1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The 'core' of the Gospel

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Numbers 1 - 5 are not saved. :(

The rules of this board do not allow me to respond to number 6. :rolleyes:

P.S. I did not find the core of the gospel anywhere in your post.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Wow! - your presense on this board may be rules violation if you do not believe in salvation by faith alone.

I believe a Baptist distinctive is Salvation by grace through faith alone. If you belief it is faith plus works you probably don't belong on Baptist Board.

Moderator, feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding the rules of the Baptist Board.

Otherwise, Craigbythesea, take what I have written, any statement that even close to what you believe the Bible teaches, and add what I am missing so we can see what you believe the core of the Gospel is.

Right now by your standards, no one on this board is saved but you.

I look forward to your explaination.

IFBReformer
    </font>[/QUOTE]The core of the gospel is found in the words of the New Testament:

Matt. 4:23. Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matt. 6:33. "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Matt. 9:35. Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matt. 12:28. "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Matt. 19:24. "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Matt. 21:31. "Which of the two did the will of his father?" They *said, "The first." Jesus *said to them, "Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.

Matt. 21:43. "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it.

Matt. 24:14. "This gospel of the kingdomshall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Mark 1:14. Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
    15. and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Mark 4:11. And He was saying to them, "To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God, but those who are outside get everything in parables,

Mark 4:26. And He was saying, "The kingdom of God is like a man who casts seed upon the soil;

Mark 4:30. And He said, "How shall we picture the kingdom of God, or by what parable shall we present it?

Mark 9:1. And Jesus was saying to them, "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power."

Mark 9:47. "If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell,

Mark 10:14. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, "Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
    15. "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."

Mark 10:23. And Jesus, looking around, *said to His disciples, "How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!"
    24. The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus *answered again and *said to them, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!
    25. "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Mark 12:34. When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." After that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.

Mark 14:25. "Truly I say to you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

Mark 15:43. Joseph of Arimathea came, a prominent member of the Council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God; and he gathered up courage and went in before Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus.

Luke 4:43. But He said to them, "I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose."

Luke 6:20. And turning His gaze toward His disciples, He began to say, "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

Luke 7:28. "I say to you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

Luke 8:1. Soon afterwards, He began going around from one city and village to another, proclaiming and preaching the kingdom of God. The twelve were with Him,

Luke 8:10. And He said, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is in parables, so that SEEING THEY MAY NOT SEE, AND HEARING THEY MAY NOT UNDERSTAND.

Luke 9:2. And He sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to perform healing.

Luke 9:11. But the crowds were aware of this and followed Him; and welcoming them, He began speaking to them about the kingdom of God and curing those who had need of healing.

Luke 9:27. "But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."

Luke 9:60. But He said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God."

Luke 9:62. But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

Luke 10:9. and heal those in it who are sick, and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.'

Luke 10:11. 'Even the dust of your city which clings to our feet we wipe off in protest against you; yet be sure of this, that the kingdom of God has come near.'

Luke 11:20. "But if I cast out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Luke 12:31. "But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Luke 13:18. So He was saying, "What is the kingdom of God like, and to what shall I compare it?
    19. "It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and threw into his own garden; and it grew and became a tree, and THE BIRDS OF THE AIR NESTED IN ITS BRANCHES."
    20. And again He said, "To what shall I compare the kingdom of God?

Luke 13:28. "In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.
    29. "And they will come from east and west and from north and south, and will recline at the table in the kingdom of God.

Luke 14:15. When one of those who were reclining at the table with Him heard this, he said to Him, "Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God!"

Luke 16:16. "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

Luke 17:20. Now having been questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed;
    21. nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst."

Luke 18:16. But Jesus called for them, saying, "Permit the children to come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
    17. "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."

Luke 18:24. And Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!
    25. "For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Luke 18:29. And He said to them, "Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God,

Luke 19:11. While they were listening to these things, Jesus went on to tell a parable, because He was near Jerusalem, and they supposed that the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately.

Luke 21: 31. "So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near.

Luke 22:16. for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God."

Luke 22:18. for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes."

