1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Contextual relationship between "given" and "come" in Jn. 6:37-39

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Aug 15, 2016.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Jn. 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
    38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
    39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

A. The Grammatical relationship

1. In verse 37 "giveth" is present tense while "shall come" is future tense showing that act of the Father giving precedes the act of coming by those who were given.

2. In verse 39 "hath given" is found in the Perfect tense showing it was already a completed action somewhere in the past that continues as completed action at the time Christ spoke these words. The time of giving is revealed by Christ when he says He came down from heaven to do the will of the Father, which "will" concerned those given that none should be lost. Hence, they had to have been given prior to the incarnation or else it could not be given as Christ's reason for coming to earth.

B. The Logical Relationship

1. The act of giving prior to the incarnation logically demands the act of giving followed the act of choosing. Why? Because all that are given NONE would be lost and therefore the very act of giving was limited to a select number of mankind because much of mankind never comes to Christ and remains lost. Hence, that requires choosing out of all mankind those which would be given to Christ before they could be given to Christ, since the act of giving occurred before the incarnation.

2. Choosing and giving prior to the incarnation has its stated consequence in all those chosen and given coming to Christ in faith for eternal life. Therefore, being given is the stated consequence of coming to Christ.

3. Both choosing and giving had to logically precede the act of drawing in verse 44. Why? Because drawing occurs in the time frame of the life of those being drawn and both choosing and giving occurred prior to the incarnation. Since drawing precedes coming to Christ (v. 44).

C. The Chronological relationship

1. Chronologically choosing must precede giving as there is no other way to specify that "all" given shall come and none be lost without distinguishing who are the "all" that were given prior to the incarnation.

2. Drawing must precede coming as drawing is the stated cause for coming.

3. Hence, the complete chronological order is (1) Choosing the "all"; (2) Giving the "all"; (3) Drawing the "all" (4) "All" coming to Christ by faith for eternal life.

#1 The Biblicist, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016