1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Dake Reference Bible and the Trinity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ron Arndt, Jan 23, 2006.

1. atestring

atestring New Member

Ranson ,
    Do you enjoy God ,or do you spend your time
    dissecting God?

2. Pete

Pete New Member

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

atestring, you seem to be ignoring all the biblical commands to hold to sound doctrine and to reject false teaching. Doing that is not called a witchhunt, it's called being discerning and using God's word as the measuring stick. To say God has a body is a heresy; God is spirit, according to Jesus himself. That is just one example. We are to reject teachings that are contrary to the bible.

4. atestring

atestring New Member

atestring, you seem to be ignoring all the biblical commands to hold to sound doctrine and to reject false teaching. Doing that is not called a witchhunt, it's called being discerning and using God's word as the measuring stick. To say God has a body is a heresy; God is spirit, according to Jesus himself. That is just one example. We are to reject teachings that are contrary to the bible. </font>[/QUOTE]Enjoy your witch hunting Marcia,
    It's what you do for a living!!!!!
    witch hunting sells!

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Not half as well as the witches do. I doubt all the discernment ministries combined could match a ¼ of what Benny Hinn gets in $$$...

But hey thanks for all the laughs atestring :laugh :D I love the way you consistently charge in to defend just about every kook on the planet, then get to work on anyone who dares to mention (*SHOCK!* *HORROR!*) "sound doctrine" :rolleyes: [​IMG]

Just out of interest, is there anyone on the planet (besides aforementioned people who mention sound doctrine) that you don't agree with? JWs? Mormons? Branch Davidians? Anyone? [​IMG] :D

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

atestring said:

Do you enjoy God ,or do you spend your time
    dissecting God?

I enjoy God enough to want to know as much about him as I can.

Do you enjoy God, or do you just enjoy picking useless fights?

By the way, how seriously should I take someone who can't spell my nickname properly even when it's posted right in front of him on the board?

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

</font>[/QUOTE]I Agree!

Dakes reference book is a travesty. Looking at a page it is difficult to know where Scripture starts since his heretical drivel completely surrounds the text of Scripture.

8. atestring

atestring New Member

I know very little about Dake. I prefer to not use a Bible that is one mans commentary.
    John Macarthur has his own Bible. I personally think he is a mean spirited heretic.
    I also know people that take what Scofield says over what the Bible says.
    If you want to slam someone look at macarthur and scofield. They are cult leaders (One dead and one alive) of the cessationist heresy.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've lived in a 1-bedroom apt. with my son for 13 yrs, atestring (I sleep, study, and do ministry in my living room). This juvenile personal attack on me only reveals how you are unable to discuss issues. You attack people instead of dealing witht the topic. How sad. :rolleyes:

I thought of reporting your attack and it would have been deleted by the moderators. But I decided to let it stand so people could see who you are.

10. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

In the words of Bear Bryant, "CAREFUL, SON."

11. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

I think Dake brings out some good points about God having a form.He first states Jesus himself said his Father has a shape. John 5:37. The bible states that Moses SAW God's backside. God was heard WALKING in the Garden of Eden. Daniel in his vision of Daniel chapter 7 saw God the Father SITTING on a throne. God ate a meal and was with Abraham, along with two angels in a tent at Mamre.Genesis 18:1-5. Jacob wrestled physically with God.It is recorded in the last part of Revelation, that someday when the Lord returns and there is a new heavens and earth, the saints of God will see the FACE of God.Revelation 22:3-4

All these things are impossible to accept, unless they are taken for just what the scriptures say.

Now certainly a phantom like spirit that is invisible could do none of these things. Did God simply take on human form when he was seen and did the things I mentioned? My whole point is, Dake's scriptural references DO have some validity.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus clearly states in John 4 that God is Spirit. I see your point, but teaching that God has a body is clearly unscriptural and I do not think that the passages you cite teach that God has a body.

I think some of the passages you cite are anthropomorphisms.

13. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Marcia

It is true that John 4:24 states God is spirit, but this is not the same as saying God is A spirit, like a ghost or an invisible phantom. For when we compare OTHER scriptures which speak of God, he is a PERSON, with emotion, will and intellect. Also, as I posted previously, how do you explain the fact that God was visibly SEEN by Abraham and Moses? Were they seeing God assuming a human like body for the moment? And what of Daniel the prophet? Did he really see God seated on a throne in heaven or not? And lastly, is the promise to the saints of God a lie in Rev 22:14, where they are promised to see the face of God someday in the eternal state? Does God in his word mean what he says or is this all fanciful thinking? We must take ALL of God's word on a subject when deciding the fullness of truth and not just one verse to suit our fancy.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ron, even if Daniel saw God, that does not mean God has a body.

Do you think God actually has a physical body?

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ron, I don't see from Rev. 22.14 that we are promised to see God face to face.

16. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Marcia

Sorry, my error.It is Rev 22:4

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for the correction.

But does seeing God's face mean that He has a physical body? I just don't see that from the scriptures.

I have been told and have read that when the OT speaks of Moses seeing God face to face in Ex 33.11, that was a Hebrew idiom for close, one-on-one contact, not that Moses saw God's literal face.

So do you think God has a physical body?

18. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Marcia

Ex 33:23 is very clear and direct. Please read what God told Moses.

" And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt SEE MY BACK PARTS but my FACE shall not be seen."(emphasis mine)

Nothing could be clearer than this statement from God to Moses that God indeed has a form and a face. Also did you read Genesis 18:1-5? Here the LORD, along with two angels visited and ate food with Abraham in the desert of Mamre.

Either we take the bible for what it says or we give the scriptures a meaning it was never intended to have.

Now you ask do I think God has a physical body? No, he has a SPIRITUAL body, but that body has a shape or form as our physical bodies. All bodies in creation have shape or form. There are earthly bodies of the flesh and heavenly bodies of the spiritual world. Nevertheless, all have form and shape to them. Whether they be God the Father, angels or the departed souls of men.

In conclusion either scripture must be taken for what it says about God or we can twist scripture into any meaning until it is all explained away.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus said God is spirit, and Jesus said that a spirit does not have flesh and bones (Luke 24.39), so we know that these references to God's "back parts" and such are not references to a physical body.

I never said God does not have a form. But Dake seems to be saying God does have a body:
    "He has bodily presence and goes from place to place in a body like all other persons."

A "bodily presence" would certainly make one think of a body, would it not? So I must still disagree with you that Dake makes some good points in what he says about God.

20. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Marcia

When Jesus said a spirit does not have flesh and bones, he meant a ghost or a phantom does not have a physical body. You see, the apostles thought they had seen the ghost of Jesus.But remember God is not A spirit, but is spirit or a spiritual being, with a shape, intellect, a will and emotions. He presently resides in heaven.

Further if God were just a spirit or phantom without form or shape, then how do you explain God allowing Moses to see his BACK PARTS? Ex 33. How do you explain God coming to Abraham in the desert of Mamre, with two angels and eating with Abraham? And as I said God promises to his saints, they will see his FACE in the eternal state someday? Is God pulling our leg here? Also, I forgot to mention that when Stephen the evangelist was dying in Acts 7:55-59 he saw Jesus standing on the right hand of God IN HEAVEN.

Remember, we must take ALL the scriptures into account when studying a subject.Shalom.