Luke 23:51. (he had not consented to their plan and action), a man from Arimathea, a city of the Jews, who was waiting for the kingdom of God;

John 3:3. Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
    4. Nicodemus *said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?"
    5. Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 1:3. To these He also presented Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God.

Acts 8:12. But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike.

Acts 14:22. strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God."

Acts 19:8. And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.

Acts 20:25. "And now, behold, I know that all of you, among whom I went about preaching the kingdom, will no longer see my face.

Acts 28:23. When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.

Acts 28:31. preaching the kingdom of God and teaching concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all openness, unhindered.

Romans 14:17. for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

1 Cor. 4:20. For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power.

1 Cor. 6:9. Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
    10. nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Cor. 15:50. Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Gal. 5:19. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
    20. idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
    21. envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Col. 4:11. and also Jesus who is called Justus; these are the only fellow workers for the kingdom of God who are from the circumcision, and they have proved to be an encouragement to me.

2 Thes. 1: 5. This is a plain indication of God's righteous judgment so that you will be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which indeed you are suffering.

[​IMG]

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Better watch out, Craig, your starting to sound like me and Lacy... If you could just separate the kingdom of God from the free gift of eternal salvation!

3. Craigbythesea

Please notice especially John 3:3-5,

John 3:3. Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
    4. Nicodemus *said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?"
    5. Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In order for one’s faith to be efficacious for salvation, it is absolutely necessary that the faith be of such quality that it results in the rebirth. No other faith, and no other religious experience, is sufficient to save anyone.

Compare the words of the Apostle Peter,

1 Peter 1:22. Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,
    23. for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

Compare also Romans 6:1 – 7:4,

6:1. What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
    2. May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
    3. Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
    4. Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
    5. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
    6. knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
    7. for he who has died is freed from sin.
    8. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
    9. knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
    10. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
    11. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
    12. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
    13. and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
    14. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
    15. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!
    16. Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
    17. But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
    18. and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
    19. I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
    20. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
    21. Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death.
    22. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
    23. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    7:1. Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives?
    2. For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband.
    3. So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.
    4. Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

(All Scriptures in this and my preceding post are from the 1995 edition of the NASB)

[​IMG]

4. Craigbythesea

"God forbid!" (KJV)

[​IMG]

5. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

This is about the only statement of application you make to any of the scripture you quoted. I agree that to be saved we must be born again.

So whats your point - we agree we must be born again.

You have yet to explain how everyone I described in my first post is not saved , as you insinuated in your first comment.

IFBReformer

6. Craigbythesea

There was no mention in your post of any of these people having been born again, or any suggestion of any kind that they were. As I wrote above, “In order for one’s faith to be efficacious for salvation, it is absolutely necessary that the faith be of such quality that it results in the rebirth. No other faith, and no other religious experience, is sufficient to save anyone.”

[​IMG]

7. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

There was no mention in your post of any of these people having been born again, or any suggestion of any kind that they were. As I wrote above, “In order for one’s faith to be efficacious for salvation, it is absolutely necessary that the faith be of such quality that it results in the rebirth. No other faith, and no other religious experience, is sufficient to save anyone.”

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]
    Question
    Are you saying that someone who places their faith and trust in Christ(not head knowledge but in the heart as Romans 10 tells us) is not born again?

IFBReformer

8. Craigbythesea

This is what I am saying,

“In order for one’s faith to be efficacious for salvation, it is absolutely necessary that the faith be of such quality that it results in the rebirth. No other faith, and no other religious experience, is sufficient to save anyone.”

[​IMG]

9. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

This is what I am saying,

“In order for one’s faith to be efficacious for salvation, it is absolutely necessary that the faith be of such quality that it results in the rebirth. No other faith, and no other religious experience, is sufficient to save anyone.”

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Question 1.
    So what is the "quality that it results in the rebirth"?

Question 2.
    Is being born again, something that happens when a person believes, or is being born again a process of the lifetime of a individual after they have believed on Christ?

IFBReformer

10. Craigbythesea

That it is efficacious in bringing about the rebirth.

