1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Children whom God hath given me

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother Revmwc,

I guess Christ failed in his mission then as we know the world (every human being as you interpret it) does not end up getting saved "through him" as He had purposed according to you?

His mission was specific, to save HIS people who are scattered throughout the entire world, and He did it. "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21)

Thus the difference between the savior I believe in and the one you believe in is that your savior must have failed in His mission. That savior that you preach is foreign to scripture.

Brother Joe

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No double payment the sin of all mankind was paid in full by Christ. There can be no payment by another for someone who rejects Christ. christ died for the sins of the world, the unbeliever rejects that payment and is therefore guilty of the sin of unbelief of which only they can pay the penalty for that sin and the penalty is the second death that is eternal separation from God in the Lake of fire.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Matthew 1:21

She shall be bringing forth yet Son and you shall be calling the name of Him Jesus He for shall be saving the People of Him from the misses of them.

Jesus came to save the People of Him, that is the Jewish people first, so Nation Israel must be saved and will be all them and then the gentiles all of them no, but Whosover will call upon Him will be saved, He provided the means of salvation for every human being but not all will accept that payment. Can God force them yes will He no just as He could have kept Adam and Eve from falling by not placing the tree of the Knowledge of good and Evil in the garden. But He had a purpose and a plan in the entire work of mankind that being salvation.

What was His purpose and plan in your opinion?

4. BrotherJoseph

Brother Revmwc,

If Christ didn't die for the sin of unbelief as you say I guess the apostles themselves are dammed as they committed this sin? Mark 16:14, "Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen." Also, how do you reconcile your doctrine that unbelief is the unpardonable sin with Paul's statement, "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." (2 Timothy 2:13)

Brother Joe

5. BrotherJoseph

Purpose and plan to save his elect people "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)

Was this mission accomplished? Scripture answers this, "And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day" (John 6:39) and "27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (John 10:27-28) He died for His sheep and redeemed them.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The Passover is the perfect example notice what He said, when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, "the Lord will pass over the door" the lamb's were slain and the blood applied to all who believed and accepted the blood. For those who refused to believe the blood was not applied it was shed but not applied. Could it have been applied to their doors? Yes, would the destroyer have passed over the house of any Egyptian that had the blood upon the lintel and two side post, of course He would have passed over them. Again the blood was there and the lamb slain but those who refused the blood perished.

Were there any non Jews that were passedover?

Exodus 12 gives an ordinance that adds those outside the Jewish people,
    43 "And the Lord said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof:
    44 But every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof.

Those who were set apart that is in our time anyone who receives Christ can receive the Passover. Anyone, any person who receives Christ can receive the benefit of the Passover Lamb, but the Lamb was offered for all.

Notice too how the passover lamb was to be shared in Exodus 12:4 "And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb."

Every man was to partake did they all partake who were Jews?

Exodus 12:48 "And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof."

Those who became separated by circumcision were able to partake of the Passover, not just Jews but gentiles.

We see some Gentiles actually were covered Exodus 12:38 "And a mixed multitude went up also with them; and flocks, and herds, even very much cattle."

Whomever received the blood that night went up with the Children of Israel and were covered with the Passover Blood. Jesus as the Lamb shed His Blood for all who will receive Him and for all who will not. The Lamb of the Passover was killed but that didn't help the people to be passed over, they had to accept the blood and allow it to be applied to their lives.

#46 revmwc, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Luke 19:9 "And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
    10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."

He came seeking the lost of which all mankind is. At some point I was lost but Jesus came seeking and I called upon the name of the Lord to receive Him as my savior.

Abram is the perfect example, God said in Genesis 12,

1 "Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
    2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
    3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
    4 So Abram departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran."

God said go and Abraham followed, could He have said no of course he could.

Jesus showed the perfect example of the call and it being followed or rejected in Matthew 21:

28 "But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
    29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
    30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not."

One said I will not but he repented after saying no to the Call He answered the call and followed the Father. The other said I will and yet he went not, He said I will follow instruction that is I will receive Christ but He never called upon Him.

Jesus showed exactly the fact that some will show an outward receiving of Christ and not really receive Him others may reject and then repent, then He ask what we see in verse 31 "Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you." The calling is there scripture says Call upon the name of the Lord and thou shalt be saved, many so I will but don't follow through others say I want and then they follow and call.

