1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Conservative Case for WikiLeaks

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 9, 2010.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...

But the worst hypocrisy throughout this controversy has been in conservatives reflexively defending the government and attacking WikiLeaks. Since when have conservatives believed that Washington should be able to shroud any action it likes in secrecy and that revealing government’s nefarious deeds is tantamount to treason? Isn’t it government officials who might secretly work for corporate, ideological or transnational interests — and against the national interest — who are betraying their country?

Decentralizing government power, limiting it, and challenging it was the Founders’ intent and these have always been core conservative principles. Conservatives should prefer an explosion of whistleblower groups like WikiLeaks to a federal government powerful enough to take them down. Government officials who now attack WikLleaks don’t fear national endangerment, they fear personal embarrassment. And while scores of conservatives have long promised to undermine or challenge the current monstrosity in Washington, D.C., it is now an organization not recognizably conservative that best undermines the political establishment and challenges its very foundations."

- rest at www.amconmag.com/blog/2010/12/09/the-conservative-case-for-wikileaks/

#1 KenH, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you claimed to be a conservative.

Doing one of you well known flip flops this far before the 2012 elections?

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Whereas you and others reflexively defend WikiLeaks, and applaud Joe Citizen if he provides Assange with classified documents. All the while attacking "If You See Something, Say Something” as Orwellian. One man's hypocrisy is another man's....well hypocrisy.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I support limited, constitutional government. I am a libertarian.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a supporter of limited, constitutional government and of government of, by, and for the people I will not defend these actions by Leviathan:

“in the past few years, governments have designated so much information secret that you wonder whether they intend the time of day to be classified. The number of new secrets designated as such by the U.S. government has risen 75% … . At the same time, the number of documents and other communications created using those secrets has skyrocketed nearly 10 times…” (from the article)

6. targus

targus New Member

And as a supporter of a limited constitutional government you see no value in such a government having the ability to communicate with other governments through confidential ambassador contacts when necessary in the commission of constitutionally mandated acts such as national defense from outside agents intent on harming the citizens of the country?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny. Your hero, Ron Paul, claims to be a conservative.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not Ron Paul. Of course, when Ron Paul was coming of age and when I was coming of age there was not much difference between being a conservative and being a libertarian. Just read books like the ones that influenced me - "The Conscience of a Conservative" by Barry Goldwater and "In Defense of Freedom: A Conservative Credo" by Frank S. Meyer - and one will see this.

Nowadays a lot of conservatives have gone off the limited government reservation, especially in the area of foreign policy, by falling for the neocon line.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>And as a supporter of a limited constitutional government you see no value in such a government having the ability to communicate with other governments through confidential ambassador contacts when necessary in the commission of constitutionally mandated acts such as national defense from outside agents intent on harming the citizens of the country?

As a Libertarian, no, I do not, because for every legit and useful secret communication there are a thousand slime ball deals that are harmful to the American people.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article:

"No one questions that governments must maintain a certain level of secrecy, including WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who told Time that “Secrecy is important for many things … [but it] shouldn’t be used to cover up abuses.” The entire premise of Assange’s whistleblower organization is this: To what degree is government secrecy justified? And when particular secrets could be damaging to the other partner in the United States government’s relationship — the American people — should these secrets be revealed in the name of protecting the public?

How often does our government use “national security” simply as an excuse to cover up questionable dealings? Reports Time: “in the past few years, governments have designated so much information secret that you wonder whether they intend the time of day to be classified. The number of new secrets designated as such by the U.S. government has risen 75% … . At the same time, the number of documents and other communications created using those secrets has skyrocketed nearly 10 times…”

To say that government must keep secrets is not to say that all government secrets must be kept."

11. targus

targus New Member

And what qualifies this wholesale document leaker as the one to decide which government secrets must be kept and which must not?

BTW - is he holding anything back because he deems it a government secret that must be kept?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something is better than nothing.

13. targus

targus New Member

Do you feel the same about our government - in relation to your feelings about a constitutionally limited government that is?

Honestly, Ken - do you put any thought into these things?

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't trust government. Do you?

Our government is so far removed from any constitutional moorings that our Founding Fathers must be spinning rapidly in their graves.

15. targus

targus New Member

I a sorry, Ken - but I don't think that you have a real or informed opinion on anything.

I have come to the conclusion that you are a group-think joiner.

You have joined another group to give you a few buzz words to drop - today it is the Libertarians.

Who will it be tomorrow - Latter Day reformed Marxist neo-progressives?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you really shouldn't be reading my posts and you certainly shouldn't be responding them. That would save you some time to do other things. :smilewinkgrin:

17. targus

targus New Member

Everyone needs a little enterainment now and then.

That why stupid sitcoms on TV get such high ratings. :smilewinkgrin:

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    hehehehehe :thumbs:

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Barry Goldwater would never have been in favor of bringing down the US administration as Julian Assange is. This is not conservativism so much as it is anarchism.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive." - Thomas Jefferson

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy