1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Iran and the Bomb

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Jun 30, 2013.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not just the bankers who own laundromats and the businessmen who want cheap labor and the criminals and terrorists who want free movement of contraband, it is also the Democrats who refuse to enforce any law that they do not like.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

True enough but what bothers me even more than that is how they go about enforcing the laws they do like just to protect their own political rear ends. I guess that's what they call progress.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Where'd you get this pap? The Democratic National Committee? Such would be the expected source of such garbage.

Iran not a threat to US and world security? Really? Then I suppose neither is the Taliban, al-Qaeda or other terrorist organizations? This is the most ridiculous conclusion I've ever read outside of ignorant liberal propaganda sheets. Even the likes of CNN, one of the most liberal mouthorgans of the Democratic Party cause, see s the real danger behind Iran's nuclear program and support of international terrorism.

And I won't even dignify the statement regarding what a "great waste" the war on terror allegedly has been. The utter failure of terrorists to mount a successful attack on US soil since 9/11 is all the proof needed to negate that statement.

Sheer folly. That's the nature of this thread's OP.

4. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

I agree with ya because Iran funds most of those groups. But man, poncho is a conspiracy guy. I dunno but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a "truther". But I do know that he's a Ron Paul supporter...a hard core socially-left leaning Libertarian. You'll never get him to agree that Iran is a threat. There's one in another group i belong to and one thing I have learned, you cant talk to those guys. Some Libertarians you can find common ground and reason with. Not Poncho.

#44 Dennis324, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
  5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poncho just agreed that the Democrats are not enforcing the border security. He is a libertarian who wants to withdraw to fortress America and a static defense--right, Poncho? I myself think that Iran is a threat and I think that the situation with South America and the Chavez power grab in the badly misnamed Bolivarian Revolution (Simon Bolivar was one of the greatest general is military history and the Liberator of most of South America) has made an opening for Iran in the Americas. Chavez extended his alliance to Cuba (which has 50,000 people in Venezuela), Ecuador, Bolivia, and Nicaragua. Guatemala is a failed state now at the mercy of drug cartels and a wide-open no-man's land. However, my source for this is Luis Fleischman and his recent book Latin America in the Post-Chávez Era but I found out from others on this thread that Fleischman is a neo-con. However, I believe the reports about the bloodbath in Venezuela are true. Here is Fleischman's speech on Book TV if you are interested. A lady in the audience at the end says that even the telephone conversations of ordinary people are recorded by the government in Venezuela. People are arrested and murdered by the police or put in prisons to be murdered by the convicts. Everyone there knows someone who disappeared.

http://www.booktv.org/Watch/14715/Latin+America+in+the+PostCh%c3%a1vez+Era+The+Security+Threat+to+the+United+States.aspx

6. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Yep, that's a good point. I've been worried about Iranian influence and possibly Al -Qaida influence in S. America too. Recently in the Washington Times, John Kerry downplayed the situation and claimed that Iran's influence in the region was waning. I dunno. Of course in 2011 the Justice Dept claimed that Iran tried to hire a Mexican drug cartel to assassinate a Saudi diplomat in the US. And the State Dept has admitted there are a lot of Iranian agents in S. America (but they are downplaying all that). :rolleyes:

On 10 July 2013, CBN reports that :

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2013/July/Experts-Warn-Iran-Still-Active-in-Latin-America-/

In '06 Venezuela threatened to sell US built F-16s to Iran. They have a very friendly relationship with Iran. I don't know if they ever did though. But if the 2 nations are so cozy and are trading military tech, well, I'd hate for Iran to land agents in Venezuela and see them cross our porous border with dirty bombs. Look out New Orleans and Houston.

And then there's Cuba, who have maintained friendly relations with Iran. Fair enough, but when Castro spoke admiringly of Iran "increasing its ability to fight big powers by the day." That's bothersome.

