1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the burning of ancient manuscripts

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by grahame, Mar 17, 2008.

1. grahame

grahame New Member

Is it true that the Emperor Constantine burnt 1000's of gospels in favour of the 4 gospels that we have today? What proof do they who say this have that he did so?
    Sorry, not sure where to post this. Please feel free to move it.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Constantine the Great certainly had opportunity to manipulate what was published in his empire. There is a lot of speculation as to what exactly he did for the cause of Christ. In as much as he showed no evidence of having been redeemed by the Blood of The Lamb, I expect he was following his father--the author of confusion and all lies.

Constantine's religious progeny, the holy see, went to great lengths to destroy the English Bible and those who would be translators thereof. See: History of the English Bible.

Satan does not want the Truth to be made public.

The religions of the world have not a clue.

Selah,

Bro. James

4. grahame

grahame New Member

Thank you both for your replies. The links proved very useful. Brother James. I did at first wonder what you were saying and what side you were coming down on? Whether you were agreeing with Dan Browns (novel) in which he stated (or his characters stated) that Constantine burned all the other gospels in favour of the four we have today. But obviously a lot of people drink in any old rubbish that keeps them contented in their sin and lessens the urgency of the gospel.
    But reading your profile I think that you rather believe in the truth of the established Bible that we have in our possession today?
    I did read something that made me curious though. I read that the Apostles quoted the prophesy of Enoch? That which we look upon as apocryphal today. Which is true, they did. And also that when the canon of holy scripture was being decided upon, the Gnostic gospels (so called) were being read by Christians of that time?

5. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

6. sister christian

I think we should spend less time worrying about the books we don't have (if any) and more time studying and memorizing the ones we do. There's plenty enough to fill a lifetime.

7. grahame

grahame New Member

I'm sorry, but I was asked this of a non Christian and I felt obligated to give him some kind of intelligent answer. I'm not one who goes in for this kind of discussion that has a pat answer to everything as if that answer is the end of all wisdom for Christians.

Unfornuately although we may believe that we have sufficient scripture to save our souls there are things that happened in history that require answers. I'm not the type of person who likes to be spoon fed every story we are told and blindly accept all things that have happened in history.

This is not to question the reliability of the scriptures. But it does involve investigating the way they were collated and accepted into the Christian and in some cases the Jewish canon of scripture. For like it or not the early church fathers did quote from uninspired scripture and also supposedly from books that were not accepted into the canon of holy writ. I for one would like to know the story behind it. If we do not ask these questions then we are in danger of falling into the same errors of the Roman Catholic Church.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grahame,
    The VERY FIRST thing you should tell this person is that Dan Brown admitted, in a court of law, that his book was fiction.

It's like saying, "Hey, that book by Tom Clancy, 'Red October'? Did that really happen, and the military covered it up?"

I haven't read Dan Brown's books. Maybe some day. But before I start reading them, I already know they're fiction, and that I can find most, if not all, of the conspiracy theories in them on the internet somewhere.

As for the books that weren't included in our Bible today, there are many authentic books and articles, not written by Dan Brown, that explain those things.

There is only one truth that the individual has to decide: Is Jesus God? If a work of fiction can induce an individual to question that, then no matter how much proof you provide, you'll only be convincing them in the head, not the heart.

9. BaptistLady02

BaptistLady02 New Member

Regardless of whether he burnt many manuscripts or not, we still have the KJV Bible which is what God wants us to have. And praise God for that!

10. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes, praise God that we do have that and I myself prefer it to others. But I am also Reformed in persuasion and the English Reformers used the Geneva Bible. So I think it is also good to look at the original manuscripts. For instance I like the assuring news that the Dead Sea scrolls endorse the unique accuracy of God's word. They take us back another 1000 years from the earliest OT copies that we previously had and they are additional proof that God's word has not changed at all.

11. Danger Dog

Danger Dog New Member

True that. God will preserve His Word regardless of those in opposition to It.

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Burn scriptures

Nope. It is the tendancies of people who feel the gnostic bibles should be included into christian beliefs to in effect make it more worldly and immoral. The gnostics had a tendancy for sexual promiscuity. If we alowed for the gnostic gospels then we can make christianity say anything. Constantine (though he had a problem with Arius and his heresy) differed to the church leaders for unifying the beliefs in the church. He attended the synod or church council but it was a majority vote for acceptance of belief issues particularily when it came to the trinity. Arius was way out voted though the Jehovas witnesses make the same mistake today he did then. The early church fathers discredited the gnostic believers as heretics. For a sample of what these gnostics believed you should read Ireaneaus Against Heresies. Also read Eusibius Ecclesiastical History.

13. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes I've read both of these. I didn't know that the Gnostics had tendencies towards sexual promiscuity though. My understanding of them was that they differed widely in their beliefs and practices?

14. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Burning

They did. Ireaneus mentions this in against Heresies saying that women were lead into inproper relationships with men who had the secret gnosis. Also Marcion was forced to leave his home church and community in Turkey because he knocked up a girl there. I could go on and on. Gnostics primarily used aspects of greek philosophy and peganism to explain christianity an to create a gnosis by which you could be saved. Once you had this gnosis you were free to be immoral. There are similarities with the cult of Dionyses (sorry my spelling is off). The gnostics primarily believed that the material world was corrupt (bad, evil). To have a secret knowledge generally allowed you to spiritually move in the upper or greater planes. Once you had this secret knowledge (gnosis) you were above material things. Sometimes this led to sexual immorality, or extreme life styles to break down the body. It also led to errors such as Jesus wasn't trully human or he was entirely human and not divine. Or that he seemingly died ect...
    A lot of literature was lost (not necissarily scripture) when the Romans burned Alexandria down but that was during Octavius civil war with Mark Antony. Not Constantine.

15. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes I can see the Greek philosophy influence in all that. As I said I have read those two books, but some time ago. Amazing just how much we remember and how much we tend to forget what we read. That was very instructive. Thanks for that explanation.
    I find it interesting how modern heresies often follow the same lines of argument. They tend to speak in such high folluting ways in order to give folk the impression that they are more spiritually minded than "ordinary" Christians. But it is all a cover up or an excuse to commit the sin of their choice.

#15 grahame, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008