1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Christian's Calling

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

BB:

I thought there might be some confusion regarding the Christian's calling so I have started this thread to show from the Scriptures what it is. Having been in the charismatic movement in the past, much attention was spent on our "calling" and what was usually meant was our individual ministry. I think the same idea has spread to modern baptist churches. But what does the Scripture say in this regard?

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 1 Cor 1:26-27

In this Scripture our calling is God's calling of us to Himself. Notice also how our election and calling are spoken of together. Whom God has chosen He has also called. This calling has nothing to do with ministry. Since God's choosing of us happened before the world began, then our calling is the historical outworking of His election of us.

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Ephesians 1:18-19

Again, our calling here is speaking of our salvation, not our ministry.

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling Eph 4:4

Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: 2 Thess 1:11

What is "..this calling" ? It is God's calling of us by the Gospel into His Son Jesus Christ.

Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 2 Tim 1:9

Again, our calling is that which calls us to faith in Jesus Christ, NOT some individual ministry.

Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; Heb 3:1

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 2 Peter 1:10

Hallelujah! Brethren, we cannot biblically separate the Christian's calling and their election. Whomever God has elected He also calls. "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified." Romans 8:30

Notice brethren, predestination is before calling, not after. It was said in my other thread that election post-dates our calling. This is false, biblically speaking. Election and predestination pre-date our calling. God has chosen for Himself a people before the world began predestinating them according to His will and purpose to be conformed to the image of His Son. These whom He predestinated He also foreknew. Rom 8:29 It is not what He foreknew, but WHOM He foreknew.

Nor is God's foreknowledge mere knowledge of the future. Foreknowledge presupposes God's decree, or secret counsel. This is also in the Scriptures:

In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: Eph 1:11

Those of us who are true Christians have obtained an inheritance. We have obtained an inheritance because we were predestined according to God's purpose, who works ALL THINGS after the counsel of HIS OWN WILL.

Brethren, it is time we stop arguing these doctrines. Look at the Scriptures. Let them speak to you. Approach them with fear and trembling because the Scriptures are the very speaking of God. Employ your mind and sound reason. Can you not see what they most plainly say? Do not be like an elder I knew who when I shared such Scripture with him replied, "Well, that can be explained away!" Brethren, let's not explain away the Scriptures. Let's humbly accept them and recieve as they are in truth: The Word of God.

Personally, I still look at these Scriptures with fear and trembling. I understand what they are teaching. It is high and holy doctrine to me. But these are the doctrines of our salvation. Are you a true Christian? Then know by the Word of the Lord that He Himself according to His good pleasure, grace, mercy, and kindness chose you before the world began. He chose you NOT because He foresaw that you would believe. He chose you because it seemed good to Him to do so. He unconditionally elected you and fore-loved you out of His own counsel and purpose. And in space and time He brought you into this world, appointing your habitation and circumstances, parents or lack thereof, schools, and all things to happen to you working them together after the counsel of His own will.

In time He softened you to the Gospel, called you to Himself, made His goodness known to you, which was yours before the world began, leading you to repentance. You He quickend by His Spirit through the Gospel and having believed in Him you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. He washed you, sanctifies you, and will glorify you with Himself.

There is nothing that you have both in your spiritual life and natural life that you have not recieved. Let's glorify God alone for His indescribable mercy and salvation toward us.

Soli Deo Gloria!
    RB