1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The chances of evolution

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Sep 30, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Some evolutionists use the argument that you cannot gather from the probabilities of life developing through evolution that evolution is impossible because this would imply that evolution is aimed at a certain goal. Instead evolution is supposed to be unspecific and not aimed at a certain goal and this means that using probabilities is senseless. For example winning in the lottery is highly unlikely but somebody always wins or at least very often somebody wins. The person which has won can't say that winning in the lottery is impossible because she has won. I guess what they are trying to "prove" is that basically probabilities don't matter at all once you have achieved the goal and they simply say that since we're here and since he exist probabilities don't play any role because we're here and this means that it obviously worked. But with this kind of logic you can justify every kind of theory. I think it's similar to the example with the cards where you draw a few cards and then say that the chance of drawing exactly these cards is 1:whatever but since you drew them it proves that everything is possible. But since you didn't determine which cards you want to pull the chance of simply pulling a few cards is 1. But this doesn't prove anything. I could as well drive in my car on the highway and at one point I throw something out of the window and then I could say that the chance of throwing it out exactly at this point is 1:whatever and this proves that even the most unlikely things are possible but what does this prove? :confused:

For example what would happen if something happens which is mathematically impossible? Would this prove that basically everything is possible and that probabilities have lost their right to exist?
    For example if somebody had said that Steve Irwin would have predicted the exact date of Steve Irwin's death and also the exact time and the cause of death then this would most likely have been mathematically impossible to predict. But what if something like this happened? What consequences would this have?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Boy oh boy is the rear of that frog getting hammered:BangHead: :smilewinkgrin:

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all - though atheist darwinists (and their devotees) hate statistical science - (and in fact all hard sciences) preferring pure speculation instead - the fact is "math works".

If you take a hand full of sand and could "mark" each grain of sand in some identifying way - then toss it on the ground AND then show that you accurately "predicted" the placement of each grain of sand. You would have something like the "impossibilities" that atheist darwinists faithfully "believe in".

But in atheist darwinism it is MORE than simply predicting the event - they claim that the sand falls to the ground - hits the beach - joins with other sand and the constructs a sand castle model of the Disney Castle. (i.e abiotic production of fully functional DNA).

They "believe" in the miracles that "nature might be believed to do" - but refuse to believe that the Creator does it AS HE SAYS.

If Steve Erwin gets up one morning before a scuba dive and says "today I will step on a large stingray and kill myself" it would be hard to know if he was simply expressing a death wish or seeing the future.

But if he draws a splatter pattern of sand - then shakes the sand out of his shoe and it makes that exact pattern - you would have to wonder about that.

In Christ,

Bob

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know or need to know anythng about science, all I need to know is in the bible, God did, He said so, no questions.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

well... what if someone asks you about science in the bible - a question like... rabbits dont chew the cud like the bible says the do...?
    (except they do)

there is alot of science in the bible that disproves alot of evolutionists.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

If an event occurs then the probability of it having occurred is 100% even if the probability of it occurring a 2nd time is very small.

for example, Recently a person won a state lottery a 2nd time. If the probablility of winning the first time was 10,000,000 to one then the probability of the 2nd win was 100,000,000,000,000 to one.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When you drop a handful of sand on the ground - you produce a pattern that can not be repeated "exactly" in millions and billions and trillions of tests. So What are the odds that you CAN drop a handful of sand on the ground?? Nearly 100%. AND what are the odds that the splatter pattern of any one drop will never be repeated in your life time? 100%.

The fact that events "happen" is mathematical certainty. But the suggestion that you could PICK one of the zillions of possible sand patterns "POSSIBLE" and then drop the sand into exactly that pattern by chance - is statistically IMPOSSIBLE!

IT is CERTAIN that someone WILL win the lottery - but it should be IMPOSSIBLE to "select ahead of time" who that person will be. (or at least it should be in a fully randomized system).

Atheist Darwinist Evolutionism SELECTS a SEQUENCE of unlikely events (in fact a sequence of IMPOSSIBLE events) and INSISTS that each of them MUST happen in sequence to get its desired atheist-darwinist outcome.

By CONTRAST in Romans 1 we see that God MAKES life and all that we see - in such an obvious way that EVEN unbelieving pagans are "without excuse" for the invisible attributes of God ... are clearly SEEN in the things that HAVE been MADE.

In Christ,

Bob