1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The book Eve by Paul Young

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 19, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This I agree with. Why is this new book a best seller among the church and why are people not responding in droves to his false teachings?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

This whole thing is simply explained.

The author of this book is unsaved. More then that, he has his own agenda. He interweaves this agenda deep into the pages of his book. Simple.

For a christian to read it, he would need to be very careful, and take every sentence critically and with careful thought.

I would say the best way to spread a disease is through seemingly benign fiction. "Well of course it's fake, we don't believe it...". That may be true, but the seed of the author's agenda has been subconsciously planted by the time you finish your "entertainment experience".

Just like movies. They're filled with luciferian imagery and themes. Why wouldn't they be? Satan is known for deceiving...so of course he's going to pick the thing we consider harmless, to harm us.

:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Nope. No hypocrisy here my friend, so no, I didn't 'also' not read or teach the book. But that isn't all I alluded to, though you make pretense as to this only being valid to a cursory reader. I also mentioned the review as well, and yes, I read that.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we just got our wires crossed and were talking past each other. I was referring to the comments of the OP and not the review.
    I don't know anything about the book itself. I read the review and if the reviewer is correct and his conclusions are accurate, then his warnings seem logical. Insofar as the book, what I mean is that I don't read that type of material. It doesn't appeal to me (I don't understand why anyone would read a work of fiction to understand what is plainly taught in God's own revelation....but I see it often in "study" guides so I grant it happens).

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard of this book till this thread, but I did read a little into The Shack, and decided that this was one that I was not even going to give away - straight to file 13!!!
    Obviously I will NOT be pursuing this one any further!

6. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This book has no business being in churches.

JonC as far as wondering why anyone would teach from it, we live in a world where a lot of stuff is taught and absorbed through fiction books. I remember how seriously people took the Divinci Code a decade or so ago. Or there was the Left Behind series where Tim Lahey was teaching his view of the end times through those books. Fiction is a very subtle way to get people to ask questions. And in the case of Eve the author want his audience to ask 'Did God really say...'
    And yes I know of "churches" that have used fictional books for study.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have heard of the same thing (the Frank Peretti books come to my mind), though I have not seen it first hand. I cannot help but think that churches that do so are motivated by a desire for fresh material to keep people's interest.