Jesus mission was fulfilled entirely and completely He paid for the Sins of the Lost. But they must accept His payment.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

First the 11 they did not at first believe it was Him, but did they later all believe it was Him raised from the dead, we all know they did. They had doubts we do too sometimes yet we had Faith and called upon the name of the Lord believing and were save.
    If we believed and called upon Christ at some point then can we deny Him? Many have or how about those who received Him and then turned to a false teacher, are they saved and yet deny that He is the only way? Yet He will not deny them if they truly received Him!

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    revmwc

:

Try this one rmac-

http://studybible.info/IGNT/Hebrews 2

or this one;
    http://studybible.info/ACVI/Hebrews 2

here is some more for you...the ones you do not look at;

Hebrews 2:11 For both He Who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren (NASB: Lockman)

Greek: o te gar hagiazon (PAPMSN) kai oi hagiazomenoi (PPPMPN) ex enos pantes; di' en aitian ouk epaischunetai (3SPAI) adelphous autous kalein, (PAN)
    Amplified: For both He Who sanctifies [making men holy] and those who are sanctified all have one [Father]. For this reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren; (Amplified Bible - Lockman)
    Barclay: For he who sanctifies and they who are sanctified must come of one stock. It is for this reason that he does not hesitate to call them brothers, (Westminster Press)
    NLT: So now Jesus and the ones he makes holy have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters. (NLT - Tyndale House)
    Phillips: For the one who makes men holy and the men who are made holy share a common humanity. So that he is not ashamed to call them his brothers, (Phillips: Touchstone)
    Wuest: For both He who sanctifies, and those who are sanctified, are all out of one source, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren. (Eerdmans)
    Young's Literal: for both he who is sanctifying and those sanctified [are] all of one, for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren

AND AGAIN BEHOLD I AND THE CHILDREN WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN ME: kai palin: idou ego kai ta paidia a moi edoken (3SAAI) o theos: (Behold - Isaiah 8:18; 53:10) (Whom - Genesis 33:5; 48:9; Psalms 127:3; John 10:29; 17:6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12; 1Corinthians 4:15)

The second of these OT quotes (remember in the NAS you can quickly identify an OT quote because they are in ALL CAPS in the NT) is from Isaiah 8:18, and this strongly suggests that the first quotation is from Isaiah 8:17, not Isaiah 12:2 or 2Samuel 22:3 (which is relevant because all three passages are identical in Septuagint - LXX).

Wuest remarks that "The context of the quotation from Isaiah concerns the prophet’s invective against trusting in any help but God’s during the Syro-Israelitish war under Ahaz. Isaiah declares his own trust in God, and that his children have been appointed as living symbols of the divine will. The meanings of the names of the prophet’s children are “a remnant shall return,” and “haste-spoil-hurry, prey.” These names will teach Israel that Assyria will spoil Damascus and Samaria, and that in the midst of a foreign invasion, God will still be with Judah. Both the prophet and the children are omens of the nation’s future. The children were babes at the time. Thus, the unity which existed between Isaiah and the children was that which exists between every father and his children. This unity the writer to the Hebrews uses as an illustration of the close unity between the Lord Jesus and believers, whom He calls brethren. (Hebrews - Wuest's word studies from the Greek New Testament)

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here is 16-17;

Hebrews 2:16 For assuredly He does not give help to angels, but He gives help to the descendant of Abraham. (NASB: Lockman)

Greek: ou gar depou aggelon epilambanetai, (3SPMI) alla spermatos Abraam epilambanetai. (3SPMI)
    Amplified: For, as we all know, He [Christ] did not take hold of angels the fallen angels, to give them a helping and delivering hand], but He did take hold of the fallen] descendants of Abraham [to reach out to them a helping and delivering hand]. (Amplified Bible - Lockman)
    Analyzed Literal: For surely He does not take hold of [fig., give aid to] angels, _but_ He takes hold of [fig., gives aid to] [the] seed of Abraham.
    Barclay: For I presume that it is not angels that helps; but it is the seed of Abraham that he helps. (Westminster Press)
    NLT: We all know that Jesus came to help the descendants of Abraham, not to help the angels (NLT - Tyndale House)
    Phillips: It is plain that for this purpose he did not become an angel; he became a man, in actual fact a descendant of Abraham. (Phillips: Touchstone)
    Wuest: For, as is well known, He does not take hold of angels for the purpose of helping them, but of the seed of Abraham He takes hold, with a view to succoring them. (Eerdmans)
    Young's Literal: for, doubtless, of messengers it doth not lay hold, but of seed of Abraham it layeth hold,

