1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The body of Jesus in the grave?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jcf, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jcf

jcf Guest

Can someone tell me why you believe that only Jesus' body died and was in the grave and not His soul when the Scripture say differently?

Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Act 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Act 13:34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, [now] no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

Act 13:35 Wherefore he saith also in another [psalm], Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Mar 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and [of] the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Mat 17:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

Mar 10:34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

There are many, many more verses but I'll stop here.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you make this claim? None of your quoted Scripture upholds it! If anything, it does just the opposite.

Also the following Scripture should nullify your claim that the cross killed Jesus' soul

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In John 11 Jesus did not say that Lazarus' soul was dead or in hell. Rather Jesus' claim about Lazarus (the soul - the person Lazarus) is the SAME as Paul's claim about the sleeping saints in 1Thess 4, 1Cor 15, 1Cor 11 etc.

It is the "saints" that sleep not "The decaying dust of the saints sleeping".

It is "Lazarus" that sleeps not "just his foot" or just his "decaying body"

In Phil 2 we are told that Christ was God before coming to earth.

Then on earth He was "incarnate" God in the form of Christ. Thomas calls Him "My Lord AND My God". Jesus BLESSES those who LIKE Thomas confess Christ - but do so WITHOUT having to see Him physically.

So asking what happens to "Incarnate God" when His human body dies -- and trying to "get that detail" from scripture is relying a lot on guesswork and very little on scripture.

Where do you read about Christ opening His eyes - taking off his grave clothes. A bright light of some kind within/around Him at His resurrection?

Answer? You don't!

But something like that "likely happened" at the resurrection.

Still - anything you say would be guesswork.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoting
    "Can someone tell me why you believe that only Jesus' body died and was in the grave and not His soul when the Scripture say differently?"

Whom do you mean, adressing him / them with "you"?
    Do you exclude yourself?
    Then I for myself speaking won't discourse with you.
    If you believe, despite any difficulties in understanding, then we could converse!

I pray you do believe.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

No one's soul dies.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess these weren't the answers he(she?) was looking for?! :confused: