1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The connection between: Loving Jesus—Obedience—Eternal Life

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Samuels, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First thing Satan taught was ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED.

Genesis 3

3but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’” 4The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! 5“For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”.

The minute you sin your salvation is lost

Philippians 3

12Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; 16however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.
    17Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us. 18For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ, 19whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things

Paul tells us he presses forward for salvation and doesn't claim to have laid hold of it.
    Because its obvious to PAUL as with anyone with common sense those who are saved are PERFECT. "Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect"
    There is no sin in heaven.

He also weeps for those who walked the path but are now enemies of the cross whose end is destruction.

Suppose we switched the agreement that he weeps all the unbelievers in the world.

(those who never had it)

That would pose a even greater dilemma in that its OBVIOUS that doing GOOD WORKS --> walking the path helps them get on board with the correct faith.

So its as matter of pick your poison. Either Paul who weeping because the destruction that came over those "once saved" who are fallen from not following the pattern and pressing on the path set for them.

OR

Paul is weeping for those "who never had it it" Because the only way to GET IT is the PATH, PRESSING FOWARD and following the pattern that leads to PERFECTION.

If you challenge this. SIMPLY tell us why is Paul weeping?

2. utilyan

Site Supporter

The Calvinist version of my last post is:

Paul is weeping for reprobates is a sin. God does not love reprobates so neither should Paul be weeping for these who walked the path are now fallen and heading for destruction.

Why is Paul weeping?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Up to this point in your post, I think all of us will agree that what you wrote is truth. Obedience is absolutely a part of true saving faith and absolutely there is more to salvation than simply believing. However, where we disagree is that obedience is a condition of salvation but instead we say that it is a sign of salvation.

I will absolutely disagree with your last statement that there are Christians out there who want grace only without accountability. Are there some? Sure. But I can safely say that more than likely there has never been a "heart transplant" in any of them. No new creation. The list you wrote are not requirements of eternal life but SIGNS of eternal life. These are things that are all a result of the new heart we have inside of us that is given to us by God and it is not of our own will or efforts.

Once again you miss the Scripture Titus 3:3-8

For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.

Do you not see? These good works are excellent and profitable but our salvation is not based in them. Our salvation is based only on Christ's redeeming work on the Cross.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are NEVER commanded/exhorted to keep your salvation, but are to keep maturing in Christ!
    We can lose eternal rewards, but not eternal life!

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul isn't "pressing on for salvation", he is pressing on for "sanctification", maturing into Christ. He's not perfect, but he is striving to be.

Philippians 3:12-16 Not that I have already attained this – that is, I have not already been perfected – but I strive to lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus also laid hold of me.
    Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself to have attained this. Instead I am single-minded: Forgetting the things that are behind and reaching out for the things that are ahead,
    with this goal in mind, I strive toward the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
    Therefore let those of us who are “perfect” embrace this point of view. If you think otherwise, God will reveal to you the error of your ways.
    Nevertheless, let us live up to the standard that we have already attained.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul is weeping for those who reject Christ. I don't know what kind of church you attend, but if you are not heartbroken over those who are perishing then how is it that you can say you love others as Christ has loved you?

This is why we have a long line of preachers, both Calvinists (like Spurgeon and Whitefield) and Arminian (like Wesley) and non-Calvinistic (like Tozer) who plead with men to be saved, rejoicing with those who come and sorrowing over those who refuse.

What kind of church to you go to that would lead you to believe that Calvinists think Paul was sinning when he wept over the lost? Sinners go to Hell unsaved, not unloved. That is the true depth of their depravity, that God loved them in such a way that had they just believed they would have been saved. Look at the Cross! That is God's love for all mankind. And, even more, that is God's love for those who believe.

7. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure, but I am called to warn those who are NOT practicing righteousness
    that they are NOT saved. About 10 NT verses say ...
    those who are practicing righteousness are righteous (in God's eyes, not man's).