Give help (1949) (epilambanomai from epí = upon + lambáno = to take) means take hold of or grasp, with focus upon the goal of motion. To seize for help, injury, attainment or any other purpose. The idea is literally, to help by taking one by the hand or to draw one to one's self to help. The present tense implies continuous activity of Jesus our Mediatorial High Priest.

The old word "succor" would be a good rendering of epilambanomai for succor means specifically to give help or assistance especially in time of hardship, distress or difficulty. A archaic but still picturesque meaning of succor is reinforcements of troops (ponder this thought as it applies to this passage in Hebrews!) See notes on the related idea of "come to the aid of" in Hebrews 2:18 (and also Hebrews 4:16) on for more on this picture of our Great High Priest coming to our rescue in our time of testing and need.

While epilambanomai in this verse does not have the idea of violent grasping which it carries elsewhere, the ideas of help and deliverance are clearly conveyed. One gets the picture of a person drowning in quicksand, ready to go under, but able to hold their hand above the surface. The Deliverer grasps the hand of the one in need and lifts it up.

Wuest has a helpful note on the meaning writing that epilambanomai - By a metaphor drawn from laying hold of another to rescue him from peril, the word came to mean “to lay hold of for the purpose of helping or succoring.” It is used in this latter sense here. (Wuest, K. S. Wuest's Word Studies from the Greek New Testament: Eerdmans)

It is not angels that He is helping but it is the seed of Abraham that He is helping. As Spurgeon says "Angels were passed by and men redeemed. Wondrous sovereignty this!"

Jesus, who pass'd the angels by,
    Assumed our flesh to bleed and die;
    And still He makes it His abode;
    As man, He fills the throne of God.

Our next of Kin, our Brother now,
    Is He to Whom the angels bow;
    They join with us to praise His name,
    But we the nearest interest claim.

Spurgeon writes that...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, when He came from heaven to die, did not take upon Himself the nature of angels. It would have been a stoop, more immense than if a seraph should have changed himself into an emmet, for the Almighty Son of God to have been clothed in the garb of even the archangel Gabriel, but His condescension dictated to Him, that if He did stoop, He would descend to the very lowest degree; that if He did become a creature, He would become, not the noblest creature, but one of the most ignoble of rational beings, that is to say, man; therefore, He did not stoop to the intermediate step of angelship, but He stooped right down and became a man.

If Christ had taken upon himself the nature of angels, He could never have made an atonement for man. Setting aside the thought that if He came to save man it would have seemed improper if He had come in the garb of angels, you must allow, that if He had done so, he could not have seen death. How could angels die? We can suppose that their spirit may become extinct, if God should will it; we can suppose the entire annihilation of that to which God Alone supplies immortality; but since angels have no bodies, we cannot suppose them capable of death, for death is the separation of the body and the soul; therefore, it behooved Christ that He should take upon Himself the form of a man, that He might become obedient to death, even the death of the cross. Had angels been standing by, they would have said, “Oh! mighty Master, take our radiant robes. Oh! take not the poor every-day garb of humanity, take our glittering garments all bedight with pearls.” And Gabriel would have said, “Come, take my wings, thou mighty Maker, and I shall count myself too honored to have lost them for thy sake. There, take this crown and this mantle of azure, wherewith to clothe thyself, thou Son of God, put my silver sandals on thy feet; become not man, but an angel, if thou wilt stoop.” “But, no,” he would have said, “Gabriel, if I were in thy dress I could not fight with death, I could not sleep in the tomb, I could not feel the pangs and agony of dissolution, therefore, I must, I will, become a man.” “He took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.”