So I don't know. I cant believe however that Iran would have all those agents in S. America...right in our backyard, and not be a threat to us. I mean, some can bury their head :sleeping_2: in the sand, but not me.

#46 Dennis324, Jul 13, 2013
  7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Let's see according to George Bush the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms. So what did we do to defend them? We gave them all up.

Guess we showed them didn't we? Stupid terrorists.

#47 poncho, Jul 13, 2013
  8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Dennis. I don't believe Kerry. Luis Fleischman says that Iran is hedging their bet in Cuba because if Raul Castro dies and there is reform and freedom then they can fall back on Venezuela, which is secure for the time being. Fleischman says that he thinks the Bolivarian Revolution can implode. The repression is so terrible.

He also mentions the attempted assignation of the Saudi ambassador. Israel maintains friendship with the Arabs behind the scenes by sharing intelligence with them on such matters as this. Our President is weak on foreign affairs and that makes the tragedy in Latin America worse. If our influence is weak, Fleischman says that we should ask Brazil for more help.

FARC, a communist army mostly in Colombia, still is around. FARC clearly gets sanctuary in Venezuela and Ecuador. We know this from the news reports of the Colombian Army operations against the FARC.

One thing that Obama did correctly is to interfere with the flight of thug Evo Morales President of Bolivia, a Chavista. Another thing that Obama did correctly is to refuse to bow to the Muslim Brotherhood and call the ouster of Morsi a coup--it was the replacement of a President operating illegally. Now he needs to consider Iran a worldwide threat and he needs to stand for freedom Latin America and move to counteract the terrorist inroads of Iran and China in the Americas.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Not exactly CMG but evidently that's how most of the establishment friendly republicans and democrats like to portray people that don't believe in endless unconstitutional military adventurism and meddling in the affairs of other nations.

I think of myself as more of a constitutionalist paleo conservative republican. But whatever label you prefer to stick on me to reinforce your own beliefs and argument is okay to I reckon. What ever works to keep your boat afloat. Right?

Silly me. I just don't seem to be able to comprehend how more meddling in the affairs of other nations is going to solve the problems our past meddling in the affairs of other nations has caused. But as I have learned from my years here arguing with the establishment faithful on both sides reason and genuine debate has been replaced with corporate funded "expert opinions" and often repeated establishment party talking points. If all else fails paste on a big toothy smile call your opponent's character into question and label any views other than your own "extreme". It's a good enough technique to get both George Bush and Barrack Obama elected then re elected so why mess with it?

So far this avenue of thought has worked out just dandy. Just one look at how well our own country's affairs have been run by the corporatist establishment republicans and democrats gives me great hope that they'll only do what's right and proper in conducting our policies towards other nations from this point forward into the future. Imho we should just stick to the same strategy that has proven to be so effective in the past. Stick to our partisan guns and blame the other political party while demonizing every government that doesn't become immediately subservient to Washington and it's demands no matter how outrageous or nonsensical. Why tinker around with a game plan that has been working so well for so long?

Let us just keep putting one foot in front of the other trudging down the same path we've been going for the last 80 years, eventually everything will turn out just peachy.

Can I get an Amen? :)

#49 poncho, Jul 13, 2013
  10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Kind of strange then how the nuclear watch dogs, our own intell agencies and even the Israeli Mossad disagree with your assesments. What's up with that I wonder? Must be they didn't get your memo eh?

Then again mabye they don't rely on the corporate media for all their information either? Hmmm.

BTW, if you actually read the whole article including all the articles and documents which are linked to the main article you might notice that the auther is not claiming Iran is not a threat. What he is actually saying is Iran is not the threat the neocons in both parties and the corporatized media is making it out to be.

I just love how you guys jump to conclusions and get your horses in an uproar before you even know what is actually being said.

If you consider empowering our enemies and giving them funding and arms a victory for our side the yes the "war on terror" has been a huge success. So successful has the FBI been in keeping us safe from the terrorist hoards that it has had to resort to recruiting willing Muslims with very low IQs and do all the planning and securing weapons for them just so they could turn around and bust them to show what a great jod it's been doing to keep us all safe.

