1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Book of Mormon

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by charles_creech78, Sep 21, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Romans 6 Paul argues that if we serve rebellion against God's Law (SIN) then SIN is our master.

In Romans 7 Paul argues that even AFTER the cross he AGREES "THE law is Holy just and GOOD but I AM sinful sold under sin" - Paul states that in his mind/heart he CHOOSES obedience to God's Law.

Is it any wonder that Paul says in Romans 3 "Do we then abolish the law by our faith? God forbid!! IN fact we ESTABLISH the LAW"! Rom 3:31

Is it any wonder that Paul says in Romans 2 "For it is not the HEARERS of the Law that are just before God but the DOERS of the LAW WILL BE JustiFIED" Rom 3:11-13.

Yet many here claim they "Choose that the law be abolished".

What a contrast.

in Christ,

Bob

#61 BobRyan, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Book of Mormon, or The Record of the Nephites, is alleged to be the history of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas, which, according the book, are direct descendants of Jacob. Lehi and his family were given divine inspiration to come to the Americas to avoid the Babylonian captivity. After arriving, Lehi's sons, Laman and Nephi, became two nations. The Lamanites rebelled and God cursed them with dark skin. The Nephites were righteous and lilly-white.

After Christ's Ascension, He then descended like an ICBM to the Americas and started his earthly ministry over again among the Nephites. He chose the twelve most righteous Nephites to be His disciples, and then much of the book of Isaiah and the Gospels is plagarized.

But Christ's Kingdom didn't take hold in the West. The Church got a good start, but every last man woman and child, with the exception of three men, became corrupt. Instead of giving the Nephites dark skin, God completely wiped them out leaving only the red-skinned Lamanites to run amok in the Americas. Well, only the Lamanites plus the three Nephites who were told they would live on earth until the Third Advent of Christ as a reward for their faithfulness.

And that's the story of the Book of Mormon in a nutshell. This is the whole basis of the Restoration. Discredit the Book of Mormon and you've discredited the entire body of Mormonistic sects. If you will read the Book of Mormon (at least as it exists among the RLDS/Community of Christ/Church of Jesus Christ Restored) you see that with the exception of two artful similies, I have given a full and accurate summary of its contents. It's all poppycock and fairy tale.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm with you on this one. I've invited them in, allowed them to share what they wanted to on the condition that i too get to share my faith with them, and they have always been open to the possibility of an unarmed person going into a battle of the wits with them.
    In the end, i'm not sure if any of them have accepted the truth of Scripture that says who Jesus is, what Jesus did for them and why...but i do know that seeds of doubt were planted.
    Proof of this is if the missionaries come back and one of them is different and more experienced.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I just had two young men come to me door and want to talk. I explained my stance in my church and my beliefs and they asked me to do one thing.

They wanted me to read two chapters in their Book of Mormon and come back and talk about it in a few days. I told them ok, only because I know nothing about them, not because I doubt my faith.

So, I know there is a community here at Baptist Board where I can gain knowledge and information from, so I do a search and find this thread..

<-- Steps on Soapbox-->

IN the 5+ pages I find more fighting among us than pulling together and preparing for and answering the question of the OP.

Maybe that's why we have a hard time converting and winning people to CHrist!

Thanks to the 4 or so people that acutally ANSWERED the question, as your resources will help me when witnessing to these guys later. To the ones that want to argue about everything, well know that your "disagreement" have derailed this thread somewhat, and where this thread could have been a great resource to people like myself who have Mormon's on their doorstep, you have run it amuck. Please consider this in the future while posting that some of us want information that will be helpful to witness to the lost souls showing up on our steps.

<-- Steps Off Soapbox-->

As for the rest of you, if you have anything useful that I can use to witness to these guys, please post it and many thanks!

Jamie

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said in my earlier posts - Mormon doctrine is not actually taught from the BoM -- The BoM itself is used primarily just to claim that Joseph Smith was inspired and has a better Bible than the Bible itself.

No real doctrinal argument there except that "prophets exist" according to the actual Bible.

The BoM appears to be edited by Smith -- with additions made to the introduction for example - but otherwise it appears to be the work of Samuel Spaulding who is more of an Anabaptist in the 18th century amillennial and not much inclined to distinctive Mormon doctrines. He was writing what he thought to be a Pilgrim's Progress story for the Americas.

in Christ,

Bob

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

By all means, invite them in if you like. But if want to engage them in a discussion, you better know what you're doing, or they'll eat your lunch. My advice is to find some writings by ex-Mormons and ex-JWs, and read their advice on how to witness.

Paul Blizard is a former JW turned Baptist pastor. His website is one of the best around for learning about JWs.

http://www.geocities.com/paulblizard/main2.html

A Google search will likely turn up some good sites about Mormons.

If you do invite them in, ask them to give their salvation testimony and watch them squirm. They'll cite their baptism, but insist on hearing about the time which God worked a radical transformation on them and brought them to the point of repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. They really can't do it. But you can, so give them your testimony. You canwitness to them through your testimony. They'll leave very quickly after that, but you've smiled and been cordial all the way through.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

That was my reasoning for coming to the forum to look for 'help' and answers. I know some of these people can be very convincing.

I did do a Google search, but like anything, you can't always trust what you read on the web. Hearing from a fellow Baptist with first hand knowledge is better. Especially if that memeber of a Pastor.

This is the type of help I was looking for. Giving my testimony is quite simple and it changed my life. It's interesting to know that they can't or won't have the same life transforming story or be able to share how God touched their lives.

Thanks for the help!
    Jamie

8. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Time will tell.

David

9. David Michael Harris

Thought I already did that?

David

10. David Michael Harris

Use your brain.

Invite Hitler to tea why dont you.

David

11. David Michael Harris

Do you wear glasses?

David

12. David Michael Harris

It's what God will do.

David

13. David Michael Harris

I am more evangelic than you know, this tirade of arrows is not fair.

Tomorrow is another day.

David

14. David Michael Harris

Thanks tentmaker, I was hassled by jw's from the word go, even had them move in next door, maybe that is why I am a bit strong.

I hold to the Bible though.

David

15. David Michael Harris

Debbie, I am sorry.

David

16. David Michael Harris

Dan, not been here in a while, been arguing and getting banned from the puritan board and arguing also with hypercalvinists.

And some other projects etc etc.

David

17. David Michael Harris

Btw, the mormon issue in America seems very political these days.

I am not surprised by the arrows .

David

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HUH? I graduated from high school 25 years ago and this woman is still walking with the Lord in ministry with her husband. Time will tell what??

19. David Michael Harris

Then I totally repent And say that your correct.

Forgive me.

I will not say another word on this issue accept that you are apparently correct.

God bless you.

David

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Back when the Olympics were in SLC, I led a group out there to do a mission work. When I went out for a preview trip, I went down town and watched a "movie" put out by Mormons at one of their amazing structures that propogated their false teaching.

I am still amazed that they put to video that Jesus appeared after his resurrection in the Americas to the Indians. I cannot find that in Biblical scripture.