1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The deity of Christ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello revmwc,

Thanks for your reply. I do agree that it is simple. I would like to ask you a few things.

1st, in case you didn't know, I am a 5 point Calvinist. :) I just felt you should know that.

Now we all...that is all within Orthodox. This last year however, we have had posters on this board that say..."maybe God does not know everything." I kid not. But it is my guess you believe God does indeed know all things, even before they happen.

so...What do you think "foreknow" means in Romans 8: 29?

does it mean..... God knows before hand ABOUT the subject? In this case...what a person believes.???

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

why do you say this?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I stopped it when I saw Steven Anderson. I felt like I was watching a propaganda film. :rolleyes:

Who would take this video seriously?

#24 Amy.G, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The Holy Spirit draws all men to God some reject His drawing, they quench the Holy Spirits calling. They resist the calling of the Holy Spirit. Many pastors will tell you when God began calling them to the ministry they resisted the call, the same with mankind and resisting the call of the Spirit to salvation they reject it.

The natural man that is the unsaved man cannot understand the things of the Spirit why because they haven't been spiritually born. If you weren;t born into a specific culture then what they do in that culture is foolishness to you. If you were raised and taught the Calvanist view all other teaching is foolishness to you doesn't mean it is wrong it means you weren't taught that way. For an Arminian the Calvanist doctrine is wrong again doesn't make it wrong but that is not what they were taught.
    When a person is born Spiritually they begin to understand the things of the Spirit why because now they can discern them through the Holy spirit who now indwels them and the Spiritual life they have from accepting Christ.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adhering to core essentials of Christian faith is orthodox.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who posted it? Mr Pink over here.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Yes I understand revmwc,

But do you understand that both Calvinism and Arminians say they hold to Paulineism?

Another way people say this is like..."I'm not Calvinist nor Arminian, but rather Biblicist"

Now that too is a rather silly statement. Both Calvinist and Arminians both study the Bible. A so called Biblicist is no better than the two. In fact, I have found that those that say such things are lacking in Bible study. Now this is not to say you are. You may know way more than me and every other Calvinist. I'm just telling you that ever single time a person says they are not Calvinist or Arminian, but rather a GREAT AND POWERFUL Biblicist they turnout to be a poorly studied Arminian.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your playing both ends against the middle. I was not born into Arminian or Calvinist doctrines.

10. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It does seem pretty straight forward to me. I have received the Lord Jesus Christ. I have humbly submitted and obeyed the GOspel. Thanks for asking.

What I am not finding in the Scriptures is this teaching:

Specifically, I am not finding the text saying God foreknew the choice I would make. Rather, I am finding the text saying "For whom He did foreknow.."

It seems to me that we would be reading into the text to have it mean, "God knew the choice.."

If the english is correct to the Greek tense and pronoun (and I believe it is) then this telling me that God foreknew persons, not decisions. It is telling me that the people(persons) God knew, these same people He also predestined.

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

aaaaaw yes pink it is..

:)

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love a confident Guy in a Tuxedo! You go Pinkie, you go! LOL!

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

God knew us before the foudation of the earth, Christ said in Luke 12:7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows. God knosw the exact number of hairs on your head therefore He knew the choices you would make. Christ made it clear that God knows everything.

Matthew 5: 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Psalms 139: 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
    God knew DAvid before He was ever born and knew the choices he would make. 14I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK revmwc :

Do you believe in Radical Depravity as it applies to the Doctrines Of Grace.....are all men by nature sinners in your view?

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to think of a Christian not believing in the divinity of Christ, that is kinda the whole point, isn't it? I'm aware some wish to claim the label Christian without the divinity, but John seems to me to have handled this in his epistles and gospel.

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I believe in the total depravity of men. That all humanbeings are born with an OLd Sin Nature in them passed from father to children. That Christ had no Old Sin Nature because he had no earthly father. That He was truly God and truly man. Two natures in one person, the nature of God and the created Nature of man.
    I also believe there are no degrees of punishment for the unbeliever. That of course is another subject.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello revmwc,

Those are very good verses that we both agree with. I'm sorry, but I must not have ben clear revmwc.

