1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Copyrights issue....

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Iwrote a friend across the pond and here is his reply to further muddy the waters :BangHead:

NO it is not copyrighted in England , but YES the Authorized Version of the KJV is copyrighted by Queen Elizabeth II of England/Elizabeth I of Scotland thus the title “Authorized Version”. It is actually a UK wide copyright. The USA very early on violated/canceled the copyright and excluded it at some kind of level in the US to make it not copyrighted to the king/queen. I have attached a copy of the license from a British Printed KJV by the TBS… it is the only British/Scottish printed one I have to hand at the moment. I keep giving the things away as fast as I get them. Anyway as you can see the Queen authorized the license in 1957 and this one was printed via that license just a couple of years ago. The title page specifically calls it “Authorized (King James) Version. See especially the last paragraph which forbids any kind of reproduction without written permission—which of course we do all the time for sermon notes ect, ect.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You may also refer to Wiki for a further explanation-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Bible

In most of the world the King James Bible is freely reproduced as if it were out of copyright. This is not the case in the United Kingdom itself.
    In the United Kingdom, the rights to the Authorized Version are held by the British Crown. The rights fall outside the scope of copyright as defined in statute law. Instead they fall under the purview of the Royal Prerogative and as such they are perpetual in subsistence. Publishers are licensed to reproduce the Authorized Version under letters patent. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland the letters patent are held by the Queen's Printer, and in Scotland by the Scottish Bible Board. The office of Queen's Printer has been associated with the right to reproduce the Bible for many years, with the earliest known reference coming in 1577. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland the Queen's Printer is Cambridge University Press. CUP inherited the right of being Queen's Printer when they took over the firm of Eyre & Spottiswoode in the late 20th century. Eyre & Spottiswoode had been Queen's Printer since 1901.
    Other letters patent of similar antiquity grant Cambridge University Press and Oxford University Press the right to produce the Authorized Version independently of the Queen's Printer. In Scotland the Authorized Version is published by Collins under license from the Scottish Bible Board, but in recent years the publisher Canongate were allowed to produce a series of individual books of the Bible under the series title "The Pocket Canons".
    The terms of the letters patent prohibit those other than the holders, or those authorized by the holders from printing, publishing or importing the Authorized Version into the United Kingdom. The protection that the Authorized Version, and also the Book of Common Prayer, enjoy is the last remnant of the time when the Crown held a monopoly over all printing and publishing in the United Kingdom.
    It is common misconception that the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office holds letters patent for being Queen's Printer. The Controller of HMSO holds a separate set of letters patent which cover the office Queen's Printer of Acts of Parliament. The Scotland Act 1998 defines the position of Queen's Printer for Scotland as also being held by the Queen's Printer of Acts of Parliament. The position of Government Printer for Northern Ireland is also held by the Controller of HMSO.
    Royal prerogative is not recognized in United States law, and therefore the KJV is effectively in the public domain in that country.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore, following the logic of the RKJVO, the KJV is only the Word of God in the USA and other nations which do not recognize the crown copyright.

Here is a question: If I go to Britain and purchase a KJV, does it become the Word of God when I bring it back with me?

When I enter international waters or when I arrive in America?

What if I watch a royal coronation from Britain on TV and they quote from the KJV during the service, is the quote the Word of God here in the USA but not in Britain?

Just pointing out the absurdity of the KJVO position even if it were true.

HankD

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Since Royal Letters of Patent are recognised in Ireland - what do I preach from if I want to make sure I am using the word of God, which, supposedly, cannot be copyrighted.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, how about the original language books that ol' St. Pattie used that I'm sure som... Oh, Nevermind! :tongue3: :laugh:

Guess you'll just have to make do with some version that has been 'copywrited', 'less you wanna' use something that predates 1600 A.D. or so! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Actually, that is a whole different versions debate - for another day perhaps.

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May we conclude that the KJV is copyrighted in the UK, its text is public domain in the USA, and that in reality the copyright issue affects nothing pertaining to Bible versions?

Roger, if no meaningful opposition to these conclusions is presented in 24 hours, will you close this thread?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As Ol' 'Foghorn Leghorn' would say, "Son, I say son! That's a joke, son!" :thumbsup: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed