1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "common Good"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by On the Edge, Oct 17, 2006.

1. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/16/AR2006101600646.html

It seems Democrats have adopted a new theme "Common Good" As the article states, the Republicans have used it also. Seems to be from a page right out of the Communist Manifesto.

Here's a quote: "But liberals say that Republican policies promote a "radical individualism" _ advocating individual retirement accounts above Social Security, health savings accounts over affordable insurance, and tax cuts that Democrats say benefit only the rich."

God forbid people have to take responsibility for themselves. Oh well. What do you think about the "common Good"?

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

If "the common good" comes from Washington, D.C. through the Demon-cratic party, I'm opposed to it.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

The common good isn't a product of any kind of politics.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The phrase sure smells like Marx.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Actually, the idea is embodied in the preamble to the Consitution of the United States . . .
    Seems to me like general welfare and common good are synonymous terms.

The world is not bipolar, there are middle grounds. I don't believe in a total welfare state, but I also don' t believe in the extreme of "every man for himself". There is a need for providing common services. Roads for example. Also, there are members of society who, through no fault of their own, cannot fend for themselves. Should they be left to wither and die? I believe those who benefit inordinately from being part of a society, owe something back to the less fortunate of that society which made their great success possible. There are also things that can only be done efficiently (if at all) through a cooperative arrangement with others. Can we all practice medicine on ourselves? Can we manufacture our own cars?