1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The conflicted Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I think his statement is suggesting that HE (Herald) will decide for him.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Because historical and theological accuracy matter to me.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Yes. Winman has admitted to holding to Open Theism, but then qualified that statement so as not to put himself in a corner. But the fact remains that his articulated theology is consistent with Open Theism and full Pelagianism.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heres how this appears to me & I will use "Reprobation" as a subject matter that matters to me.

1) anything I read of value about the subject is either bookmarked on my PC, saved in a file or copied & manually filed.

2) if I obtain information from a book Im reading I highlight it & tab it with a post-it note. I will go back to it for reference.

3) if I cant do any of that, like inf on a you tube, I will record the brief verbiage in a composition book.

4) I am contacting 3 pastors via phone to ask some puzzling questions I cant figure out & record them as well.

5) since the subject matter....in this case reprobation has commentary from the Dutch Reformed Great 'Abe Kuyper' I am personally meeting with a local Dutch Reformed Pastor to converse about it.....most Reform Baptists Pastors are not conversant in Kuyper.

See....what I am saying is that when it matters that much to me, I try to take it apart & record all references to it to make a good story to tell & to satisfy my understanding. It appears that you & a few others, though you claim to be very versed in your own subject, dont offer up adequate evidence to support your thesis. So what are we to conclude?

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I did read this recently;
    Actually all decisions are influenced by the pro's and con's of it. Submiting to the righteousness of God was a choice I made and it wasn't a mistake. It was according to scripture. Rom10:1-4. Confession is made unto Salvation Rom 10:10. The both of them require a decision. Didn't you make those decisions?
    MB

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As soon as the grace of the Holy Spirit regenerated me I cried Jesus Save Me A poor & retched sinner ....and I was saved.

Eph. 2: 8-9

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds as if you were saved and didn't know it. You see to be regenerated means to be saved.
    MB

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if that gives you satisfaction MB, then go with it. I however do not agree that a person who is guilty of the sin of non-belief can be saved without Gods intervention. See that is exactly what the Holy Spirit accused me of....the terrible sin of unbelief. And for that I was ashamed. That is what it took.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I have always offered evidence to support my theses. I kind of got used to that during my education. :)

If others refuse to accept it or don't think it adequate, that's their problem, not mine. I have personally found that often when someone does that, it is because he or she has a problem with the evidence.

My personal opinions and beliefs are not infallible, but I try to distinguish between those and historical and objective facts, on and off this forum.

#89 Thomas Helwys, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thank you.

I think most thoughtful non-cals would agree with your assessment.

I was a Free Will Baptist for years and I saw Calvinism as wrong but perfectly consistent.

#91 Luke2427, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then as a ex- FREE WILL BAPTIST, please explain how a FW Christian cannot understand that a person can be regenerated prior to believing

Is this a Romans 3 thing?

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is a fundamental misappropriation of terms.

As an Arminian I used to make this common error. I thought that almost all terms related to salvation were simply synonyms of each other.

When I heard the term "regeneration" for example, in my mind I simply heard the word "salvation". I lacked the understanding that different terms mean different things even if they are RELATED to the same thing.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it intervention when God draws man or convinces man or even convicts man. These are the influences that brought me to a submission to His righteousness and confession of Christ. Only after this was I regenerated or saved.
    MB

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You were regenerated SO THAT you could be saved.

16. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

But don't you know that libertarian free will is just that, an affirmation of both truths (God's sovereignty and man's freedom) while appealing to mystery as to how He accomplishes it? Determinists are the ones attempting an answer where mystery belongs, not us.

Suggesting that men can't willingly respond to God's revelation unless God first irresistibly regenerates them (as Calvinism does) denies Human Freedom, yet you are attempting to maintain that you affirm such freedom. In Calvinism man can't believe unless faith is irresistibly granted to him, yet you are attempting to maintain that men are free to believe or respond willingly to God's appeals for reconciliation?

How can it be that God hold's mankind responsible (able to respond) for a response that God himself has unchangeably ordained him unable to willingly respond to?

In our system, we affirm that every man can willingly respond and thus has no excuse not to. He is RESPONSE-ABLE. Yet, we also affirm God is Sovereign. We appeal to mystery regarding the finite reasoning of regarding God foreknowledge of man's choices, etc (i.e. if God knew it before creating it then he must have unchangeably caused it to be)

Our views sound very similar...

17. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

The better question is how does what I said above NOT lead to 'God rebuking God.'

Take the phrase that you just affirmed, "they are carrying out God's predetermined will for them by rebuking you for holding to God's predetermined will for you...and you are carrying out God's predetermined will for you by rebuking them for holding to God's predetermined will for them."

Let's use the same phrasing and just simplify it down to its base meaning: "Luke is carrying out God's will for him by rebuking Skandelon for believing what God willed for him to believe." (and vice versa)

Stated even more simply: God's will for Luke is rebuking God's will for Skand."

More simply: God (in vessel Luke) is rebuking God (in vessel Skand).

(change 'vessel' for 'puppet/robot' for more negative connotation, but that is the second cause caveat mentioned in the OP)

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you know if what you said is true you would think I would have known that. Still being regenerated is being saved and I know when it happened.
    MB

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Whoa cowboy, when have I ever said I believe in Open Theism? I challenge you to show where I have ever said such a thing, you cannot do it.

You need to retract this statement right now or show where I have ever said I believe in Open Theism.

20. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Skandelon

you wrote, "they are carrying out God's predetermined will for them by rebuking you for holding to God's predetermined will for you...and you are carrying out God's predetermined will for you by rebuking them for holding to God's predetermined will for them."

I have never heard it put that way, and I don't see how to contradict it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.