1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Cooks Corner

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Squire Robertsson, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you been making the same hot dish for Pot-Providence dinners for the last five years? And you want to something new? Do you know what in the world French/1000 Island/Russian Dressings are and how they are related?
    THEN THIS IS THE THREAD FOR YOU!!!! :D :D

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's one of my favorite recipes for a crowd:

Elephant Stew (from Africa)

1 medium elephant
    2 carrots
    4 potatoes
    1 onion

1. Take one medium elephant cut into 1 inch pieces (takes about a week.) Put in a casserole dish with potatoes, carrots and onions.

2. Bake at 425 degrees for 8 days. Serves 1,300 people.

Note: If you need more meat, add a rabbit. However, some people object to finding a hare in their stew.

3. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Ohhhhhhh Dr. Bob! Sounds delicious! Bet it takes like chicken! [​IMG] :D :eek:

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Had that book too! Lol.
    Gina

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, Dr. Bob, this is a serious thread. Keep your cooking jokes for your blue tick hound. By the by, what's your receipe for Shotgun Stew?

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What, nobody's cookin' around here??? Well, make some soup! Slice up about a pound and a half of carrots, throw them in a pan of water and orange juice ('bout 1 and 1/4 cups each), grate the colored part of an orange peel into it, , and toss a couple cloves of garlic in. Cover it and let it simmer until it's all softie, let it cool a few minutes, then squeeze a lemon into it, sprinkle some nutmeg in, stick it in a blender and make it nice and smooth. Put it back in the pan, stir in 1 and 1/4 cup light cream, add some salt and pepper and reheat it. Don't boil it though.
    Got it? Carrots go in water and oj with the zest and garlic, cook, add nutmeg and lemon juice, blend, add cream and salt and pepper and reheat. Sooooooo easy!
    And very orange!
    You want sumpin' green? Ok.
    Slice some green onions real thin and cook them in butter. Add 1 and 2/3 cups water, bring to a boil, add a pound of frozen peas. Simmer a few minutes, let it cool, and stick it in the blender! Ha ha ha ha! I love blenders! Put it back in the pan and stir in 1 and 1/4 cup light cream or milk and 2 teaspoons of mint. Add some salt and pepper and reheat nicely. No boiling. 'K?
    Want something blue? Lemme know when we have a blue vegetable. It'll be the same basic recipe, and it WILL involve a blender!
    da Gina

7. Grace

Grace New Member

I cooked supper last night for 10 people all by myself. Mom was supposed ot cook, but everyone was supposed to get to our house at seven, and she rolled in at 5:40. I cooked "Old Faithful" --Spaghetti. Can't go wrong..

8. Joy

Joy New Member

makin' "toikey" for about 60 people on Friday! :eek: The trick will be to get it properly done and on time! I will need lots of prayer as hunting season opens this weekend! [​IMG]

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Joy,
    cooking wild turkey, or store bought? What size bird you need for 60 people?
    A lady on a cooking forum I go to, her family used to have a poultry farm, with a goverment contract for turkeys. She said the breed they raised for the army averageda bout 40 pounds. Now thats one big bird. I don't think it would fit in my oven.

10. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    Elephant Stew (from Africa)

1 medium elephant
    2 carrots
    4 potatoes
    1 onion

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its the "medium" on the medium elephant that just makes that hilarious! Sadly, though, I'm out of elephants.

11. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katie:
    Joy, She said the breed they raised for the army averageda bout 40 pounds. Now thats one big bird.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but birds that big taste foul.
    [​IMG]

12. MikeJ

MikeJ New Member

They all taste fowl.

[​IMG]

13. ILuvAWANA

ILuvAWANA New Member

*holds head*

Ouch, you guys!! :D

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha!

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

We're having a big tailgate party before Tuesday night's Buffett concert and I'm still trying to think of something to cook.

We may boil crawfish and make gumbo or something.

16. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

RE: Elephant Stew...only one onion? what about garlic and seasoning [​IMG]

17. benedictus

benedictus New Member

Here is an earnest answer:

For a big crowd Pizza is the best, easiest and most variable.

Ingredients:

Dough: 300g wheat flour, ~20g dry yeast, 1/8l lukeworm water, 4 Tablespoons of olive oil

Basis: 400-500ml tomato mash, 1 onion, 2-3 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, oregano!!!

Top: whatever you like (even a medium elephant)

Mix the flour with the yeast (ideally in a big bowl) ad water and oil. Kneed for at least 10 minutes, cover it (with a plate) and let it rest for 1 hour.
    In the meantime chop the onion and the garlic (don't squash it or it looses flavour) and roast it gently with a bit of olive oil. Then add the tomatoe mash, cook lightly and spice with salt, pepper and oregano.
    After the dough has rested for one hour (should now at least be twice as big) roll it flat (you can also try the classic "throw and twist" when you are more experienced) on a bed of flour until it fits the size of your oven.
    Candle the oven at 200-225 degree Centigrade for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile thinly spread olive oil on the baking trey and put the rolled dough on it. Then spread the tomatoe mass on top of it.

You can now plate it vith everything you like. Mozarella (or any other cheese) is a good suggestion as basis. Other suggestions are: sliced meat, saussage, vegetables of any kind, pineapples, fish (tuna), ...
    Spice with oregano or any other spices you like and wack it in the oven for about half an hour.

Pizza is ready, when all the edges are crunchy and the cheese (if any) has melted.

P.S.: you can also multiply the ingrediants by any number if your stove is large enough.

Bon appetito - as the Italians say

18. benedictus

benedictus New Member

of course it has to be "Buon Appetito" !!!
    -It seems as if I'm typing with gaunlets.-