Theologically it is “something that happens when a person believes.” In practice, however, it is often “a process of the lifetime of a individual after they have believed on Christ.”

[​IMG]

11. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

That it is efficacious in bringing about the rebirth.

Theologically it is “something that happens when a person believes.” In practice, however, it is often “a process of the lifetime of a individual after they have believed on Christ.”

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Question 1.
    So the faith someone has must be that which "is efficacious in bringing about the rebirth." So how can a new Christian who has just trusted in Christ as Lord and Savior have any assurance he has been born again?

Question 2.
    If his assurance of the rebirth is based upon his practical sanctification after his belief - then can he really know at the momment he professes faith and trust in Christ?

Question 3(a & b).
    If his assurance of the rebirth is based upon his practical sanctification after his belief - how much sin in his life would invalidate his profession? Are there particular sins according to the scriptures that invalidate his belief and prove he was never really born again?

Question 4
    If his assurance of the rebirth is based upon his practical sanctification after his belief - if he has any bad habits, if he does not have victory over each of the habits does this invalidate his belief and prove he was never really born again?

IFBReformer

12. Craigbythesea

2 Cor. 5:17 gives us the answer,

17. Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. (NASB, 1995)

I did not. Perhaps some others have.

I believe that 2 Cor. 5:17 gives us the answer to these questions also,

17. Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. (NASB, 1995)

I believe that 2 Cor. 5:17 gives us the answer to this question also,

[​IMG]

13. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

2 Cor. 5:17 gives us the answer,

I did not. Perhaps some others have.

I believe that 2 Cor. 5:17 gives us the answer to these questions also,

I believe that 2 Cor. 5:17 gives us the answer to this question also,

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I going to bump this one back up.

Craigbythesea,

I don't think you answered a couple of my questions.

We agree we become new creatures when we are saved - that was not the question. The questions were about assurance of rebirth.

If I read you correctly, and please feel free to correct, you are saying that a believer has no assurance of the rebirth as long as there is any old bad habits(or new ones after salvation)?

I doubt you will give a straight answer, but I just thought I would try and throw it out there one last time.

IFBReformer

14. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

The "core" of the gospel is found in 1 Cor. 15:-8
    "Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, and in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance whichI also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas,then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all,as it were to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.

It seems your question is not really "what is the core of the gospel," but "which response to the gospel is valid?"

Assurance of rebirth is a personal thing, His Spirit witnessing with our spirit. That cannot be applied to someone other than yourself. His Spirit does not witness to my spirit that you are not saved because you view things a little differently. Obviously, if someone denies Christ as God, we should not assume they are saved, but unsaved and give them the truth of the gospel. If a person has made a profession of faith, but lives in blantant sin, we are to attempt to restore them gently, according to Matt. 18. If they refuse these efforts, finally to the church itself, then we are told to treat them as if they are an unbeliever. We cannot pronounce them "unsaved" anymore than we should pronounce someone "saved". Assurance comes from God alone. That person may or may not be saved, but the best we can say is that they should not have any assurance of salvation if they do not walk in a manner worthy of their calling. We treat them as an unbeliever in that we witness to them and give them the truth of the gospel, so that if saved, God can restore and if unsaved, they can be saved.

It seems someone once asked George Whitfield if He thought he would see Wesley in heaven. Whitfield replied, "No, I don't think so" To which the person replied, "See, you think only those who believe like you will be in heaven." Whitfield then replied, "No, what I meant was that I believe Wesley will be given a place so much closer to the throne of our Lord, that I would never get a chance to see him."

15. Craigbythesea

Here is your straight answer: No, that is not what I am saying.

[​IMG]

16. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Here is your straight answer: No, that is not what I am saying.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Nice [​IMG]

Would you care to elaborate? How can someone have assurance of the rebirth? We agree there will be change. Thats not the issue, the issue is how much change. You have answered that you do not believe in sinless perfection.

But is it then "almost perfection" we need for assurance of the rebirth? So if we look back at our life when we die and see 95% good with only 5% bad after we were saved is that what we need for assurance?

IFBReformer