1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Death of Timothy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we all need encouragement sometimes, and even appreciate "validation" among our peers. We do, as a Body, rely on our peers to keep us in line, do we not? And one of the beauties of Forum fellowship is most here are students of the Word, so where better to challenge our Theology and Ministries?

The OP is fairly simple, it is the question, basically...

"...is open air preaching a valid ministry?"

That he feels that people have spoken to him in discouraging, rather than edifying ways, is not something we should be surprised about either. And it cannot be denied...I have personally witnessed this, and was shocked, because we don't have many who have the courage to do what he does. It is, in my view, a gift from God and it is my opinion God is leading him in this.

We should encourage, and edify, all of our brothers and sisters in whatever ministry they perform.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is that relevant to what I said?

Who did Jeremiah disciple? Did Paul minister to all those who fell under his voice when he was preaching open air? How about Christ? Could we accuse Him of not "following up" because He didn't minister to everyone falling under His voice?

For discipleship to take place in regards to open air preaching, the first step is the response of the hearer, who must approach the preacher to let them know they have received the message. We can't force people to follow up.

I am in total agreement that discipleship is a serious problem for us, but, I don't see the rigid application that seems to be thrust on an open air preacher. It is a unique ministry which requires a response from the hearers for any reasonable discipleship might be considered reasonable.

I witness to people all the time, without follow up. The reason? Because many of these encounters are one time encounters, and I trust that at best I have planted a seed that can be watered somewhere down the line by someone else.

The same is true for open air preaching.

God bless.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine, who was before being ordained an open air preacher (and he may still do it, not sure about that), put his number on all of his tracts, so thought I would ask if you do that, and if not, just wanted to suggest it.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wasn't there, lol. It's a reference to Han Solo speaking to Princess Leia in Star Wars, one of my favorite movies.

We all get to a point where we just need to lighten up a little.

God bless.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a good idea. However it won't work with all tracts due to lack of space (Million dollar bill tract) etc., But for those tracts that have space thats a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you get tracts that allow you to follow up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well said post.
    I have a ton of different types of tracts and by far the most popular is the million dollar bill tract.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most popular to whom? Those who use tracks or those who receive them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use to use these but thought that someone might get angry at being fooled, so stopped using them. My favorite tracts are Chick Tracts (which can have info placed on the back to encourage follow up), because it is just a proven method for getting people to read...who doesn't like cartoons? Some of them are offensive, though, particularly the Catholic tracts. Some might think it might "shake someone up" but the primary result is that people are offended.

These days, though, I prefer simply to talk to people.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also use Chic tacts however they cost a bit more than a pack of million dollar bills. I talk to people, but this is not always possible especially after a event such as what I went to today being the Denver St. Patricks Day Parade. There was possibly thousands of souls at the event most of which were watching the parade. It was difficult to talk to anyone and open air preaching was out of the question. So the best approach was passing out gospel tracts of which I did. But I hear you about Chic tracts and plan to use them for another festival later this year.

I had one conversation with a Christian Science cultist who was very confused on what her church taught. I mean she attends a Christian Science reading room, yet thinks of herself as a legit Christian church and unaware of the teachings in the church.

• Like Like x 1
  11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably both. If we look at annual tract sales I bet a donut the million dollar bill sells more than any other type of gospel tract in the world. Three different tract publishers create many different types of them.

Those who receive them also. Everyone seems to want the million dollar bill tract because they look like money. Some of them are more realistic than others and they are even more popular among souls.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sale of tracts are no indicator of how well they are received. In fact most people who hand out tracks actually interact with those who receive them very few times.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You try interacting with the thousands of people at the Denver St. Patrick's day parade! I passed out 100 tracts and it was difficult given all the noise and activities.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So at that parade everyone you passed a tract too told you which tract was their favorite and they all picked the one you said was most popular?

Or did you use my questions as a springboard to tell everyone what you did?

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell us that you do not use those at restaurants in lieu of tips.

My own opinion. Any tract that uses deceit as a hook to grab interest is not one that should be distributed. There are better options.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mitchell;

At the parade I was interested in passing out the gospel and speaking with anyone that would listen. The spirit even prompted me to reach out to a young homeless man. You may criticize me and my methods, but look at the facts here. I am the one out witnessing to the lost, but you are not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You have knowledge as to whether I am out witnessing to the lost? Please provide all of us on this board this evidence you have to prove I am not out witnessing to the lost. I am patiently waiting.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How often are you out on the streets passing out tracts, talking with the lost, and open air preaching?

Or do you go door to door?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bye the way if you say you are often out doing this, then I offer my apology for stating a falsehood as if it were fact. But if you make some excuse for not being out witnessing or try and argue with me about the ineffectiveness of street evangelism, then my point remains.

• Like Like x 1