1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Church fathers

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Doubting Thomas, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I haven't read any heresy in his writings either (And I hope that none of my "writings" would be considered heretical by him)

You're absolutely right. Those fathers who did write on baptism believed it was for regeneration and the remission of sins. Yet the silence is deafening from those out there who would accuse them of being "false prophets" because of this.

Good advice.

It is very good reading.
    Well I'd disagree here a little bit. Although he uses the terms "bishops" and "presbyters" interchangeably (as is the case in the NT), in chapter 40 (v.5) he may be indicating that there was a presiding bishop (or elder) from among the group. This is especially true when he seems to be discussing the NT equivalents for "high priest" (?presiding bishop/elder), "priests"(other bishops/elders), "levites"(deacons), and the laity. When one compares this three-fold distinction with Ignatius--who wrote within 10-20 years of Clement but at Asia Minor--this seems to be evident that such a distinction was common though the terms were still used interchangeably in Rome (and other places). Ignatius was the first (that we know of) to use the term "bishop" exclusively for the presiding overseer, and "presbyters" for the others though it's possible by his time that such usage was already common in Asia Minor.
    (Also it's interesting to note that when Irenaeus lists the succession of Roman presbyters, he lists the succession through one individual at a time all the way back to Linus)

2. Doubting Thomas

I agree. I don't think it's the actual church fathers who were the "wolves" referred to by Paul (Acts 20:29); rather it's the various heretics the fathers wrote against. I'm still waiting for someone to try prove otherwise. :cool:

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

The writings of the "fathers" are wide open to interpretation just as everything else translated from one language to another. Read some of their commentary on John chapter 6 and you will see that Protestants will interpret their writings different from a Roman Catholic. A father who agrees with key points of RC theology will be considered a Church father while others (like Tertullian for example, who didnt like infant baptism) are just "ecclesiastical writers".

BTW, there isnt one father who anyone will agree with on every point. They are fallible

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real value of the fathers writings are their Scripture quotations as witnesses to the original text of Christ and the apostles.

This has its difficulties because it would appear that they made mistakes quoting from memory.

HankD

5. Doubting Thomas

Actually, all of the Fathers who wrote on the Eucharist believed in the Real Presence. All of them. Of course, Prostestants will try to selectively interpret them to suggest otherwise. Having been a life long Protestant who had believed in a Zwinglian (symbolic-only) interpretation of the Lord's Supper (and baptism, for that matter), I used to take Protestant apologists' word for it that some of the Fathers taught the Eucharist was only a symbol. Reading the fathers themselves revealed a different story. I mean, I could quote some if you like, but I have a feeling it would be falling on deaf ears.

Tertullian is not considered a Church father (at least by the end of his life), not because he wasn't a fan of infant baptism, but because he fell into the Montanist heresy. (BTW--Tertullian still believed in baptismal regeneration; he just believed there was limited opportunity for forgiveness of sins committed after baptism, which is why he was in favor of "putting it off")

I don't think any here said they were infallible. In fact, I said otherwise in one of my posts above. Like it or not, however, they agree with each other much more than they disagree, especially on topics Baptists may find objectionable--real presence in the Eucharist; baptismal regeneration; and the real possibility of a true believer losing his salvation. That's a sobering fact (at least it is to me as a lifelong Baptist) considering their proximity to the apostles and their defense of the Deity and humanity of Christ against the early heretics.

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Then you should be a Roman Catholic. Not a Baptist. If the fathers agree mostly with the RC church then why are you not a Catholic? Are you a Baptist against your true convictions?

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Considering their "close proximity" to the apostles and the fact that they agree with each other most of the time and they all claim "real presence" in the euchrist, then are you and I fools for remaining Baptist Bible believers?

8. Saveferris

Saveferris Guest

A really great book on the subject is:

Four Witnesses
    The Early Church in Her own Words
    Clement of Rome
    Ignatius of Antioch
    Justin Martyr
    Irenaeus of Lyons

Edited by Rod Bennett

The Church Fathers don't 'agree' with the Catholic Church, in their day, they were members of the Church.

9. Logan

Logan New Member

I agree...I am just about finished with this book. I have learned much about the Early Church and inspired by their faith.

10. Link

Link New Member

These verses in Acts 20 talks about two problems:

29. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
    30. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

One is the wolves coming in among the flock. The other is men 'of your own selves.' Even elders can mislead the flock. This may be one of the few verses about 'sheep stealing' in the Bible. Elders of the church don't steal sheep from each other, because all the sheep belong to Christ. They steal sheep if they steal sheep away from Christ, causing them to follow themselves in the wrong direction.

11. Doubting Thomas

I'm a Baptist in name only at this point. I've been visiting other churches.

But yes, as Cardinal Newman said once: "To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant. (Of course, whether or not that automatically makes one a Roman Catholic is debatable)

12. Doubting Thomas

Very good point. [​IMG]

13. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Moderators should make note of this comment. Can this poster post in Baptist only forums being baptist in name only? [​IMG]

14. Doubting Thomas

Moderators should make note of this comment. Can this poster post in Baptist only forums being baptist in name only? [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I've lately been confining my comments to the "Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians)". I'm sure the watchdogs, however, appreciate you concern. :D

15. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, Athanasius was just as much influenced by Origen. What Arianism and the later Nicene "orthodoxy" had in common was the emphasis on the separate "hypostases". The debate between them then was whether the 2nd and 3rd were eternal or created.
    But earlier fathers did not express the Godhead quite this way. Even right before the Nicene Council, the Bishop of Rome himself, Dionysius, "was clearly shocked at the Origen-inspired doctrine of the three hypostases", as suggested by Dionysius of Alexandria, "which seemed to him to undermine the divine monarchy", and he implied they were "virtual tritheists, splitting the indivisible oneness of the Deity into 'three powers, three absolutely separate hypostases, three divinities'" (Kelley, Early Christian Doctrines, p. 134).

It also seems that there was a great change in the church between the apostles and the earliest fathers. This has been called "the lost century".

Jesse Lyman Hurlbut The Story of the Christian Church p.41
    William J. McGothlin The Course Of Christian History

Samuel G. Green A Handbook of Christian History:

William Fitzgerald Lectures on Ecclesiastical History:

Philip Schaff History of the Christian Church
    This has always been of interest, but recently, it came to light again as I debated the preterists, who say that the Kingdom began in AD70; a teaching we do not really see immediately afteward; as the early fathers continued to wait for a return of Christ. The destruction of Jerusalem, I have learned has a lot more significance than we have realized. This probably does figure into what happened to the writings, doctrine and practice of the Church. It was after this that the Church began its ascent to the later "Catholicism", with bishops becoming exalted, and baptism and communion taking on mystical significance.

So while we can look to the fathers to get an idea of what the original teaching was, still, we must realize that even by their time, a lot had already changed. Actually; we have the original teachings in the New Testament; but it all boils down to the correct interpretation of them.

16. Saveferris

Saveferris Guest

It boils down to more than that, because it is tradition that gives us the New Testament in the first place. Men of God penned the New Testament and men of God decided on the canon of the New Testament. So it begs the question, is the New Testament canon infallible?

17. manchester

manchester New Member

The early Church evolved directly into what is now called the Orthodox Church. Was the RCC expelled from the Church in 1054 for teaching heresy?

18. Doubting Thomas

That's somewhat simplistic, but some might put it that way.

19. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

For every one Protestant that leaves their church (an example would be Cardinal Newman) hundreds upon hundreds of former Catholics fill Baptist Churches. Are they just ignorant?

20. Doubting Thomas

Perhaps. :cool: