1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Dangers of Non-Accredited Degrees

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Oct 5, 2007.

1. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Thank you North Carolina Tentmaker. At this point, my wife is against sending her to a public school. I don't think she realizes what is at stake here as far as my daughter getting into a nursing school. My own opinion is that the pastor is of the opinion that women should not enter the working world as a nurse or anything else for that matter. I am also of the opinion that he nor any of his staff is qualified to teach subjects such as biology at the h.s. level. Last year he refused to give my daughter classes in algebra. He said something to the effect that 'I'm just not going to do it'. He is against the public school system & has made that point well known in no uncertain terms. The school in Fla. is Pensacola Christain College. But financially, that option will more than likely be off the table. Yes, he did recommend Hyles, but that is out of the question as far as I'm concerned. My daughter has said that she wants to attend college locally so she can be near our families. When she told the pastor this, his reply was that she was being selfish. I have no idea what he meant by this remark, but it has reached the point that I am going to have to voice my concerns to the pastor & his son. If they are unwilling to give my daughter the course work that she needs, be it lack of knowledge, apathy, or whatever, than I am going to have no choice other than to transfer her to a public school before it's too late. She is not being challenged in her school work, which in my opinion is one of the keys to higher learning. She is getting the basics & that's it. I am also going to look into the supplemental classes that you recommended, but more than likely will be pulling her out of this church school. I am not going to put my daughter's future at stake to appease this pastor & quite frankly, I resent his interference with regards to what my daughter wants to do with her life. After all, she wants to be a nurse, not a politician. Thank you for hearing me out, & allowing me to vent. God bless.

2. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Thank you North Carolina Tentmaker. At this point, my wife is against sending her to a public school. I don't think she realizes what is at stake here as far as my daughter getting into a nursing school. My own opinion is that the pastor is of the opinion that women should not enter the working world as a nurse or anything else for that matter. I am also of the opinion that he nor any of his staff is qualified to teach subjects such as biology at the h.s. level. Last year he refused to give my daughter classes in algebra. He said something to the effect that 'I'm just not going to do it'. He is against the public school system & has made that point well known in no uncertain terms. The school in Fla. is Pensacola Christain College. But financially, that option will more than likely be off the table. Yes, he did recommend Hyles, but that is out of the question as far as I'm concerned. My daughter has said that she wants to attend college locally so she can be near our families. When she told the pastor this, his reply was that she was being selfish. I have no idea what he meant by this remark, but it has reached the point that I am going to have to voice my concerns to the pastor & his son. If they are unwilling to give my daughter the course work that she needs, be it lack of knowledge, apathy, or whatever, than I am going to have no choice other than to transfer her to a public school before it's too late. She is not being challenged in her school work, which in my opinion is one of the keys to higher learning. She is getting the basics & that's it. I am also going to look into the supplemental classes that you recommended, but more than likely will be pulling her out of this church school. I am not going to put my daughter's future at stake to appease this pastor & quite frankly, I resent his interference with regards to what my daughter wants to do with her life. After all, she wants to be a nurse, not a politician. Thank you for hearing me out, & allowing me to vent. God bless.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Your welcome Strykero1 and welcome to the board. You are going to have to work on that double post thing though (think patience).

Just a couple more thoughts; first off, you, your wife, and your daughter need to be together on this thing. If your wife is opposed to public school you need to be very careful what you do here. There are lots of homeschool and afterschool options to consider. You don't want to undermine each other's authority. If you are going to stay in the church you need to be careful how you handle the pastor as well. If you establish a stiuation where he has no authority how can you expect your daughter to profit under his preaching and teaching? Or how can you? I'm not saying that to push you out of the church or anything, pastors aren't perfect and I am not saying he is a bad guy, just that you need to be careful.

When it comes to the cost of college, well they all cost a lot. There are scholarships, grants, and loans available and of course most schools have work/study part time jobs available also. This is a big decision and needs to be a matter of much prayer. God has a specific will for your daughter's life and He will provide the means for that will. Every school has financial aid offices that can help.

I will be praying for you and your family so let us know what happens.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

More than likely you can get home schooling material through your local christian bookstore. I have seen some of the math material and know they can order algebra,geometry,trigonometry,chemestry,and biology,as well general science books for you. So you could use several options, one of which is keep her where she is and teach her these other subjects at home.