Meanwhile, there are several clear NT verses which state ...
    MAN CAN LOSE HIS ETERNAL LIFE.

My favorite passage still is Revelation 21:7-8
    Born-again believers who choose to habitually sin will live in the Fire!

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to not understand the "in workings of Eternal Life"

The reason you have eternal life is because you have the Son of the Living God Born in You--Galatians 2:20

The Incorruptible Word has been planted in you and has produced Life within You...This is an IRREVERSIBLE reality.

It's the Picture of a Caterpillar turning into a butterfly, never to be a caterpillar again! You have been Transformed.

Christ doesn't leave you--"I will never leave you nor forsake you."

You have been "regenerated", not by works of righteousness that we have done, but by the Mercy of God--Titus 3

Regenerated literally means to be a new creation--a Child of God--Do you think God will Send His Child to Hell? You have a TERRIBLE view of who God is.

Those who are overcomers will enter into God's Presence for all eternity, what does the Word say about that?

1 John 5:4
    For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:5
    Who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

This is What John Says about "Practicing sin"...

1 John 3:9
    Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God's seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Samuels, it appears you haven't put the pieces of the puzzle together yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Those who are alive breathe. One is a result of the other and not the cause.

I'm sorry but there is not one.

HUH??

"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

How in the world do you get that this is born again believers?? I'm sorry but clearly we see that this is NOT anyone who is saved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, it says the "UNBELIEVING" will not enter His presence but will go to the lake of fire...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - I wonder why someone thinks there is such a thing as an unbelieving believer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this is absolutely true. 1 John 3:3. 'Everyone who has this hope [salvation] in Him purifies himself.' If everyone who has the hope purifies himself, how many are there who have the hope who do not purify themselves? Think about it for a moment and then answer. That's right! None! No one at all!
    So if we see someone who claims to be born again but is habitually sinning, what do we say? Right again! He's deceiving himself. 'Whoever has been born of God does not [habitually] sin, for His seed remains in Him and He cannot [habitually] sin because he has been born of God' (1 John 3:9). So if someone does habitually sin, what do we know about him? Right again! He is not born of God.
    Man in himself does not have eternal life (Genesis 3:19).
    As Annsni has shown you, Rev. 21:7-8 says nothing of the sort, and as I have shown you from the word of God, if anyone chooses to sin habitually he is not born again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rean born again believers will not live always in habitual sinning... Any who keeps on always sinning never has been saved!

14. utilyan

Site Supporter

Yeshuah meet Satan. Believer, Perfect, Blameless, anointed by God, most exalted angel of all. FALLEN.

1 timothy 5

8But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

A unbeliever is a bad.....whats worst then a unbeliever. HINT: its not a unbeliever.

Catching a cold is bad! whats worst then catching a cold? Hint: its not catching a cold.

Hebrews 10

26For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. 28Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30For we know Him who said, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY.” And again, “THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.” 31It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Well we know unbelievers go to hell. So tell us what is this SEVERER PUNISHMENT, A WORST PUNISHMENT of a FURY OF FIRE that will consume them.

Matthew 5

29“If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30“If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.

^FOR WHO IS THIS ADVICE FOR that Jesus is speaking?

Its not for the unsaved fellah! cause you swear he can't DO anything and the ball is God's court not the sinner's.

Its not for the SAVED Fellah! Cause ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED!

Its not for Calvinist, Because its saying its the mortal's option to go to hell or not.

Its not for FAITH ALONE, Because there would be no need to cut anything.

WHO IS THIS ADVICE FOR PEOPLE!? THINK!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus did for ALL of my sins, so would unbelief be included among all sins then?

16. utilyan

Site Supporter

All sins.

1 john 2

1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
    3By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

John still tells you not to sin. If he was of your theology he would never say you have to stop sinning. I'm telling you, YOU have to stop sinning.

Imagine your here, "well john I don't have to stop sinning, didn't Jesus die for all my sins?"

