1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "children of God" in John 11:51,52

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tileeba, Dec 6, 2012.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea who told you this but I'm not a Calvinist and I do not believe that God elects gentiles before Salvation at all. The only ones that are elect before Salvation are Jews. and that election does not necessarily assure Salvation. Scripture does not say that any Gentile is elect.
    Even if I could accept men being the sheep of God before Salvation. Someone would have to show me in scripture how we can belong to God and Satan at the same time. Christ said we cannot serve two masters. For me there is no doubt that before I submitted myself to Christ I belonged to Satan.
    I disagree. God never changes as He has always been God almighty and always will be. How ever God is not limited to man's ideas of Him. Nor is His omnipotence. Nothing is impossible with God. Scripture could not say all things are possible with God and it not be so.
    Mat 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
    Mar 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
    MB

2. tileeba

tileeba New Member

Thank you for your comments, Herald. I've considered the possibility of it being the jews scattered abroad; however, this part was added by John as an explanation of the prophecy; it is not a direct quote of what Caiaphas said.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

You're right. I made my last post from my phone and didn't have the text in front of me. Thanks foe the correction.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mb---

maybe you should take another look...

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

2Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

opps..might have missed these verses also:
    9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

#24 Iconoclast, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You have taken the Scripture out of context. God cannot do anything contrary to His nature. For example God cannot lie:

Hebrews 6:17, 18
    17. Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
    18. That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

6. Herald

Herald New Member

Quite right. God's only limitations are those things in which He self-limits. You gave one example (God cannot lie).

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Skan and I both see it the same way, corporate election.

God sees and knows all things from way before He even created the first angel. I agree that God gives faith to His creation, but not irresistibly so. A gift given to where they have to accept it, isn't a gift. Some will squander there "faith gift", and exchange it for a lie.

Yes. God chose the nation of Israel corporately when He called and used Moses to bring them out of bondage from Israel. In Exodus 12, you see a picture of Christ in the lamb or goat without spot or blemish that was sacrificied, and it's blood applied to the top post, and two side posts. This atonement was for all of Israel, and not just some. In Leviticus 16, Aaron was to lay both of his hands upon the head of a live he goat(another picture of Christ, btw), and he was to confess the sins of all Israel, and then that goat was led into the wilderness by the hands of a fit man. Again, this was for all of Israel, and not just some. Then in Hebrews 3, the writer(I believe it to be Paul, imo), stated that they(OT Israelites) could not enter into rest, not for a lack of an atonement, but a lack of belief.

So, iow, Christ, when He died and was risen, and seated on the right hand of the Father, corporately elected/chose the gentiles, because of the Jews unbelief. In the OT, we were considered dogs, and only a few gentiles(Ruth and Rahab) were allowed to enter. Jesus broke down that wall with His works of the cross.

No, we don't elect ourselves. Without God first calling and drawing a man, we will not, or rather, can not come.