1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Curse of Genesis 3:17

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Martin Marprelate, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question was raised on another thread as to whether the curse of Genesis 3:17 extended to mankind. I think I may have been too hasty in agreeing that it did not.

Genesis 3:17-19. 'Then to Adam He said, "Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you saying, 'You shall not eat of it:' cursed is the ground for your sake [NIV 'because of you']: in toil shall you eat of it all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, and you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for dust you are, and to dust you shall return."'

So here we see a curse upon the earth, but its effects chiefly apply to man. Adam still had to till the land (cf. Genesis 2:15), but now, instead of being easy and delightful, it would be tough work, and so it has been ever since. And of course, part of the curse is death which is universal.

And in fact there is a curse on all those outside of Christ. Galatians 3:10 (quoting Deuteronomy 27:26). 'For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."' And James 2:10 adds, 'For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.' So unless we can keep the law completely and perfectly, which we cannot (1 John 1:8), we are under the curse.

Paul gives us more information about the curse in Romans 8:20-23. 'For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope......' So the whole of creation is subject to the curse, and that must include mankind. By 'futility' is meant, I think, apparently random acts like volcanoes, earthquakes, floods etc. These things, of course affect mankind. But, Paul tells us, there is hope. '.......For the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.' How will this come about? Through the atonement that comes through Jesus Christ. 'And He [Christ] Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but for the whole world' (1 John 2:2). In Christ, not only is there satisfaction to God for the sins of Christ's people, but the curse on the earth is also taken away. 'Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new"' (Rev. 21:5). 'And there shall be no more curse' (Rev. 22:3). 'Nevertheless, we, according to His promise, look for a new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells' (2 Peter 3:13).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was pondering these things the other day, while musing on our modern, extended lifespans.

It seemed to me that whatever we come up with to extend our lives or make them easy, we just found more problems. Health issues related to a sedentary lifestyle, age related diseases, & etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still don't see where "man is cursed." We deal with the effects of it. Paul's teaching in Galatian's dealt with the curse of the law and the Jews breaking their end of the covenant. That's completely different then Genesis 3 realities.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding post, brother. When I started reading this thread I was thinking of Paul’s words in Romans 8.

I think that perhaps “futility” goes a long way. When we look at the diseases and deaths in the world today, when we lose a friend to cancer, or struggle with aliments, we sometimes ask why God allows these things to happen. And Paul gives us the answer in Romans 8. The reason why these things happen is because of our sin, but also because of that hope that is to come to fruition when all is reconciled and we find ourselves in the likeness of our Savior.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We received spiritual and physical death due to the Fall, and all of creation is now groaning under it also!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That passage refers to all humans who are not found in Christ now, correct? And the world still awaits to be released fromit at the Second Coming, correct?