1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The church - Is it a person or a thing?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by qwerty, Mar 5, 2002.

1. qwerty

qwerty New Member

How do pastors view the church, their congregation?

Is it a thing to be managed?

Or is it a person? A Bride? Do you treat your people like a Bride that will be married to the Lord Jesus? Are you preparing them to be with Jesus? Is the pastor the focus, or is Jesus the focus?

The scriptures seem to make it clear that the church is a person, and the person that Jesus is coming back for is a beautiful Bride.

As I look at the church today, it doesn't have many female qualities, probably because it is male dominated. The picture I see is this; if the church is a female, then she reminds me of the bearded lady at the circus. Very masculine looking.

I don't know today what is going to transpire in the coming days, so that what the church looks like today changes into the beautiful Bride that Jesus is returning for. There will come a day when "the Spirit and the Bride" will say "Come, Lord Jesus".

So, how do you as a pastor view your people; a thing, a person? And what are you doing to prepare this thing or person to be with Jesus? Are your people in love with Jesus, as a Bride would be? Do they feel the romance of being in love? Do they view Jesus as their Bridegroom?

Hopefully, when you stand before the Lord Jesus, you will be able to say that you did what He wanted to prepare the Bride for Him.

If you do feel that you are preparing your people (Bride) to be with Jesus, the Bridegroom, then what specifically are you doing? I would like to know, because I don't see it happening in my region. Many preach to their people like the people are their own. Jesus, the Bridegroom, is not presented too well. A lot of Bible verses are taught, but the Bride in my area is not too interested in Jesus the Bridegroom. The Bride in my area is not looking like a "head over heels" in love with Jesus Bride. I guess some wouldn't like that kind of emotionalism in the Bride. I'll stop. I am looking forward to the day when the bearded lady from the circus is transformed into the beautiful Bride that Jesus is returning for.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always try to differentiate between an organization and an organism.

The church is OFTEN associated and run like the first. It should be loved and cared for for the unique living it truly is.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think you have characterized it in an unfortunate way. This is not an either/or situation. It is both a living organism and an organization. It must be managed. As Paul said, if one does not manage his own house, how shall he manage the household of God? In 1 Thess 5 he talks of those who rule over the church. There is clearly an issue of organizational management. It however, must not preclude the loving and caring of individuals. After all, if there are no individuals, then there is no managing to be done.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good pick-up, Larry. It certainly IS an organization, too.

Problems come with the extreme of folks who treat the church ONLY as an organization. That's what I was trying to say and appreciate your insight, bro!