I believe it was the NY times that did a front page story on it. But then I imagine you only read publications that reinforce your preconceived notions. Am I right?

#50 poncho, Jul 13, 2013
  11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poncho, all these years...."constitutionalist paleo conservative republican"! I stand corrected and send greetings to my fellow Republican.

Have we convinced you yet that Iran is a threat?

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Probably surprise you to know after all these years that I actually voted for G. W. Bush the first time. Yeah, imagine that. I voted for him because he ran on a non interventionist and non nation building anti UN platform. Boy howdy was I ever disappointed to find out what a warmongering liar he really was and if that wasn't bad enough he talked real tough against the UN in front of the cameras while sending his wife to England to get us back under the thumb of UNESCO. Yessir I was neoconned just like every other limited government conservative republican that voted for him in those days. But you know as bad as all that bothered me the thing that bothered me even more was how fast most of you other limited government conservative republicans changed stripes and accepted everything we were all against just one administration earlier.

I stayed the same. You all changed. Or you all went to sleep because a "republican" was in office and "republicans" controlled congress.

As time went on and you all accepted pre emptive strikes, torture, warrant-less searches, endless warfare, nation building, deficit spending, a "unitary presidency" and a general dislike for due process the rule of law and our founding principles it became obvious to me that the republicans had become the democrats so it's little wonder to me now that you would all mistake me for a libertarian today. I didn't move further to right CMG you all moved further to the left and became more authoritarian. More like the democrats.

You guys that call yourselves republicans today are just yesterday's democrats and authoritarians or what I call demopublicans. You sold your republican heritage because of fear and you're all still afraid of everything the corporations tell you to be afraid of through the "think tanks" they own and the mass hysteria media they control.

As far as Iran goes it probably is a threat but not so much to the people of the USA as it is to the corrupt lawless foreign corporate regime in Washington that pretends to be our government that creates and runs terrorist groups like Al Qaeda and the Taliban while condemning, sanctioning and threatening to destroy other nations for doing the same thing.

Iran is not nearly as big a threat to our national security as the lawless hypocrites in Washington that use fear to whip us into servile subjects and government dependents instead of free and independent citizens. The terror sponsoring regime in Iran is thousands of miles away with little to no chance of destroying us while the terrorist regime in Washington is already inside our borders and working everyday to destroy us from within while empowering and strengthening our enemies abroad so they can destroy what's left of us after the regime in Washington takes us down morally and economically. We should all be more concerned about the enemy globalist regime already inside the gates than a militarily weak Iran thousands of miles away. Russia and China know we're in the Middle East and North Africa to limit their resources that's what the "war on terror" is all about if it was about fighting terrorism why are we supporting Al Qaeda the Muslim Brotherhood the FSA, Al Nusra and the MEK? Because Obama is a Muslim? What a sad commentary that you demopublicans would buy such an obvious conspiracy theory like that while denying that we've been taken over by a criminal corporate globalist regime. Obama isn't a Muslim he's an atheist without a soul! He sold that long ago to gain power. The evidence that our government has been co opted by the global corporate elite like the republican party was co opted by the neocons is manifest but you all refuse to believe it because the corporation's talking heads laugh and roll their eyes whenever anyone even speaks about it. No it isn't so they say that's crazy don't listen to the voices that warn you that tyranny has taken over. This is America the exceptional country it can't happen here. Ha ha ha ho ho ho!

Republicans? Yeah right. The republicans I knew had spines and weren't afraid of every shadow of a threat that crossed their path. They stood up for what they believed in instead of acquiescing to tyranny out of fear of some supposed threat from beyond. Republicans like that are few and far between these days and there ain't but a couple left on this board. They gave you demopublicans up for lost. If I was smart I'd do the same but I keep hoping you'll all come back to your senses but that hope is starting to fade fast now.