Had our Savior become an angel, we must note, in the next place, that he would never have been a fitting example for us. I cannot imitate an angelic example in all points, it may be very good, so far as I can imitate, but it cannot, in all points, be my pattern. If you would give me something to imitate, give me a man like myself; then I may attempt to follow him. An angel could not have set us the same holy and pious example that our Savior did. Had He descended from on high in the garb of one of those bright spirits, He might have been a fine example for those brilliant cherubs who surround his throne, but we, poor mortal men, condemned to drag the chain of mortality along this earthly existence, would have turned aside and said, “Ah! such a thing is too high for us, we cannot attain unto it;” and we, therefore, should have stopped short. If I am to carve marble, give me a marble statue which I am to copy, and if this mortal clay is to be cut out into the very model of perfection, as it is to be by God’s Spirit, then give me Man for my example, for a man I am, and as a man, I am to be made perfect. Not only could not Christ have been a Redeemer, but He could not have been our Exemplar, if He had taken upon Himself the nature of angels.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here is some more rmac...none of them say what you claim;
    BUT HE GIVES HELP TO THE DESCENDANT OF ABRAHAM: alla spermatos Abraam epilambanetai (3SPMI) : (Descendant: Ge 22:18 Mt 1:1-17 Ro 4:16-25 Ga 3:16,29)

But - introduces a striking contrast which should prompt the inquisitive reader to pause and ponder what the writer is contrasting, why, why now, how, etc (See 5W/H'S). Christ did not come to save fallen angels but to give help to men.

Gives help (1949) (epilambanomai from epi = upon, + lambano = to take) means to take hold of or grasp and is used with this literal sense (Lk 23:36) and in the figurative sense of taking into custody (Acts 21:33), to pounce on and catch (Lk 20:20), to take hold of something to make it one's own (1Ti 6:12), to be concerned about so as to give help (Heb 2:16). It is rendered variously in the NAs as catch(2), give help(1), gives help(1), seized(2), take hold(2), taking(1), taking hold(1), took(4), took hold(5).

Epilambanomai - 19x in 18v - Matt 14:31; Mark 8:23; Luke 9:47; 14:4; 20:20, 26; 23:26; Acts 9:27; 16:19; 17:19; 18:17; 21:30, 33; 23:19; 1 Tim 6:12, 19; Heb 2:16; 8:9

Descendant of Abraham - Some commentators interpret this referring to Jews but it could include Gentiles, specifically Gentile believers (See discussion below). In any event the point is that Jesus helps men not angels!

And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "ALL (Jew and Gentile) THE NATIONS SHALL BE BLESSED IN YOU." (Galatians 3:8)

Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, "And to your Seed," that is, Christ. (Galatians 3:16)

And if you (speaking to Jewish and Gentile believers) belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise. (Galatians 3:29)

Descendant (4690) (sperma) refers to seed sown as containing the germ of new fruit, but here is figurative referring to the posterity.

Believer's Study Bible writes that - Seed of Abraham usually refers to the physical descendants of Abraham, but the absence of the article in Greek before "seed" may emphasize the character of the people, thus the spiritual seed of Abraham: Gentiles and Jews (Gal. 3:29). The same expression in John 8:33, however, obviously means "Jews." (Ed note: Thus as always correct interpretation is critically dependent on the context of the word, phrase or verse being interpreted!) (Criswell, W A. Believer's Study Bible: New King James Version. 1991. Thomas Nelson)

Spurgeon - Christ’s great mission was not to save angels, but to save men. Therefore he came not in the nature of angels, but in the nature of men. Men and devils have both sinned and have both deserved to be damned for their sins. God, if He shall so resolve, can justly destroy them all, or He may save them all, if He can do it with justice. Or, He may save one of them if He pleases, and let the others perish. And if as He has done, He chooses to save a remnant, and that remnant shall be men, and if He allows all the fallen angels to sink to hell, all that we can answer is that God is just, and He has a right to do as He pleases with His creatures.

In support of this phrase descendant of Abraham as referring to believers, Jew or Gentile, we read in Galatians Paul that...

For you are all sons of God (Full adults and heirs because of adoption into God's family - see Eph 1:5-note) through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized (not water baptism but spiritual baptism into Christ, so that He is now our identity - this is which accomplished at conversion) into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female (in the divine economy, our position in Christ is completely independent of any such matters); for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's offspring (Greek = sperma = seed), heirs (sharers by lot) according to promise. (Galatians 3:26-29)

Comment: Christ is the Seed of Abraham as Paul explains in Galatians 3:16 and it follows that being in Christ, baptized into Him, identified with Him, one with Him in the New Covenant, makes the believer a descendant of Abraham and an heir of the promise of justification by faith. Note however that the national promises made to Abraham and through him to Isaac and Jacob [Israel] are not in view in this verse and await the time yet future when all Israel will be saved [see Ro 11:26-note]).

