1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Demise of the Religious Right?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The cover story of Sunday’s New York Times Magazine pronounced the demise of the religious right in America. The ranks are demoralized, split, and liberal evangelicals are taking over with a new agenda for the environment and the poor. On the editorial page, the acerbic Frank Rich coordinated his column with the magazine, concluding, “Inauguration Day 2009 is at the very least Armageddon for the reigning ayatollahs of the American right.”

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071101/29928_The_Demise_of_the_Religious_Right?.htm

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frank Rich and the New York Times are dreaming. The Religious Right is alive and well. It maybe going through some changes, but it is alive and well.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Religious Right? If the author is correct I say, "Bye bye and good riddance."

I would say the same thing about the demise of the Religious Left.

It should be Christians' relationship with Christ Jesus that should define us as people, not politics.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The press is consistently referring to us as "The Religious Right". They want to define us as thus. Whatever they define us as they will never define us as having a living relationship Christ, Christian. It would be great if we could get back to be labeled as Christian as we were first called in Antioch.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I totally agree. But under the Christian tent would be a much broader spectrum of political views. For one thing, many of them (half?) would be (gasp) Democrats. I don't think that's exactly what the current leadership of the Religious Right would have in mind.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I agree we are Christians who want this country to return to its morals.
    Which we have strayed far from.

Most so-called "christians" are watered-down and look for loop-holes in everything. Most seem to think they can do anything they want because, God will forgive them. He can also turn them over to a reprobate mind.

I know most people don't like to hear this but we are "cookie cutter Christians" and we are God's children. (sheep)
    We read the same book and we have to follow the same rules. We can't go our own way.

I've heard Christians referred to as the "religious right" and "Religious Reich."

I'm not either I follow Christ, therefore I'm a Christian.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we are not. We come to Christ Jesus in repentance and faith from a variety of backgrounds and circumstances.

"Cookie cutter" rhetoric sounds too much like the Church of Christ that I spent decades as a member of.

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I only said it because we do read the same book and follow the same rules. It's not derogatory to say that.

So, what rules and commandments are you allowed to slide on?

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

What was the source of that article again? Oh yeah...the New York Times Magazine; nothing more than over priced toilet paper.

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/Column.aspx?ContentGuid=f3e6f68b-c1f8-4c9b-abaa-b687336762c8

Frank Pastore: There is a huge effort by the mainstream media and on the left … to get you convinced that conservative Christianity is on the way out. Folks in the mainstream media are trying to pound that message down your throat. There are some willing accomplices at seminaries and even denominations and so it is important to hear from “the leadership” on what is actually is going on. How are we doing on the battle, in the culture war? Are we having an influence? …
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Family Research Council President Tony Perkins addresses his group's "Values Voter Summit" in Washington October 19, 2007. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst (UNITED STATES)

It’s not time to get discouraged—now is the time to rally and to realize that we are not about a political party. We are about God’s Kingdom, and that is really the larger theme…. You know that there is an effort to try to discourage the conservative evangelical voter—that, “You know what? You don’t count anymore. You don’t matter. Your agenda’s old hat, look what the Republican Party is doing. You conservative Christians, go have a holy huddle on Sunday morning and go back to doing that, because you don’t have any influence on culture.”
    Tony Perkins: It’s fascinating. You see these stories that cycle [through] about every four to eight years. I am actually working on a book with Bishop Harry Jackson, “Personal Faith, Public Policy” and our first chapter is “Is the Religious Right Dead?” I went back and did some research. Newspaper articles almost every four years or eight at best write the obituaries of these social conservative Christians. Saying the movement is over, it is never going anywhere.
    The fact is, as you set the stage for this discussion, what we are doing in terms of the Religious Right, to use their terminology, we are the apologists for the values that the vast majority of Americans share. What we talk about as mainstream is mainstream, was mainstream. Our groups really emerged on the scene 25 years ago to defend what was normal only because the other side began to attack them. And there is a big push, you’re right; there is a big push by the left to draw unwitting evangelicals into these other issues like global warming. Let me say that it is an issue of concern to Christians—the environment is an issue of concern, poverty is an issue of concern. The Bible is very clear about that, and as Christians we are involved in that, but it is how we address it and the priorities which we give it. Those on the left, they want to focus exclusively on issues of poverty, exclusively on this issue of global warming.
    And I have a chapter in the book about global warming which really is probably the thing I am most passionate about in this book. I am a conservationist—when I was in office I was the vice chair of the environmental committee, I have passed legislation that deals with the environment. I love the outdoors, but God created the earth and God sustains the earth. Man cannot save the earth any more then he can save himself. Too many Christians are being sucked in—really it is nothing more then earth worship when we talk about the policy initiatives that these global warming theorists want to advance. .....

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

So sadly is "The Religious Wrong". :)

12. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I agree with the article. The conservative, Christian perspective is on the way out. It is no tolerated to be intolerant of others. The Religious Right, as rightly titled are a dying breed and are rarely portrayed in an accurate and good light by the media and others. Politics and religion do go together, when your views are rightly aligned with scripture, then you will be able to find a like minded person in politics to vote for and back. That's why I am a conservative republican. Because that seems to be the party that has a candidate that closely resemebles my Biblical View.

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

It is alive , well and flurishing.:thumbs: :jesus: