
    6. do you agree with his stupid assumption that
    Ashtoreth is really the Holiday Easter? and not The moon goddess of the Phoenicians. Which has been confirmed in countless Bible commentaries, written years before even before Peter Ruckman was even thought of... and even secular history confirms it...(see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtoreth)

My point is Ruckman is a False Deciever and a divider of the Body of Christ. He should be branded and treated as such. and I for one, am GLAD that people like David Cloud have EXPOSED that baffon for what he really is! Every TIME I have read his supposed Private Bible Believers bulletin, (it can be read by anyone who knows how to use Google Toolbar... it's not behind a secure server... ) I go away with the feeling of, I don't know who's more stupid, the person that writes that drivel of his or the people that read it and actually believe what he writes! :laugh: and while I'm on the subject, Bruce Lackey is more of a Bible Teacher, than Peter Ruckman will EVER BE!

-Sir Dorkus Maximus

#7 TheWinDork, Jun 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
  8. Blammo

Blammo New Member

LOL Okay, Dork

9. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

That's what I thought... can't back up what you believe.

-TheWinDork

10. Blammo

Blammo New Member

WinDork -

I am not a "Ruckmanite". Read my last post again.

I believe many of the things that I have read by Pete Ruckman. I have never read any of the things that you posted. Just because I defend the man you think that means I believe everything he teaches? I probably don't. There are many good bible teachers that may have a few goofy ideas. Does that make them "false decievers"? Does it not take your hatred toward the man to complete the division?

11. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

say what you wish, the man is deciever and a pusher of false dcotrines. and I, personally, want nothing to do with him or anyone who believes and even reads what he writes...

Now let's get this back on topic, before the Mod's close it. :cool:

-TheWinDork

12. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Okay, I'll just let you attack me because I don't have a problem with another christian. I'll just let you slander a man and everyone that "even reads what he writes". After all, even though you said you will have nothing to do with me, just because I have read some of what Ruckman has written, it's not you who is causing division.

13. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Forum Moderator

when you're done denyin' come talk to me, [Personal attack removed. Debate the issue and do not attack the person holding the opposing view].

#13 TheWinDork, Jun 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Dear Mr. WinDork,

You are more than a bit offensive in your dealings with people who don't see eye-to-eye with you.

It is possible to state your case and counter without the offense. The old saying that you get more flies with honey is true. AND this in no way means that you cannot be strong in your argument. You can argue a point strongly without the offense.

15. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Wow, you really are unforgiving aren't you. I say I am not a "Ruckmanite", you don't know a thing about me, and you say I am.

I don't have anything against you, haven't attacked you, and you are seperating yourself from me. For what reason? Who is the divider? The only thing I was doing is sticking up for a man who is obviously not here to defend himself.

But, like you said, let the subject change back to that of the OP.
    (Unless you would like to discuss this further? But, what's the point?)

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Mexdeaf pointed out, Dr. Robert "Bob" Sumner is an old school evangelist (originally GARB) in the mold of my grandfather, John R. Rice. In fact they were close friends, with Dr. Sumner contributing often to the SOTL with articles and a column. Dr. Sumner did indeed start his paper in 1966, but merged it with the SOTL in 1980 to help Dr. Rice in the transition process as he looked to hand of the Sword of the Lord to Curtis Hutson. In 1982 Dr. Sumner left the Sword and re-started "The Biblical Evangelist." See the history of this time on the website at www.biblicalevangelist.org .

Sumner is a non-KJVO IFB Fundamentalist. He is an excellent writer and has some great columnists working with him. However, don't read "The Biblical Evangelist" if you don't like to have your presuppositions challenged, can't stand someone disagreeing with you, or think all non-KJVO people are headed straight for Hell. Dr. Sumner is very straightforward, and gives good arguments for what he believes.

17. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE BIBLICAL EVANGELIST is a helpful, informative, fundamentalist publication. Each issue has sermons by fundamentalists of the past and the present, book reviews of books of interest to fundamentalists, and several columns by present fundamentalists.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

I love the book reviews and have made several purchases based on their recomendations.

One thing I like about the Biblical Evangelist more than Sword of the Lord is there are a lot fewer advertisemetns. There are still some but the last few copies of the sword I looked at had page after page that were predominatley advertising.

The preaching is first rate.

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Grant Rice column on Church planting

Is worth the price of your subscription. Brother Rice has been either planting Fundamental Baptist churches or helping men do the same since before most of us were born. And the man started his ministry out from a machine shop.

20. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

It is not that he has compromised what he beleives, it is that he has compromised his stand with the Word of God. How many times has the man been married and divorced. That should eliminate him from qualification of being a pastor