1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Christian Slave Owner Contrasted With The Abolitionist

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Mark Osgatharp, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Kent Witcher

Kent Witcher New Member

Then why did Onesimus run away?

And..

Why did Paul tell slaves to submit to froward masters, even unbelieving masters?

2. Kent Witcher

Kent Witcher New Member

The correct word is fRoward not forward.

I Peter 2:18

Servants, be suject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also so to the froward.

According to strongs the word used here is skolios which means warped, perverse, crooked.

Sheds a little light on the subject I believe.

3. Kent Witcher

Kent Witcher New Member

But God's word also tells us to obey our respective governments.

4. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Then why did Onesimus run away?

And..

Why did Paul tell slaves to submit to froward masters, even unbelieving masters?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I see you are in the habit of taking one scripture against the other. Have I not shared with you where Paul tells Masters to treat slaves in the same way of RESPECT, LOVE, SUBMISSIVENESS,etc?

Let read more of the situation with Onesimus:

Philem 1:15 Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good-- 16 no longer as a slave , but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

Did Onesimus runaway or was he sent away?

Did he have freedom to leave the service of Philemon?

"Good Relationship" that I spoke of does not mean that they alway got along, but the conditions of slavery were defined different then, than it is now.

These were not Christian Masters who slave traded or enslaved people against their will. Unless, they owed them a debt.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taz, you seem not to understand. Slavery existed in massive amount (19 out of 20 people in Rome were slaves). These were slaves NOT out of love but captured by Roman armies and sold to owners. Our modern sensibilities are appalled, but we cannot rewrite history.

And God gives clear instruction for how masters should treat slaves and for slaves to submit and treat their masters. Good christian masters and evil Simon Legree masters.

Can't change history or the Bible. Hope this helps.

6. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Sorry Bob, I've been out for a while.

I have a question,if you don't mind:

What defines slavery?

For example: If some one is bound hand and foot, not allowed to leave, kept against their will, made to work without pay and without any rights, could this person be a prisoner or a Slave?

May seem silly, but I'm just curious of your opinion.

7. Tanker

Tanker New Member

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Can't change history or the Bible. Hope this helps. &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

When a mechanic fixes my car, he does not consult the bible for advice, nor would anyone expect him to do that. In a similar way, let me submit that the bible is not able to deal with all questions of morality, including the subject of slavery. If a moral question is not answered by something in the bible, then we still have a responsibility to deal with it as best we can, substituting our own notion of morality as required.

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You have got to be kidding me? Right?

The Bible cannot deal with all questions of morality?

No wonder these discussions never get anywhere!!! [​IMG]

9. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I see a parallel here to the legality of abortion...

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't be satisfied with substituting my own notion of morality, nor do I agree that the Bible does not deal with the subject of slavery. Tanker, though I strongly disagree with you, I appreciate your explanation, because it helps to understand from where you're coming.

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I should say not. In some periods, there were so many slaves coming in from war that large landholders often remarked that it was cheaper to work them to death and buy new ones than to let them live.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know churches that do the same thing - use a person until they are burned out. Then let them drop by the wayside and grab new workers.

Seen ministers treated that way, too.

God will judge.

13. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

i agree with you bob