By the way an RN is usually a 2 year degree and can be done at a Junior college. You can even save time and money on that if you have your daughter take the CLEP test (which can be taken at any junior college),that will give her 1 year of college saving time and expense.:godisgood:

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Northe Carolina Tentmaker has given you some very sound counsel.:godisgood:

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Your post is sad and disturbing. It sounds like you may need to attend a new church. The pastor and his son are clearly on a power trip.

I want you to remember that you are your daughter's father. You are responsible for her. There is absolutely nothing selfish about your daughter wanting to go to school near her families. Families are a gift from God.

No one can stand in for you as a father like you can! I hope you can help your wife see that. Having your daughter live at home and attend nursing school is a win, win, win. She stays with her family, attends church with you, and studies nearby! How can that be selfish or wrong?

Whatever you do, please don't send her to Hyles-Anderson or PCC.

You are the father. Love your daughter and listen to her.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I have three children who skipped their last two years of high school and entered community colleges. They had algebra I and II and geometry.

If you daughter is not getting the help she needs, you may want to enroll her in a math class at the local community college. You may also want her to take biology or chemistry at the local community college.

Otherwise, get her into a high school for her senior year where she can at least take algebra, biology, and chemistry.

I would recommend that your daughter take all of the nursing prerequistes her first year of college. These are anatomy and physiology I & II, college algebra, chemistry, microbiology, composition, etc. Then when she enters the nursing program, she will only have to focus on nursing courses.

Can I be blunt? Why are you still attending that church and using that school?

#47 Paul33, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I disagree. It sounds like you attend a church where the husband is the head of the wife teaching is pronounced. If this is the case, then why can't you as the husband sit down with your wife and explain reality to her. I think she esteems the pastor and his son more than she should. There is nothing "sinful" about getting the best education possible for your daughter or helping her achieve her dreams.

Something seems really out of whack here.

You and your daughter need to go to the local community college and explain your situation. Did you know that your daughter can begin college at age 16 at any community college? Maybe that's what you should do. Let her start college.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

What exactly do you disagree with Paul? You don't think this family should discuss the situation and reach some agreement before they proceed? Are you advocating that he simply dictate to his wife and daughter what they will do?

I don't think that is what you meant to say. I agree with your comments on the community college, and they may be the best choice but there are accredited programs she could take at other colleges like PCC as well. I think you are a little off asking him to exclude those programs. We don't know God's will for this girl. I would agree with you that Hyles Anderson seems like a poor fit in this case (unacredited, no nursing program, if she wants to be an RN it would be a waste of her time).

No matter what they do it is his daughter that is going to have to do the work if she wants to graduate and become an RN. I think her input should be considered. Regardless of what his church teaches about marriage I think he needs to talk to his wife as well. If they don't agree then it could lead to major problems down the road. This to me is a time to build concensus not to dictate action.

I agree with you that something does seem out of whack, but I don't think we have enough information to condemn the pastor or his church and while I suspect that changing churches may be in Strykero1's future I would never recomend that without more information.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the pastor refuses to let this girl take Algebra, he has absolutely no business in education, period.

She's never going to get anywhere in nursing school if she has no foundation in math. Get her in a math program ASAP.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hi Tentmaker,

Sorry I wasn't more precise. What I disagree with is the wife's opposition to public schools dictating the outcome of the discusion before it even gets started. A public high school might be the best option for this family. It seemed that you were willing to take this option off of the table because the wife is against it.

That's what I disagree with.

Yes, they do need to talk as a family, but I don't think the wife should have "veto" power.

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Styker,

Do a google search on student reviews of PCC. When you see how they treat young adults, ask yourself if that is the environment you want your daughter in.

The pastor of your church blows you off when you want your daughter to take algebra. If that rubs you the wrong way, then please don't send your daughter to PCC.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Chiming in with an Amen here.

You know there are correspondence/online possibilities for the maths you mentioned Styker.

14. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The University of Nebraska used to do all sorts of High School courses by correspondence years ago - I'd guess others do as well.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Right now, I believe there are quite a few accredited and non-accredited, Christian and secular schools that do. A google would probably provide page after page.

I know Indiana University does as well. I've seen other schools mentioned for HS courses on Distance Ed forums.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty University offers an online academy for homeschool students.

Click Here.

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

Yes I think I can agree with your disagreement.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not anymore.