1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Commandments In Order To Receive the Promise of the Holy Ghost

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Enow, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Enow

Enow New Member

John 14: 15If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

What commandments is the Lord talking about here? It cannot be everything He had taught, otherwise we would never receive the Holy Ghost because we need Him in us so we can live the christian life. So what commandments is the Lord talking about here that comes with the promise of the Holy Ghost?

We read up from verse 15 and find the Lord talking about prayer.

John 14: 13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

When praying, we are to ask in Jesus' name. Is that one of those commandments? Or is it a clue to the kind of commandments Jesus is referring to?

We read on up from verse 13 where Jesus is referring to His relationship with the Father.

John 14: 7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. 8Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father? 10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. 12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Can we preceive the commandments that Jesus is talking about in those verses in order to receive the promise of the Holy Spirit? How is the concept of prayer in His name ties into this testimony of the relationship with God the Father with Jesus? Is it that we are to relate to God the Father through the Son only by the singular use of His name in prayer?

If we read up one more verse, we will see the kind of commandments that Jesus is talking about in order to receive the promise of the Holy Spirit.

John 14: 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The commandments that Jesus is talking about in receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit are His singular invitations to come to the Father through the Son only.

Matthew 11: 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

John 6:35And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

John 5:39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Jesus is giving out the invitations and it is by the Son that we have access to the Father and thereby by the Son, we have received the promise of the Spirit as it is by the Son that we have received the promise of eternal life.

Ephesians 1: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

How important is this commandment in relating to God the Father through the Son?

1 Timothy 2: 5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

John 10: 1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. 11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Jesus.. the Son of God.. is the Good Shepherd. All invitations points to the Son to have that relationship with God.

There are no invitations to come to or go after the Holy Spirit for it is by the Son we have received the promise by faith.

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.... 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.....26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

That is why when the Gospel is being preached, it is all about :jesus:

God has taken care of everything else in having made us His. Do we live as His and be witnesses of the Good News or ....not? :jesus:

To be continued... God be willing....:type:

2. Enow

Enow New Member

Either we live by faith in the Son and all His promises to us or they that do not, shall become an adulterous generation in seeking after a sign by offering invitations to receive another spirit, calling that spirit, the Holy Spirit, when that spirit is not. It is a direct breaking of His commandments in not heeding His invitations in how we are to relate to God the Father as standing apart from the rudiment in the world as they also have invitations to relate to "spirits" in its comings and goings. Notice again the difference in how the world receives these spirits and the believer having received the Holy Spirit.

John 14:15If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

2 Corinthians 13: 5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

As we relate to God through the Son in getting to know Bridegroom through the Word, may we remind others of that singular kind of commandments to maintain that relationship with God through the Son. To climb up any other way is a work of iniquity.

Matthew 7: 13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Doesn't matter how "successful" or "popular" it is in its movement, if it glorifies and serves something else in His name, then it glorifies not the Lord Jesus Christ. Those that serve these movement of the "Spirit" should remember that the Spirit dwells in us to not speak of himself but to lead us to testify of the Son so as to glorify the Son so any movement that glorifies the Holy Spirit in that "spirit's" comings and goings.. is not of the Lord as in that is not the Holy Spirit for He was not sent to dwell in us to do that but to glorify Jesus Christ as we that are led by the Spirit of God would do the same.

John 16:13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. :jesus:

John 15: 26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

1 Corinthians 2: 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. :jesus:

Philippians 2:9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So let us heed His sayings and obey that commandments in how to relate to God the Father through the Son as those that have broadened the way by putting the Holy Spirit in the spotlight, narrow the way back to the Son when coming to God the Father in the worship place ....or else.

Matthew 7: 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it. :tonofbricks:

Luke 13: 24Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. :jesus: