1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Church of the Fundamentalists

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Squire Robertsson, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lately, there have been a few of threads dealing the nature of Fundamentalism. I am currently working my way through The Church of the Fundamentalists by Dr. (yes that's an earned doctorate) Larry Oats of Maranatha
    Baptist University. The link above is directly to MBU. The book is also available through Amazon.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book deals with the Ecclesiology of Fundamentalism.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks like this deals with the ecclesiology in the broader context of Fundamentalism, and isn't just about Fundamental Baptists. Is that right?

Thanks.

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as Dr. Oats deals with Carl MacIntire, Machen and others. The book traces two strands of ecclesiology:
    1. the need for visible unity of the church
    2. the need for purity of the church
    He goes back to the early church fathers and works his way up to today. Working my way through the last chapter before the conclusion.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious how they define and measure Purity. What metrics is used and how do quantify purity.

Lastly, how do you emphasize a physical presence when there is no local presence? And are there default churches if the Fundi brand is nowhere to be found.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF, I suggest you read the book. It's not that expensive. Or get it through an interlibrary loan. It's also available in Kindle format.

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Read the introduction by Dr. Oates. The first champion referenced is Roger Williams. There is a lot of evidence that Roger Williams was never a Real Baptist. See "Was Roger Williams a Baptist?" by M. R. Ellis, 1928.

One account of Baptist history in the Colonies in the 17th century has The First Baptist Church in America being founded by Roger Williams. There is a lot of evidence to the contrary. A lot of folk seem to want to make Puritans and Baptists in the same camp. That just is not so.

This is a pivotal point in the real history of Real Baptists.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As regards the book itself, if Oats is following fundamentalists as opposed to just Baptists, there would be no particular concern whether Williams was a Baptist as long as he was fundamentalist.

The Williams as a Baptist question is an interesting one, though. From what I've read I'd say he only experimented with being Baptist for a brief period before becoming a Seeker. It's interesting how much he is historically connected to Baptists in the minds of most people compared to how little time he might have been a Baptist. W. H. Whitsitt, who was by no means a promoter of Baptist continuity or perpetuity, thought that the Baptist Church in Providence then existing was not even the same one that Williams was briefly part of. Josh Davenport wrote an interesting book a few years back on primacy of the Newport Church over the Providence Church.
    Baptist History Vindicated, a Book Review

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Williams is cited as an example of a proponent of a "pure" church.

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contrary to what I wrote above, I notice at Reformed Reader, the man who baptized me and a careful historian, concluded that "In spite of an abundance of historical acumen alleging that Roger Williams was the first Baptist pastor in America, he was not a Baptist at all!"
    Was Roger Williams Really a Baptist?

That is an interesting topic which I have enjoyed considering in the past and the present. But if Oats is citing Roger Williams as a proponent of the "pure church" that is certainly relevant to his book -- but Williams certainly was that. Sadly, it appears that Williams was never satisfied that he found one.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will be on campus at Maranatha Baptist University and their growing Seminary program at the end of April. I will try to "pick the brain" of Dr Oats on how people are responding to his book.

My great grandfather was William Rogers, missionary to the west (Iowa) from Wales. Sadly not Roger Williams!! :)

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finished the book a week or two ago. I found it to be descriptive (describing the state of the matter and how it came about) rather than prescriptive (prescribing the proper state of the matter).

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, has anybody read the book?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    then you are part of the tribe....congratulations.