Those who are of the seed of Abraham are those who have Abraham's faith, In Genesis 15:6 note that the Hebrew word faith is "aman [word study]" which has the basic meaning of certainty or firmness (Think of the derivative word "amen" - so be it!) Aman conveys the idea of "leaning entirely" on God and this is manifest by trust in His immutable, inerrant word of promise. His promise to Abraham was that of the "seed", which as discussed ultimately reflected Abraham's belief in "the Seed", the Messiah (although we cannot now know how much of Messiah's work on the Cross Abraham understood). The point is that Abraham was looking forward to the Cross with eyes of faith, while believers today (his offspring) look back to the almighty, eternal cross. In regard to the Hebrew word "aman" not only does it convey the idea of certainty but as Genesis 22 shows Abraham's faith (aman) included the idea of obedience as he prepared to sacrifice Isaac, fully trusting in the fact that God would resurrect the promised son Isaac if necessary (Heb 11:17-19-notes)

In short, the spiritual (in contrast to those who are only physical) descendants of Abraham have believed God's promise, placed their whole weight upon His Word, just as Abraham did and as a result they have entered into the New Covenant, which is the NT amplification of the Abrahamic Covenant. Note also that the writer is not saying here that the church has replaced Israel or that Israel has forfeited the OT promises regarding the land of Israel - such aberrant teaching has led to many tragic errors in interpretation and application (eg, such an errant interpretation has been used for justification of the bloody massacre of many Jewish men, women and children in historical dramas such as "the Medieval Crusades", "the holocaust of Hitler", etc.) (See related study The Israel of God)

#51 Iconoclast, Jun 23, 2015
  12. BrotherJoseph

Brother Revmwc,

Did not all the people that the lambs blood was shed for not perish like the Egyptians? And so it is, with Christ's atonement. All that His blood was shed for will not perish. Also, what scripture tells you that there were those of the house of Israel "who refused the blood"? There were none. Exodus 12:28 says, "28 And the children of Israel went away, and did as the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron, so did they." Likewise, all the sheep Christ died for will come, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" (John 10:27) The fact that all the Jews obeyed the Passover command is very important to the type and shadow that all whom Christ died for will believe.

Also you seem to make a deal that one had to "accept" the blood. Did you know no place in scripture tells one to "accept Jesus"? Also, did you know the one place that being "accepted" is mentioned in the New Testament it is in regards to Christ having made us "accepted" through His sacrifice and is in the past tense? Here it is, "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1:6)

All the elect whom Christ died for will believe and have faith in Him, but that is not the cause of them becoming born again.

Yes, there were non Jews which is symbolic that their are Gentiles too who are his children. This does not prove that the lamb was slain for those not in the household, does it? Similarly, only those children in the household of faith is the blood of Christ the lamb shed for. Also, being circumcised was merely a sign not the cause of the house being spared, as is baptism a sign for all His elect believers, but not the cause of being justified, that is Christ's blood alone.

The lamb was not offered for all. The Egyptians symbolize the reprobate and scripture is clear none of them were spared. "30 And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead." (Exodus 12:30) This is because the blood was not applicable to the Egyptians, they could not claim it.

As far as "receiving Christ" as one's Passover, there is also no scripture in the whole Bible that teaches one can "receive Christ into their heart". He receives us, I am afraid you have it reversed. First one must be born of the Spirit, then they can and will believe, not the other way around.

God bless,

Brother Joe

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is not taught in scripture....this is your philosophy

Merriam Webster were not apostles so we will stick to the biblical usage of the term which you avoid at all costs.

14. BrotherJoseph

I agree he came to save the lost, did He do it in full or did he fail with some?

Jesus doesn't call all men to repentance, as it is written, " ...for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Matthew 9:13B). Those righteous he is not calling to repentance, it is those who are self righteous and do not believe they are sinners, like the Pharisee in Luke 18:11, " The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican". Why does one recognize they are sinners and in need of a savior? Because God has already given them a new heart.