You asked me so I told ya CMG.

#52 poncho, Jul 13, 2013
  13. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'll thank you not to add to my quotes, even nonsense like the smiley you added to my last one here. You want ro reply to my quotes, you either quote the whole post without nonsese edits or do not reply at all. I will not be misrepresented and then criticized, even in so ludicrous a manner. You have been politely asked in the past, and failed to comply. Now I'm telling you straight forwardly, don't do that again. Are we clear?

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you tell the Ponch not to ...he does

You'll understand if you have had kids

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Wow how am I supposed to respond to this? Yes sir I promise not to use your tactics against you anymore?

You're "whole post" was nothing more than a string of insults and the typical hogwash you demopublicans throw at anyone that disagrees with you. And now you got the gall to order me not to respond in kind? Who do you think you are my master? Forget you buddy.

You might be the alpha dog at home and scare everyone there into submission but I'm not your family dog. I won't cower in the corner when you enter a room.

If you think you can come in here and be insulting and hostile and act like a common school yard bully without getting it thrown right back at you, you got anther think coming.

Salty is right I don' t take orders from hypocrites. Is that clear enough?

#55 poncho, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  16. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Yeah I got a laugh out of that one too. :laugh: That answers a lot of questions and shows he really doesn't know what a hard core conservative is. A Paleo Conservative? Like Pat Buchanan??? He's dreaming. More like a hard core Ron Paul / John Stossel Libertarian. I'm way more of a Paleo Con than Poncho and I'm really a Religious right-winger.

But he's right about 1 thing. Many of todays republicans are yesterdays (moderate) Dems. I changed for sure. I used to be a hard core Reagan Republican. But there aren't any around anymore. The likes of Olympia Snow, John McCain and Lindsey Graham and their ilk changed the party. So I am just a hard core Christian Conservative these days.

He's also right about what the neocons in Washington are doing to this country right now. I really cant think of any politician in office now who truly has conservative fiscal and social values, who will also champion traditional family values.

Regarding other claims in this thread, I found an interesting article:

news:Iran claims it hanged CIA, Mossad spies

Also a report showing that while the Mossad chief Tamir Pardo did say that while a nuclear Iran was not necessarily an existential threat to Israel, he also said
    http://www.haaretz.com/print-editio...ssarily-existential-threat-to-israel-1.404227

So the implication that Mossad doesn't think Iran is a threat, is misleading at best. Israel does think Iran is a threat. Netanyahu has characterized a nuclear Iran many times as an existential threat to Israel.

But Israel is a mighty nation militarily and can handle itself. We wouldn't have to put boots on the ground in most cases and their president has said so in the past. They are a tremendous ally or ours and shares both votes in the UN and intel with us often. We have no better friend over there.

#56 Dennis324, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  17. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Btw...The only reason I snip posts for the sake of brevity. For me it helps to address specifics. :eek:

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I got a chuckle out your post where you showed you didn't know your lefties from your righties yet.

19. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

This...coming from someone who thinks legalizing drugs is a Conservative position. :rolleyes:

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Well actually it's coming from someone that just proved that there is no way you can refute all the evidence that doesn't favor your position and showed it to be based on nothing more than your own personal biased views.

If you actually had an argument that showed your position held any water at all you'd think it would have come out by now.

Just the fact that you have to resort to using snippy remarks and strings of invectives should be enough to make any reasonable person begin to doubt the premises their own argument is based on.

But then you never expected to come face to face with evidence you couldn't possibly refute did you. I imagine that you've just gotten used to people either agreeing with your positions or backing down after you started flinging insults and invectives at them.

So far the only thing you've proved is that you'll go to great lengths to protect your erroneous beliefs.

I would be happy to continue that debate using reason and evidence vs your personal feelings on the subject if you'd like. I'm quite cetain I come up with many more facts and pieces of information to support my position than can come up with insults and invectives to support your's. ; )

#60 poncho, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013