He's going to think you are crazy......He just told you THE REASON he is writing these things is so you may not sin!

If you had an excuse for sinning, When Jesus died for all sins, that excuse is GONE.

This gets echoed in Romans 6

15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

Gee Paul is it ok for me to sin since I'm under grace and not the law? May it never be!

What you want PAUL is against. Your saying the same thing. That its ok to sin because your under grace.

He says NO. I say no, bible says no, Jesus says no, john says no. DO NOT SIN.

When are you going to tell people not to sin?

Luke 20

9And He began to tell the people this parable: “A man planted a vineyard and rented it out to vine-growers, and went on a journey for a long time. 10“At the harvest time he sent a slave to the vine-growers, so that they would give him some of the produce of the vineyard; but the vine-growers beat him and sent him away empty-handed. 11“And he proceeded to send another slave; and they beat him also and treated him shamefully and sent him away empty-handed. 12“And he proceeded to send a third; and this one also they wounded and cast out. 13“The owner of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps they will respect him.’ 14“But when the vine-growers saw him, they reasoned with one another, saying, ‘This is the heir; let us kill him so that the inheritance will be ours.’ 15“So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What, then, will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16“He will come and destroy these vine-growers and will give the vineyard to others.” When they heard it, they said, “May it never be!”

Those vine growers are not unbelievers. They are inheritors and they know it. And they sin, hows it end their stuff goes to others.

I'm not saying God keeps score of good things and weighs whether you made enough to enter heaven.

I'm saying there IS NO SIN IN HEAVEN. We can debate when, how and why. Fact remains there is no SIN in heaven.

See if YOU stop sinning there is true repentance, If God has to flick a switch to stop your sinning there is no repentance or forgiveness.

Jesus Christ did not make sin a paid perk.

If you told your child your not going to send them to jail or punish them for smashing their own hand with a hammer the punishment isn't the problem its the sin that's the problem.

17. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Haven't I already showed this to you?
    Disobedience proves Unbelief (Hebrews 3).
    First, I must ask you ... do you understand what these words mean?

The main problem with you people is ...
    your biases from your false doctrines
    are way more important to you than
    reconciling all of the NT verses!

Your doctrinal system is to reject and ignore
    the Scripture verses that you don't agree with.

You really must RECONCILE ...
    the so-called OSAS verses with the anti-OSAS verses!

If you end up with insisting that God is bluffing, etc.
    with His warning verses, then at least that's something.

18. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not always so cut and dry...Disobedience can also mean OUT OF FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD.

Moses disobeyed God, did he die and go to hell? He appeared before Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, so all signs point to no.

There is a reality that one may be Positionally Right with God but relationally out of Sorts with God. This is clearly a theme throughout all scripture.

19. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus gave this warning, so I'll put it in red ...
    Revelation 21:
    7 He that overcometh shall inherit these things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
    8 But for the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, their part [shall be] in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone; which is the second death.

Please note the contrast here between overcomers (v.7) and sinners (v.8).

fearful (2 examples) ...
    -- back down from persecution and fall away
    -- take the mark of the beast

unbelieving (2 examples) ...
    -- obvious non-believers
    -- born-again Christians who habitually sin,
    e.g. Hebrews 3: disobedience proves unbelief

Many, many in American churches are habitually sinning
    such as in Jesus' list above ...
    e.g. private polls show that about 50% of pastors watch porn.

Most American pastors are going to be severely dealt with
    by the Lord for their incredibly disastrous handling of His sheep.

You say, "Big deal, they're all going to heaven anyway."

NO, they are NOT ... NT Scripture says they are NOT,
    and recent words from the Lord to His people say they are NOT.
    You should be considering these 2 things vs. your false doctrines.

All of this spiritual Truth is for those who have eyes and ears to hear.

#139 Samuels, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you know why Christ said HE will separate the Wheat from the tares :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.