Yes, let us look at Abraham's example. He was a child of God before he was justified by faith, wasn't he?

Was the prodigal not a son before he returned to his father, or did returning then make him a son?

Brother Joe

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course it is Con1....that is because you are not wearing a dispensational straight jacket:laugh::wavey::laugh:

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you cannot accept my clarification in post #37 then there is no much hope for you.
    What do you mean I don't have a choice.
    Why did God give Moses the Law, and for whom did he give it to?
    Were the instructions that He gave to Moses passed down to you to build a tabernacle? Is it in backyard? Have you finished building it yet? Why not?
    What about the Temple described in Ezekiel? When are you going to finish that one? If it is all written for I want to see some action from you!
    You have an unhealthy fear of dispensationalism. You see it everywhere. It is hiding in every corner, in the shadows, behind every bush, ready to come out of the shadows at any moment and attack you. You definitely have problems with dispensationalism--very unhealthy ones. You see, I never mentioned one word about dispensationalism and already you are suspicious, and even accusing of having my theology shaped by dispensationalism when I simply interpret the Bible literally as I should be, and as it meant to be.

And if you were witnessing to a Jew today you could you use all the books as well. But the Jews of the OT and those of today still use just the OT. That is significant. It was a book written "for them and their understanding."

I quoted to you Luke 24:27, as Jesus quoted passages from the OT to two Jewish believers. At that time it was a book written for the Jews. There was no NT.
    Then you should respect the facts that you just quoted from Paul.
    This is an admission by you that the OT was a book written to Israel by the prophets of Israel. Now we are getting somewhere.
    Just remember that in Rom.9:1-5 and in Rom.10:1-5 Paul continues to pray for the salvation of this entire nation, Israel, unto whom these oracles and covenants were committed. Israel still existed then, as it does now. The Church obviously did not replace it or did not become a continuation of it. It still exists today. Either that or Paul was a lunatic for praying for something that didn't exist.
    Israel exists. She is not simply a shadow. The church is separate from Israel.

1 Corinthians 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
    --Note, Paul delineates three groups of people in his day all existing side by side. The church did not replace or become a continuation of the Israel. That is plain error.

This was a prophecy of Jesus Christ, spoken of in the OT (Deuteronomy), that Stephen refers to. (It would be helpful if you would give the full reference from where you are quoting from.)

You are looking at a poor translation here, as you know very well there is no "church" in the wilderness.

There are more than a few translations including Young's that give a different translation:
    Acts 7:38 `This is he who was in the assembly in the wilderness, with the messenger who is speaking to him in the mount Sinai, and with our fathers who did receive the living oracles to give to us;
    --The word ekklesia always means assembly, and that is what they were.
    When they were in the wilderness did Israel ever Not assemble??

Stephen is giving the history of Israel. How does this help you any?
    It doesn't. Actually it defeats your cause. This is not a history of the church; but of Israel. You can find the same history in the OT, which Stephen is quoting from--the canon of the Jews.

18. beameup

beameup Member

Since you also referenced Psalm 22 in the OP, let's have a look at that as well, and see if "the children" are mentioned:

Ps 22:22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
    23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
    24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
    25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
    26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
    27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
    28 For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations.

Nope, no "children" mentioned. Looks like this is the fulfillment of the Lord's Prayer "thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth"
    Looks like the subject is "my brethren, the seed of Jacob, the seed of Israel". "Seed" is genetic, genetic Hebrews (Jews).

#58 beameup, Jun 23, 2015
  19. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait a minute there. If Christ paid for the debts of everyone and everyone does not end up in heaven, then that is a faulty atonement/payment. I hear people say all the time that Christ has done all He is going to do, now we have to do our part. That is, at best, semi-Peligianism, and at worst, full blown Peligianism. Christ has done the redemptive work upon the cross, and this work blotted out the sins of the sheep. Yes, God saves His sheep one at a time in time, but the redemption made upon the cross covers all the sheep, both pre- and post-cross believers.

That is why Christ never paid the sin debt the goats have. They will have God's wrath poured out on them just as God did Christ while He hung on the cross.

If the lost have their sin debt paid by Christ, there is no wrath to be poured out upon them; their sins have been paid for.

20. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have one question to ask you. What Laws are written upon our hearts now? If the gentiles were not given the Law, that reeks of antinomianism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.