When Romans 8:29 says..."For those God foreknew he also predestined......"

What does "Foreknew" mean here?

Does it mean that God knows all things?

Or does it mean something else?

I don't want to put words in your month.

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Drive-by poster here.

Just wanted to drop in to ask, if our election is based on God's foreseeing my faith and my choice of Jesus as savior, didn't I elect myself?

Oh, so I don't ignore the OP, when an Arminian says he believes in the deity of Christ, I believe him.

#38 Tom Butler, Apr 4, 2011
  19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more I read about Calvin and the more I read posts by Calvinists on this BB the more convinced I am that Calvin was very wrong.

Now about the OP. I strongly believe in free-will ... the Calvinists have convinced me this is the correct belief. And about the deity of Christ this is what I say ....

"Christ was God in human form or earth."

In another thread I said this and ask a Calvinist if he believed this is a true statement. He responded with smoke and mirrors. I have yet to have a Calvinist agree that Christ was God in human for on earth. So, up to this time it seems to me that Calvinist have not agreed to Christ's deity. However I expect it was just that individuals standard non reply to questions. I believe, and I hope I am correct, that both camps acknowledge Christ's deity.

Blessings.

#39 Crabtownboy, Apr 4, 2011
  20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello crabtown,

Yes there are some Calvinist that do say some very stupid things. This guy is just one of them. Shame on him and shame on them that say stupid things.

But I think you will agree that non-Calvinist have people that say stupid things too.

Like...Calvinism is a false doctrine. Do you believe someone would say something like that?

Think about all the Calvinist...
    Men like...writer Carl F. H. Henry
    and the great preacher Charles Spurgeon
    Thousands came into the Kingdom hearing Spurgeon preach.

And todays writer Don Carson. What a great writer. What a man of God.
    And James Petigru Boyce......pastor, theologian, author, and seminary professor.

John F. MacArthur....think of all the people MacArthur has blessed.

Yet John is a Calvinist. so does that mean John is a false teacher?

and how about John Piper??
    or ...Joshua Harris
    or Wayne Grudem
    or Albert Mohler???

Is it not silly that some call these men preachers of a false doctrine?

The great...Martyn Lloyd-Jones...calvinist

wait...how about...William Carey?? Founder of missions. He was a Calvinist and people are saying he preached false doctine. That is strange...right?

or how about David Livingstone....Calvinist.

or how about John Eliot,???...Calvinist

or how about Adoniram Judson....a Calvinist

or... the first missionary to the American Indians.... David Brainerd,...a Calvinist

Think of all the people they shared the gospel with...and some say these men preached a false doctrine. man oh man...how silly can you get?

and how about John Bunyan???, Think of the millions that have read The Pilgrim's Progress.

The Pilgrim's Progress is false doctrine??? really?

how about all the song writers that were Calvinist??

John Newton....Amazing Grace
    Augustus Toplady,......Rock of Ages
    William Cowper.......There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood
    Joseph Hart, ........ Come, Ye Sinners

These men were false teachers?

Isaac Watts wrote 750 hymns
    ....This is the day the Lord has made.......
    .....Alas! and did my Saviour bleed...........
    When I survey the wondrous cross....
    O God, Our Help in Ages Past......
    Joy to the world! ...

Do you sing Isaac Watts songs? Is this a false doctrine? Isaac Watts was a Calvinist

Is that not silly?

don't forget J.C. Ryle and B.H. Carroll who also were Calvinist.

how about the great writer..William Hendriksen. Man...he has blessed me.

Is he a false teacher?

and...

Charles Hodge ...and AW Pink, ......Cornelius Van Til, ........Gerhardus Vos, ........B.B. Warfield, ...........Thomas Watson. ALL OF THESE MEN ARE FALSE TEACHERS??

[FONT=&quot] Jonathan Edwards...and "sinners in the hands ...."....all the thousands that have come to Christ after hearing Edwards....are not really saved??? Was he a false teacher?[/FONT]

How many believed in Christ after hearing[FONT=&quot]George Whitefield? Thousands? Were they saved? Was he too a False teacher? He was a Calvinist..right?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]all the Puritans[/FONT] were false teachers?

wow...is that not crazy??