1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Christian Slave Owner Contrasted With The Abolitionist

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Mark Osgatharp, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That happened. Not regularly, but it did happen. No question about that. It is called "slavery", never condemned in the Bible but certainly not something I would ever desire to be (either master or slave).

Why did the author Harriet Beecher Stowe write about such an evil slavemaster? Why would Frederick Douglass write about a woman who was whipped?

They wanted to arouse public opinion and foist a political agenda on America. Parallels to Mein Kampf by Hitler, Letters from a Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr., or Elsworths Pentagon Papers against Vietnam. They inflamed the public for their cause.

I wouldn't expect Douglass to say anything about the good, moral and decent slave holders, following the Bible, educating and sharing the Gospel with their slaves, that were so common in the South. That would be counter-productive to the revolution he was trying to start.

BTW, when that black republican Lincoln met with Stowe, he is reported to have said something like "So you're the little lady that started this whole war."

2. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

It was illegal to teach slaves how to read and write. The slave owners believed that once a slave knew how to read and write they would become unhappy and unmanageable. Nothing was more dangerous than a literate slave.

I really don't understand the mentality that slavery wasn't that bad because many slave owners were Christian, and since they were Christian they must have been kind, moral, and decent people.

So people became inflamed because they learned that slave holders whipped and killed slaves, sold the female slaves as breeders, and raped them for their pleasure? Imagine that.

3. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

I find these topics amazing - in the 21 century there are those who defend slavery......

...wow

4. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I guess the kind gental, moral "Christian" slaveholders didn't bother to read these Scriptures.
    I'm sure there were some "kind" slaveholders whatever that means. That is not the point. How many people suffered from the hands of slavery? How many millions died under the hand of slavery?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There ain't no such thing as a perfect world. Some of you live in some kind of romanticized idea of the past where everything in history should have been love, love, love [​IMG] - and that according to your 21st Century standards.

Well, I have news for you - there was this incident in the Garden of Eden called The Fall of Man. And we have been dealing with the repercussions ever since.

I am glad that slavery is no longer an issue in the U.S. Why don't ya'll that want to keep bashing the South over the slavery issue go to one of the nations in the world(like in Africa) that actually continue to have slavery and go tell them they need to stop?

But, yea, I know, it's a lot easier to sit in front of your computer and show your hatred for the South through your blather than to actually go where slavery is a modern problem and do something about it. Maybe ya'll can gather yourselves up another army and go invade them.

God save the South!

[​IMG]

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow yourself. I guess you don't think much of the apostle Paul either, do you, since he didn't raise an army to free the slaves in the Roman Empire, or demand, or even suggest, that Christian slave owners(not to mention the non-Christian ones) release their slaves.

7. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Wow yourself. I guess you don't think much of the apostle Paul either, do you, since he didn't raise an army to free the slaves in the Roman Empire, or demand, or even suggest, that Christian slave owners(not to mention the non-Christian ones) release their slaves. </font>[/QUOTE]So you believe that the slaves of the south should have been content with their brutal teatment; the beatings, destruction of their families, etc., and just have a smile on your face?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I notice none of you South-haters are willing to take on the New Testament or the apostle Paul on this issue. Ya'll just keep repeating the same old pablum.

9. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

South-haters? I have nothing against the South. As I stated in another thread, did Paul own slaves? If so, did he mistreat them? You seem to be equating Paul's lack of comdemnation of slavery as a tacit approval of slavery. This is flawed logic.

And by the way my favorite college football team is the Tenneesee Volunteers. Go Vols!!!! [​IMG]

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew I had a good reason to not like you. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. :D

And you are assuming that the apostle Paul's lack of telling Christian slave owners to free their slaves means that the apostle Paul condemned slavery.

Your logic is at an end. Try a different line of argument cuz you done lost this 'un.

GO HOGS GO!

11. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I knew I had a good reason to not like you. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. :D

And you are assuming that the apostle Paul's lack of telling Christian slave owners to free their slaves means that the apostle Paul condemned slavery.

Your logic is at an end. Try a different line of argument cuz you done lost this 'un.

GO HOGS GO!
    </font>[/QUOTE]I assumed nothing. If a 1st century slave wanted to escape his master, that would not be a sin.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I disagree. I suggest you read Paul's letter to Philemon.

13. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Oh, I disagree. I suggest you read Paul's letter to Philemon. </font>[/QUOTE]I have. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what makes America great!

[​IMG]

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess we know where everyone stands now. Unless someone is willing to take on the Bible verses (verse by verse) that have been given again and again in support of slavery, then I think this issue should warrant no more posts.

16. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

That's what makes America great!

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I totally agree! God Bless America. :D

17. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Dr. Bob Griffin,

Just for my information, is it your position that the Bible legitimizes and authorizes slavery?

18. mioque

mioque New Member

Mark&Bob are theologically completely correct ofcourse. In fact the vehement opposition to slavery seen in large segments of the Roman Catholic church in ages past can only be seen as them deviating from God's Word.
    Having said that, God may not care about slavery, but I do....

Trust me Bob, next time you see a person with a crate of tomatoes, a catapult and hair painted orange you better start running, because I'm quite sure I can hit that bowtie of yours at 40 paces :D

19. mioque

mioque New Member

Because [irritating] the moderator is no fun if he doesn't notice it.

[trust me, it is noticed]

[ September 01, 2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

20. Tanker

Tanker New Member

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Guess we know where everyone stands now. Unless someone is willing to take on the Bible verses (verse by verse) that have been given again and again in support of slavery, then I think this issue should warrant no more posts. &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

So it seems you believe that the bible supports slavery. Are we to assume that you support slavery also?